Main Menu

My Comic Book blog, Bookcase Building and Eternal Frustration

Started by Hawkmumbler, 19 March, 2015, 10:41:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

I've started up a comic book related blog a few months ago, it'll mainly cover my ussual pull list from the NCBDF but i'll also do some more in depth reviews of titles I get each month. It's on tumblr if anyone wants to follow...

http://bookcasebuilding.tumblr.com/

Third Estate Ned

I'm not on Tumblr but I had a look and was pleased to see some interesting titles I'd never heard of. In particular Lone Sloane, which is the sort of thing I like. Thanks, very nice.

Colin YNWA

Only just picked up on this and found time to have a quick nosey. Good stuff - but make sure you keep contributing to the CBDM thread as that baby needs to be kept sparkling.

On another more childish note is it my imagination or on that second Godzilla picture is the great lizard beast humping that island factory thing?

Hawkmumbler

Thanks TEN, Colin. I'm writing up a few reviews that i'll put up tonight, including another installment in what will be a truly massive Charlys War (though i'm tempted to leave it until i've finished the last four volumes).

And the CBDM thread will never die, not so long as I have the will power to moan about the latest Frank Miller comic.

And in regards to Godzilla's* obsession with power towers stems way back to the first film, which frankly didn't end well for the citizens of japan.

*That post should have gone to my main blog....very confusing.

TordelBack

Good stuff, Hawk.  I'll keep on eye on this, always good to know what the young hepcats are thinking.

Hawkmumbler

Thanks Tordels, though I wouldn't call myself a hepcat. I do have Tito the kitten on my desk when ever I type up me review though (little sod!).

I just wrote up two reviews for Corto Maltese Under the Sign of Capricorn and Phantom Blood vol.1, and i'll try and get up a review for Zenith Phase's 1 and 2 tonight.

Hawkmumbler

With holding the Zenith review for when I've read the entire series, so instead M&D might be happy to read my little write up of Baker's Half Dozen.

I also found some stunning collaborations between Miyazaki and Moebius so shared them for everyone to bathe in.

Colin YNWA

We're blessed with blogs at the moment. Loving your short punchy reviews. So fitting for Baker's Half Dozen!

Hawkmumbler

Found a few things of interest while i'm typing up my assignment, namely some fan coloured Charleys War pages that actualy look really nice.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 26 March, 2015, 08:52:49 PM
Found a few things of interest while i'm typing up my assignment, namely some fan coloured Charleys War pages that actualy look really nice.

John (who coloured those) is a great guy. He was the first 2000AD fan I 'met' online back in 2004 or so, before I discovered this board, and my first ever DeviantArt watcher.
@jamesfeistdraws

Hawkmumbler

Blimey, so the page's have been around a while then?! Ah well, nice to know that Charleys War still get's a few new items knocking around online.

I've posted a review each for prog 1923, Shonen Jump #17 and 11th Doctor #10 now.  :)

Hawkmumbler

I'll try and get a review up for the last few progs this weekend, but I did manage to get in a quick review of the four currently translated SPOOKS books plus last weeks Jump.  ;)

Hawkmumbler

After years of set backs, it seem's Astro Boy Omnibus vol.1 is finally going ahead this October. Pick it up while it's hot people, you will NOT regret it.

Colin YNWA

Just finished 'Under the sign of Capricorn' and since I've avoided reading your review prior to now I caught up and so will post some thoughts here. First its one of the most handsome collections I own and I can't wait to own the lot of these wonderful collections of this classic. This is also very very good, BUT a little disappointing also. So I adored the copy of 'Ballard of the Salty Seas' I bought a few years back. Now that edition was reported to be a bit rubbish reproduction-wise, but I hadn't been able to get my sweatly mitts on the story before and so regardless and gobbled it up.

Now this new volume with its oh so heavy, thick paper stock (the number of times I had to check I'd not turned two pages each page is so thick I can't tell you - I got to the point I was noting the page numbers so I knew each time I turned a page it was just one before I started reading!) all soaked in so much glorious, perfectly placed black ink is just a delight, it very easily demonstrates why people were so disappointed with the previous collection. Capricorn must be the heaviest 132 page story ever, it weighs as much as omnibuses I've read I swear. Anyway the story isn't quite so dense alas. Consisting of 6 chapters the first 4 weave a pretty neatly interconnected story, though the fact that each can stand on its own two feet makes them feel a little disjointed and to a degree the story a little rushed as a consequence.

The last two chapters are even more isolated, though strands weave through them too. All of them are fine, some are great, but its not the meaty treat that Ballard was. So while this is quite superb comics in a never bettered package, with quite supreme, perfect art, its not as good as I ready know it might be. I can't wait to get to the meatier, more coherant stories. Not cos this stuff is bad, far from it, as from what I've read I know this other stuff will be even better and in this package will quite possibly be the best comics I own. We'll see. I'm damned happy to own this, for its own sake but also for the things it hints at, the themes it toys with that I can't wait to see delved into more down the line.

Great but not perfect comics... yet...

Hawkmumbler

Well now you see, Under the Sign of Capricorn was my first exposure to the series, so it's having set the bar really high that only get's me even more excited for Ballad of the Salty Sea, Siberia and Tango. Soon, people.

Review for progs 1924 and 1925 are now up!