Main Menu

V verses Scientology

Started by Bad Andy, 11 February, 2008, 09:56:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Andy

Was in London town yesterday and was surprised (and amused) to see a demonstration on Tottenham Court Road against the Scientology shop next to Goodge Street station.

One striking part of the demonstration was the fact that most of the people were wearing Guy Fawkes masks a la the film version of V for Vendetta. It was pretty effective actually.

It turns out that this was happening all over the world under the 'Anonymous' banner which I had seen something of before vis Youtube. This is some of the reasoning taken from a Toronoto news source:

Feb. 10 was to be an international day of protest for Anonymous against the CoS. Anonymous calls the protests "raids," which take place outside major CoS locations in North America, South America, Europe, Australia and Asia. Participants were directed to wear masks in most locations; however, masks are illegal in New York.

"We are protesting the corporation of the Church of Scientology," said one protestor, wishing to remain anonymous. "We just don't want them to exploit their members."

According to Anonymous' pamphlet, "CoS members must pay for work for the Church to gain higher levels of spiritual awareness, forcing many members into tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt."

The protestors went on to describe Operating Thetan levels - pyramid spiritual states that CoS members can achieve based on their level of monetary donations. Chuck Beatty, a former Scientologist of 27 years and resident of Carnegie, Pa., said that once a person donates a certain amount of money, they're supposed to have an out of body experience. During his membership in the CoS, Beatty was identified as an SP, or a suppressive person.

Link: http://www.altogetherdigital.com/20080210/anonymous-vs-scientology-strange-goings-on-in-london/" target="_blank">London demo

http://www.altogetherdigital.com/images/anon4.jpg">

Steve Green

I really hope one poor sod got the wrong end of the stick and turned up in a red jumpsuit and a lizard mask.

- Steve

the shutdown man

That looks cool, but I would have liked to see one person go the whole hog and wear the wig, hat and cloak too.

And what's with the guy dressed as Zorro in the background? Seems a bit out of place? :)

You're at the precipice Tony, of an enormous crossroads.

Peter Wolf

The same organisation hacked into the Scientology website recently  or something like that.

"We are Anonymous, We are everywhere" is their mantra as they have posted films on Youtube,Liveleak etc and have publically declared war on scientology.

Its all good fun but there are more worthy causes to protest about than a minority fringe of nutters who believe in Thetans.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Richmond Clements

Its all good fun but there are more worthy causes to protest about than a minority fringe of nutters who believe in Thetans.

I have to agree.
I do find is strange that folks will laugh at Scientology, while at the same time believing that a 14 year old virgin gave birth to the son of god 2000 years ago.

the shutdown man

"I do find is strange that folks will laugh at Scientology, while at the same time believing that a 14 year old virgin gave birth to the son of god 2000 years ago."

Perhaps, but what makes you think these folks are all Christians? I haven't seen the videos though, so maybe they said it there, but the article doesn't say anything about their religion, or lack thereof.

And there may well be more worthy causes to protest about, but to be honest, I think it's good to see people protest about anything these days. Most of the time, discontent is limited to internet forums, and people don't get out and make a point. (And no, I'm no exception) This may only be a drop in the ocean, but at least it's people willing to do something.

IndigoPrime

"Its all good fun but there are more worthy causes to protest about than a minority fringe of nutters who believe in Thetans."

Go read some of the stuff on http://www.xenu.net/ and then say the same. Scientology is more than a random collection of fringe nutters - it is an immensely powerful organisation that has the potential to become a real threat in many ways.

Richmond Clements

Perhaps, but what makes you think these folks are all Christians? I haven't seen the videos though, so maybe they said it there, but the article doesn't say anything about their religion, or lack thereof.

You are, of course, correct. I was making a general point about the habit people have in scoffing at smaller religions while happly accepting christainity, however tacitly, as being 'real'.

And there may well be more worthy causes to protest about, but to be honest, I think it's good to see people protest about anything these days

Heh... even as a student I would have disagreed with you! I'm far far FAR too cynical- and pretty much always have been- to believe that this sort of protest ever amounts to anything other than a day out for the people involved.

Adrian Bamforth

It looks fun, and considering the intimidation tactics of Scientology a sensible precaution,   though the problem with this kind of thing is every religion benefits from having an nemesis or evil force of unbelievers/sinners to oppose them to make their members more fearful. The best tactic is humiliation and satire i.e. dressing as aliens rather than anarchists, that seems to be where their members get most embarassed.

Cthulouis

For many people, it is not the belief in scientology that is worth protesting about, but the church of scientology itself.

If someone wants to believe in scientology, then good for them, that's their own business.

The CoS, on the other hand...

(it is at this point in writing this post, as I went looking for references, that I checked out IndigoPrime's link and realised it was the clambake site. This site expresses the same sentiment in much better ways than I could hope to on this post, so i'll be shutting up now...)

the shutdown man

"I'm far far FAR too cynical- and pretty much always have been- to believe that this sort of protest ever amounts to anything other than a day out for the people involved."

You're probably right, but I still think it's important that something gets said, whether it registers or not.

"dressing as aliens rather than anarchists"

Now that would be worth seeing. Or rubber Tom Cruise masks.

El Spurioso

My own part in yesterday's Scientology Protest adventures:

Link: http://www.simonspurrier.blogspot.com" target="_blank">You're NICKED, sonnyjim

Bad Andy

Oh dear, Si. There was paper all over the floor when I was there (about 5pm). Guess you scored the officious bastard.

Adrian Bamforth

"What do we want?

More comic-related merchandise!

When do we want it?..." etc

Tweak72

My girlfriend managed to restore just a fraction of my flustered dignity by telling the officer - while he wrote out his Fixed Penalty Notice - that the Metropolitan Police would be very very rich indeed if it had a few more officers like him, and would he mind changing his beat to West Hampstead, where the streets are covered in shit and there are absolutely no inconvenient protests whatsoever? He didn't get it.

Sir, your better half should get a medal for this. Funniest thing ever.
+++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING++++++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING+++