Main Menu

Ban this Atavar SMUT!

Started by nathan, 05 March, 2002, 04:55:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nathan

Dear Tharg,

I was APPALLED to see so many dirty pictures in this week's prog. The immodestly dressed female in Judge Dredd was bad enough, but Atavar was simply too much. The protaganist is an onanist!

I never believed the Galaxy's Greatest Comic could stoop so low. From the very first page we are forced to witness a naked man engaged in blatant self-abuse. Is this really what you mean by "New Thrill"?

I can't believe there is enough mileage in this depravity for a whole series, so explain yourself Tharg. And don't try to squirm out of it with trite excuses. I won't be palmed off!

Disgusted of Nathanland

fraston

o shoot. and i was hoping it was gonna be the cream of the crop.
having read it i'm a bit confused what trick it's trying to pull, but the art is solid and i like the hot saucy colours.
mind you, cum this time next week it may be a different story, so get a grip Nathan.

Mudcrab

Well, I for one was delighted to see the beautiful depiction of the female form once again marvellously drawn by Ian Gibson.

As for Atavar, the only thing that bugged me was the title, which made me think it should be Avatar, but must be just a name. Oh well, was half asleep when I read it, must look again and discover this blatent self-abuse bit which I blatantly missed.
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

paulvonscott

Atavar comes from atavistic or atavism which means similarity to your ancestors or a reversion to an earlier gentic form.  I think.  That would explain the caveman.  Title still looks funny, I guess that's cos avatar sounds like a comic book name.

I haven't got the prog either but the advert the week before looked dodgy, I said at the time it looked like a caveman knocking one out over some dodgy charcoal paintings.  I hope that that was just a joke my nathan and that isn't what he is really doing.

nathan

"I haven't got the prog either but the advert the week before looked dodgy, I said at the time it looked like a caveman knocking one out over some dodgy charcoal paintings. I hope that that was just a joke my nathan and that isn't what he is really doing. "

Well, PVS, your description of  Boggo the Caveman's shaky-fist shenanigans was a bit near the knuckle but absolutely correct. The lettered version will only confirm your fears as
the dialog for that panel goes: hnh hnh hnh hnh

N

Mudcrab

Hmm, I'll have to check this out at home, definitely missed that one. But hey, apes do it in front of kids at the zoo, so why not a primitive man in a practically adult comic?
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

esoteric ed

I have to hand it to you guys for handling such a hard subject with great sensitivity... sorry, I could resist a post like this, and I haven't even read the strip yet (I will have in around 7 hours or so, early riser ooops there I go again, lol.

Ed

O Lucky Stevie!

being in 0z i don't expect to see this strip (no pun inteneded)for another month or two, but it sounds like some sort of shamanistic ritual to me.

i seriously doubt that anybody remotely connected with 2k or any of you posters out there can truthfully deny ever having masturbated, so why not a character in the comic if it's relevent to the story?

let's face it,it's a lot more honest that john wagner wishing that he & carlos had initially given dredd a bigger gun! (now there's the one person who's most likely to have absteined... ol' stoney face, that is!)

maybe you're all just scared that next time you're deeply engaged in a spot of onansim, visuallising cassandra anderson/galen demarco/really something & truly amazing/metamaid/devlin waugh/[please insert preference here] when all of a sudden mr moth eaten caveman should pop into your mind...

i've wet my knickers!
steven lenfant terrible
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

GordonR

I haven't made up my mind yet about Atavar.

Will it be like like Sancho Panzer and all over in one fast and sudden spurt, or will it be like Sin-Dex, the kind of longer-lasting Abnett offering that keeps coming back again and again to tug repeatedly on your funny bone?

What do other earthlets think?

fraston

i reckon it'll grow into a fat one and maybe bring a tear to the eye.

ok, this is getting like benny hill now.

paulvonscott

Benny Hill?  I don't know, I hear Robbie Morrison is upset as we've just used most of the material for his next Dante epic

(this makes two weeks in a row, I've thought ND was okay, am I sickening for something, I find I can't wait for that drinking contest.  note.  must stop thinking to oneself while still typing)

Anyway, naughty nathan aside, it's patently obvious that Atavar isn't an ode to onanism, a masturbatory muse, or work of whatever when that picture is in context.  Out of context, it's either just pretty unfortunate or a joke on the artists behalf.

Jenny-Mek

...Wow. You never got anything like this from Sonic the Comic, despite the fact that the hero only wore gloves and trainers.
Looking at Atavar, though, I think I'd like to imagine that it was just taken in a smutty context...
A disturbed J-Mek.

paulvonscott

There is at least one other panel, which when taken out of contest, depicts another activity not normally found within the pages of 2000AD

Can you spot it?

paulvonscott

Okay, nobody rose to the bait.  The panel in question is fifth from the end of the Judge Dredd strip.

Rico going head-to-head with another perp.  Mind you if you don't get it right, she gets kindov angey.  Bella was due to go down for a while herself until Dredd shot her.

I feel cheap?  How about you guys?