Main Menu

Your top 10 games list

Started by Roger Godpleton, 29 September, 2008, 09:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

It's odd that the STAR WARS ROGUE SQUADRON games remain a favourite of mine even though, when I look close, it's really a decidedly average game in execution.

But some of the graphics are gobsmackingly good and it does have that perfect fifteen minute episode structure that keeps you coming back for just one more go..

And yes, flying an X-WING is really cool.

Especially when you have to take down a Star Destroyer.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

SamuelAWilkinson

Elite
X-Wing - these first two are the be-all and end-all of space games as far as I'm concerned, and other than their sequels (of varying quality) nothing has ever come close. Though the news that Elite 4 is in actual proper development made me wee myself a little.
Twin Kingdom Valley - much props to my fellow boarders for the TKV love
Medieval 2: Total War
Half-Life 2 and errata
Freedom Force and sequel Freedom Force vs The Third Reich, which should be played by all comic nerds, as it's equal parts pastiche and tribute to the Golden Age and a fucking good RPG to boot.
Golden Axe, which was the first game I spent absolutely hours on with a mate, playing the hell out of it.
Any of the Mario Kart franchise (though my favourite is Wii), for their ability to break up relationships, bring lifelong friends to the brink of physical violence, and ensure the air is turned blue with cussin'.
Guitar Hero III, though I'm sure this will be overtaken by Rock Band when I get around to buying it.
Civilisation IV. Oh, yes.
Time Crisis III, which ate all my sixth-form pounds.
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.

TordelBack

QuoteIt's odd that the STAR WARS ROGUE SQUADRON games remain a favourite of mine even though, when I look close, it's really a decidedly average game in execution.
It's true that they can be a bit of a mule, but as you point out, they're chopped into bite-size mission pieces using different craft, and for every dull one there's an absolute corker up next.  I'm not sure I've ever felt so elated in a game as the moment I finally took down my first AT-AT with a harpoon and tow cable in a vertiginous centripetal manner that actually felt like I'd really done it.  I bought my first-and-only 3D graphics card to play it, and never looked back, despite hours of agony trying to get my Crap-paq to recognise the damn thing...

The Legendary Shark

My Top Ten Games of all time are...

10: Chess. I'm no good at it, no good at all, but as a concept I love it.

9: Hiding "Stinky" McFadden's sports kit (that just never got old).

8: Scare the Pedestrian (an old bus-drivers' game, passes hours and hours without getting boring).

7: Discombobulate the Cyclist (see above).

6: F**k the Trucker (on finding a lorry reversing in a tight space, give the driver encouraging hand signals in order to make him reverse into a posh car or a lamp post - then you run like stink).

5: Who's the Daddy? (For this game you will need; one newborn baby, one bottle of strong drink, one untrustworthy wife/girlfriend and a claw hammer.)

4: Sick Stain Challenge (you feed first year pupils a variety of foodstuffs such as worms, rotting leaves, beetles and wasps and then see which one makes the most artistic or unusual vomit stain. I really was a terrible teacher...)

3: Punch the Prime Minister (in the modern version, one attaches the name "Gordon Brown" to the least popular member of the group, then you punch him. Repeatedly. The winner is the last one to burst into tears.)

2: Hide the sausage.

1: Naked Twister.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

IndigoPrime

In no particular order:

HERO (ColecoVision)
Zoo Keeper (DS)
Space Invaders Extreme (DS)
3D Deathchase (ZX Spectrum)
Rhythm Tengoku (GBA)
SWOS (Amiga)
Boulder Dash (Atari 800)
Civilization II (Mac/Windows)
Outrun 2006 CTC (Xbox)
Shufflepuck Café (Mac)

TheEdge

what i'm playing now or recently

Warhammer ONLINE
Dawn Of War
MERCS 2
LEGO ANything wars, indy
Mass Effect
Fable
COD4
Battlefield 2 or nam
Hitman any of them
The Orange Box
UFO Xcom any of them.
"Save Trees, Eat Beavers"
"Animal Rights: Animals have the right to be tasty"

Brownish

In no particular order:

Elite
Twin Kingdom Valley (I thought I was the only one who loved this)
GTA: Vice City
Pirates
Herzog Zwei (megadrive)
Fallout 2
Freedom Force
Medieval Total War 2
X-Com
Thief

TheEdge

chess
drafts
poker
solitaire
kerplunk
buckaroo
hide the sausage
pool
DARTS
Warhammer 40k
"Save Trees, Eat Beavers"
"Animal Rights: Animals have the right to be tasty"

PsychoGoatee

Here's my top 10:

01. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
02. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
03. Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
04. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
05. Final Fantasy VII
06. Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
07. Silent Hill 2
08. Resident Evil 2
09. Max Payne
10. Half-Life 2

... I'm a bit of a Metal Gear fan.  :mrgreen:

Buttonman

ET : Atari 2600 the first 'hard' game I finished
Empire Strikes Back : Atari 2600 - I could nail those At-Ats all night long
Paperboy : Arcade used to kick ass 10p at a time
Return of the Jedi : Arcade - nver could get through that 5000pts log
Flashback : Sega Megadrive - Great story and a brilliant learning curve - always hard but doable
Sonic and Knuckles : Sega Mega Drive -The backwards compatibilty with earlier titles was great
Toejam and Earl Panic on Funkatron :PS1 Cracking catch the humans fun
Resident Evil 2 : PS1 - Leaving stuff for the other character blew my mind
Tenchu Stealth assassins : PS1 - Brillinat stealthy and gory fun
Silent Hill : PS1 - Scary and moving stuff real immersion time.

Of later games I enjoyed spyhunter and Punisher but I've gradually given up on spending hours on pointless pursuits. I play poker instead - that's pointless and expensive too!

Dandontdare

Civilization IV
Civilization III
Civilization II
Civilization I

Roger Godpleton

Quote from: "psychogoatee"02. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

Just mentioning that game brings back horrific flashbacks of that fucking ladder. Thanks.

Started playing Psychonauts today and I think it may make it in my list by the time I'm done.

Also good news for Resi fans as the latest RE 5 trailer from TGS shows that you FINALLY get to fight Wesker.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Gavin_Leahy_Block

1) Tetris
2) Final Fantasy VII
3) The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
4) Resident Evil
5) Tekken 2
6) Metal Gear Solid
7) Tomb Raider
8) Baldur's Gate
9) Silent Hill
10) Bioshock

Batman's Superior Cousin

1. Area 51 (PS2)
2. Conflict series
3. Deus Ex
4. Half-Life series
5. Half-Life: Portal
6. Hitman series
7. Killzone franchise
8. Resistance: Fall of Man
9. Star Wars: The Force Unleashed
10. Syphon Filter series
11. Tenchu series
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

PsychoGoatee

Quote from: "Godpleton"
Quote from: "psychogoatee"02. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

Just mentioning that game brings back horrific flashbacks of that fucking ladder. Thanks.

Started playing Psychonauts today and I think it may make it in my list by the time I'm done.

Also good news for Resi fans as the latest RE 5 trailer from TGS shows that you FINALLY get to fight Wesker.

Oh man, that ladder was epic!  :mrgreen:

And Resident Evil 5 will be great, I hope we get to kill Wesker. He's great, but he has it coming.