Main Menu

Upcoming Gigs

Started by CrazyFoxMachine, 23 April, 2014, 11:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keef Monkey

Faith No More in Glasgow in June, can't wait. One of my all time life-long favorite bands, only managed to catch them once before and it was absolute gig nirvana so this should be fun! It's at the Academy though which is a downer, I've never heard a decent mix in there.

Albion

Faith No More for me too, at The Roundhouse. :D
Seen them quite a few times over the last 25 years. One of my favourites.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

I, Cosh

Quote from: The Cosh on 25 January, 2015, 11:50:51 PM
So, to try and makes things a bit more definite, I bought tickets to see Bjork in New York at Easter. Quite interested in any other potential rhyming gigs: U2 at the zoo, AC/DC at the bottom of the sea, that sort of thing.
Hilariously, this gig was cancelled.

Last week me and a mate went to see Twilight Sad. Arrived around 9:15, saw two and a half songs, then they finished and I've just realised I'm missing A Place to Bury Strangers tonight as well. Gah!

Still, hope springs eternal. Tickets purchased for Bob Dylan in July, Cut Hands and a trip to Les Nuits Sonores in Lyon in May. Also contemplating Godspeed You! Black Emperor the night before my birthday and Body Count in June.
We never really die.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: The Cosh on 16 April, 2015, 07:31:59 PM

Last week me and a mate went to see Twilight Sad. Arrived around 9:15, saw two and a half songs, then they finished and I've just realised I'm missing A Place to Bury Strangers tonight as well. Gah!

That sounds like a ridiculously early start! Been stung by that sort of thing occasionally, 9pm is usually the optimal arrival time if I want to skip the support bands but once in a while they'll catch you out.

Might look into Godspeed, been really enjoying the new record.

Fungus

9pm as a rule-of-thumb sounds pretty risky to me  :-\
Been caught out by Dylan due to an "early" start and that's.... annoying.
Doesn't help that support acts are almost always terrible, and often excruciating!

I, Cosh

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 17 April, 2015, 09:46:38 AM
That sounds like a ridiculously early start! Been stung by that sort of thing occasionally, 9pm is usually the optimal arrival time if I want to skip the support bands but once in a while they'll catch you out.
Yeah. 9pm is always my strategy as well, unless they actually tell you it's an early start. I do have one mate who always insists on being there at starting time. I genuinely believe he's seen every band on every bill at every gig he's been to since he was 14.

I was aware that Dylan is always on stage early and never has a support these days. He played the SECC a few years ago with a 7:30 doors open time on the ticket. We got there around ten to eight to be told we'd already missed five songs.
We never really die.

Colin YNWA

Oh I don't know about support acts being hard work. I mean sure they can be, but you can also find some gems in there. They can be a great source of discovery. That's before you consider the numerous gigs were the support has been the reason I've gone and have in fact left before or during the headliners.

Normally I'll aim to get to a 7.30 doors gig for 8pmish to catch the support. After all in a decent venue there are worse fates than proping up the bar with ya mates!

Keef Monkey

I do like the increasing trend for bands to tweet/facebook the set times on the day of a gig, off to Therapy? tonight and they're saying an 8:30pm start so I know to be punctual! Can't wait, must have seen them a dozen times and always, always grin like a loon throughout. Fantastic live band, and the new album is a corker.

CrazyFoxMachine

Earthless & Black Bombaim in Bristol next month, two killer spacey psychy riffy rocky bands to continue my buzz after seeing the almighty Sleep at Desertfest in London last Sunday :O

Jacqusie

Belle and Sebastian tonight at Buxton Opera House.

They are what I would call a great working band that put great time and effort into a show & people love going to see them as much as they love playing, great stuff!

I, Cosh

Quote from: The Cosh on 25 January, 2015, 11:50:51 PM
... tickets to see Bjork in New York at Easter ...
Hilariously, this gig was cancelled.
Being an optimistic sort, I'm now planning to see Bjork at Spandau Citadel in Berlin. Bit disappointed it's not the prison, but you can't have everything.

More pressingly, I'm taking advantage of an evening in London to catch the return of the mighty Prolapse tonight. Excited.
We never really die.

Keef Monkey

Got a few June gigs to go to so should be a fun month.

Got Faith No More, Mogwai (twice) and um, Taylor Swift (work have a box at the venue so we decided we might as well pop along to something, reckon it'll be a fun night out) all in the same fortnight. An eclectic month's entertainment will be had!

Jacqusie

Bryan Ferry at the City Hall Sheffield...

Don't laugh back there, he was brilliant!

Si

I, Cosh

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 29 May, 2015, 04:46:37 PM
Got a few June gigs to go to... Mogwai (twice)
I would exhort you to ignore the recently discussed 9pm arrivals policy and make sure you get to the Barrowlands in time to see Prolapse. Not sure exactly how it'll translate to a bigger venue but their gig last Friday was fantastic. Still got the same bile and stage presence as before but with an added tight, buzzing edge to the sound.
We never really die.

amines2058

Hmmm just seen that Slayer and Anthrax are doing a UK tour in November, including playing at Newport Centre. That could be a potential future gig, just for a heavy blast from the past!