Main Menu

Subscribers - What is this weeks prog like?

Started by davidtobin100, 29 January, 2002, 02:47:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidtobin100

korky

dredd is ok could have been a two or three parter,maybe they will go back to it one day or even a spin off about cadets. the rest is getting weaker by the prog but i'll stick with it......ZARJAZ lives but not this week.

nathan

It's got a sooperdooper cover unlike any you have ever seen before, a very enjoyable Dredd, an episode of Shakara with STORY, everything kicking off Frisco-style in Storming Heaven , a Future Shock and a packet of KP Krool Hearts. Pretty good prog all in all.

N

Leigh S

I thought this weeks Dredd was very good.  That's two good Dredd stories from Rennie in recent times (the other being couch potatoes).  The idea of the parks continued existence is at first extremely unlikely, and I was braced for a story that just didn't 'feel' right (as with 99% of non-Wagner tales). However, rather than sidestep the issue, the park is explained away in a very Wagnerian manner - very impressive, especially after a few weeks of lacklustre Dredd.  It's always nice to have a story that expands the City a little, reminiscent of those early days where every other story brought another fad or place or crazy into Dredd's world.

Shakara does indeed develop a plot this week, and the story may well be starting to kick in.  The backstory sounds much more interesting than Shakara killing things and the eyeball guy is cool - Henry Flint is certainly one of the best artists from the last 20 years.

Unfortunately, Storming Heaven continues with Caliban killing things and not much else.  Of all the directions the story could have gone, this has been the most obvious and least interesting IMO.  Rennie seems to have done a little reading around the subject and more than likely is interested in the era, so a story that pitted Trips against the Government, rather than a pantomime 'Millar' villain would have been more involving - The 'flower power' revolution is very fertile ground for a really interesting story - what exactly did the love generation achieve, how did their ideals hold up against grim reality? The story really needs another level to make it a classic.  As it is it's nice eye-candy but fairly shallow plot-wise.

The future shock's shock falls into a common trap - the 'shock' does not flow naturally from the events of the story, but relies on the existence of complicated mcguffin style technology to work.  It's a bit like having an exam and being able to write your own questions as well as the answers!

Which leaves Bad Company - I'm not about to praise the art here, but this is actually an improvement on Ewins 'Kano' and mid 90's Dredd stories. Story wise there are a few nice ideas
that sadly go undeveloped (Frank's years as the Krool heart, a Krool version of the original Bad Co, etc.).

Overall, quite good and certainly an improvement on the last few progs.  

Thread Zero

I think the last two posts define this board.

Yes and no.
Good or bad.

Who knows what good is?
I haven't a clue anymore. This is good, this is crap, blah blah blah.

It all gets rather dull in the end.

And so I face the final curtain....I did it my way...

scojo says goodbye and loves you all
Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Let only the guilty fear me.
For I am the law. I am Judge Dredd.

Fade to Black.

The End.

nathan

"the 'shock' does not flow naturally from the events of the story, but relies on the existence of complicated mcguffin style technology to work"

Oi! Nothing to do with me, guv!

Nathan McGuffin.

nathan

"It all gets rather dull in the end. "

Scojo, everyone likes different things that's the beauty of the anthology format. I even saw a letter in Input from someone who liked Killer!
Different strokes for different folks and all that. You say tomato, I say tomato etc.

It's only dull when it turns into a long thread of opposing, unsupported views (cue panto voice offstage, "oh no it isn't!") Well that's what i think anyway, and if you disagree you're all wrong.

N

paulvonscott

Have you ever heard that version of the song that doesn't go 'You say tomato (X), I say tomata (Y)' but actally just repeats the same word phonetically twice.  

You say X, and I say X, let's call the whole thing off.

It always makes me smile to think about it.  I know that doesn't work in words, but I assure you it is funny in a very silly way.

Trough

My twopenny's worth:

Judge Dredd
A new and interesting setting in the Meg.  Definitely has possibilities although, as has already been pointed out, it probably won't be used again.  Shame.  Yeah, Rennie's done some good Dredd recently.

Shakara
At last, an indication of a plot!  And it's as weird as ever.  In an earlier thread I complained that recent 2000AD hasn't been strange enough, but Mr Morrison has now changed all that, and a good thing too.  Two thumbs up.

Storming Heaven
Still not enjoying it, and I think the reason is that I'm finding it quite slow.  The plot development so far could have been handled in a couple of episodes.

Future Shocks
There's a good story lurking in here, but the dialogue's a bit clunky.  Still, it's nice to see a FS that takes more than five seconds to read!

Bad Company
Trundling on and enjoyable enough.  One thing, though: didn't it suggest in a previous episode that Kano is Danny Franks' father?  Or was that just some sort of metaphor brought on by the big hallucination?  Or am I missing something somewhere?  Anybody know?

All in all: workmanlike rather than spectacular, but not bad by any means.

Trough

paulvonscott

ACtually Trough has summed up my thoughts exactly, so there isn't much point in me going on.

But I will.

Yeah, great, there did seem to be a post seasonal slide, but this issue perked me up.  Good Dredd, Shakara and Bad Company.

I don't think Kano is Danny's father.  I think yes, in some weird bonding (what is this earth ice cream you call dove?) sense, he sees him as that.  I'll be honest I'm not sure what is real and what isn't, but I am rather enjoying it.

There's an elf playing with my mouse.

Must dash

Paul

p.s. I 'got' the future shock before it ended because the line down that guy's face was really unsubtle.  If they had him half in shadow...?  oh I don't know.  Still, enjoyable in a retro way.

Get off my mouse!

Splat.

McNulty

If I may...
Judge Dredd: General hurrahs for another new Mega City One area introduced to us, but how a Park survived the Apocalypse War is beyond me.
Shakara: Great alien art again and a bit of plot development.
Storming Heaven: Very reminisant of the Zenith superheroes vs the Liogor Wars, a bit too out there for me but a lott of you like it, so I'll not knock it.
Skeleton Key: Excuse me? An unknown race of aliens who just happen to look exactly like human skeletons. Sorry, but my willing sense of disbelief just shorted out here.
And finally, Bad Company: as someone who read the original series, I was wondering where this was going, especially after last week, I thought a quick Kano kills Danny episode would have been anticlimatic. I'm pleased that it doesn't seem to be going that way now.
One man's opinion...

kertap

I haven't read this weeks prog. I was to poor to buy it on tuesday. Yes you heard me right, 2000ad came out on tuesday in Ireland. I checked the prog number and it still said in orbit every wednesday and the date was the 30th of january.

Of course the suppliers are probably making up for it being late 4 weeks in a row.

Speaking of comics being late (rant begining, permission to look at something else granted). Ultimate X-men 14 isn't out in my local comic shop. I is annoyed. And I had to wait 1 week for prog 2002 to come out.