Main Menu

Death Wish - Best Wishes

Started by broodblik, 21 July, 2019, 09:56:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

My first encounter with Death Wish was when Tiger merged with Eagle. Death Wish quickly would become one of my favorite stories in the "Eagle and Tiger" comic. Vanyo's detailed art and Barry Tomlinson script brought the world of Death Wish to light.

I never read any of the Death Wish stories in either Tiger or Speed, so more out nostalgic reasons and curiosity I bought the first volume. This volume contains the stories and its origin from Speed before the merger with Tiger.

Typically, of stories during that period we have 4 to 5-part stories that contains a story-line. Even with the way the stories are structured it is still an enjoyable read. I thought that due to its age (mine and the stories) that I might not enjoy it as much when a wish younger. In some sense the story still holds up quite well and it is wonderful to see Vanyo's art.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Greg M.

I must have first encountered Death Wish in Eagle, presumably when it had gone a bit mad and Blake was fighting Dracula and the like. Being used to the second (?) truly cadaverous version of Blake's mangled face, I spent half this volume thinking "Ah, you don't look that bad." The art's great, and the initial stories are fun, but very samey, even for the era: Blake takes on death defying stunt. Will he survive? Yes, he always does. Looking forward to future volumes where things presumably gain a little more direction (however odd that may be.)