Main Menu

Wagner on Dredd Q

Started by longmanshort, 14 February, 2010, 11:55:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longmanshort

Hope someone can help with an urgent question:

Anyone remember when Wagner stopped writing Dredd in the '90s and when he started again?! :S

Cheers

Molcher
+++ implementing rigid format protocols +++ meander mode engaged +++

Mike Gloady

I believe his last regualar Twoth script job (he contiinued to do the occasional Dredd for the Meg).  I believe it was the democracy storyline, where there was to be a vote whether or not the Justice Department was to continue as it was or if it was to be replaced with a democratic model - "The Devil You Know?" I think?  Then the second half of that story was by Garth Ennis who'd been doing bits and bobs before that - Emerald Isle, Muzak Killer etc (I think, my memory is so hazy).

Edit: That doesn't answer your question.  Sorry.  But search for those stories on Barney or the prog section here and you'll get your information.  I'm 90% sure those are the story titles for his last Twoth Dredds for a spell, could be wrong.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Emperor

Barney is your friend.

2000AD:

The Devil You Know 4 episodes (Progs 750 to 753)

Time Machine 2 episodes (Progs 889 to 890)

19th October, 1991 - 10th June, 1994

http://2000ad.org/?zone=droid&page=thrills&Field=Writer&choice=johnw&Comic=2000AD

Megazine:

Black Widow 3 episodes (Megs 1.07 to 1.09)

Texas City Sting 3 episodes (Megs 2.01 to 2.03)

1st June, 1991 - 2nd May, 1992

http://2000ad.org/?zone=droid&page=thrills&Comic=Megazine&Field=Writer&choice=johnw
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Mike Gloady

Nice work, Emp.  I@m rubbish navigating websites like, well.  Like anything.  Barney is NOT a special case.  I attempted to do that, but couldn't even think where to start.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Mike Gloady on 14 February, 2010, 01:36:54 PM
I believe his last regualar Twoth script job (he contiinued to do the occasional Dredd for the Meg).  I believe it was the democracy storyline, where there was to be a vote whether or not the Justice Department was to continue as it was or if it was to be replaced with a democratic model - "The Devil You Know?" I think?  Then the second half of that story was by Garth Ennis who'd been doing bits and bobs before that - Emerald Isle, Muzak Killer etc (I think, my memory is so hazy).

I've always considered "Judgement Day" to be the big hand-off to Ennis, being the last time Wagner's name appeared on the strip for over three years. However, Mike is probably more right than I am, given that I understand John's involvement in "Judgement Day" was pretty minimal.

According to BARNEY: Wagner writes "The Devil You Know" (750-753) whilst Ennis takes over with "Twilight's Last Gleaming" (754-756). Ennis then writes everything up to 761, before Alan Grant pitches in "The Art of Geomancy" (762-765), back to Ennis for "Justice 1" (766-771) and then it's Ennis all the way to 786, kicking off "Judgement Day" (which has a Wagner co-credit on plot).

Then it's a cast of thousands: McKenzie, Tomlinson, Millar, Morrison, Ennis, (John Higgins, according to BARNEY for one two-parter) before Wagner returns with "Time Machine" in 889.

IIRC, John was still a not-infrequent contributor to the Meg during this period, having a somewhat better editorial relationship with the team there than with 2000AD editorial.*

Cheers!

Jim

*In this, John was not alone during that period. ;-)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Jim_Campbell

Or ... what Emp just said.

Cheers!

Jim

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 14 February, 2010, 01:53:26 PM
IIRC, John was still a not-infrequent contributor to the Meg during this period, having a somewhat better editorial relationship with the team there than with 2000AD editorial.

Although, looking at Barney now to see what appeared in the Meg from John between the two bookends Emperor quotes, there's only Al's Baby and Brit-Cit Babes, and I'm wondering if my memory is deceived by the Heavy Metal Dredds that also ran during that period with John's name on, but were reprint.

Cheers!

Jim

Leigh S

jeez - that was a very bad year!  given that you can argue back to prog 727 as the start of Wagnerlessness (April 91) and we need to get to texas city sting in vol 2 to kickstart it again (may 92), thats a long time.  Even longer when I can see Millars robohunter starting there, and factor in i was unemployed for almost exactly that period July to the May), its amazing i kept reading!

Though Als Baby covers some of that, and hands ovre to the (admittedly less than stellar) brit cit babes, so theres never a point in that period where a wagner script wasnt somewhere.

longmanshort

+++ implementing rigid format protocols +++ meander mode engaged +++

Emperor

Quote from: Leigh Shepherd on 14 February, 2010, 02:49:50 PM
jeez - that was a very bad year!  given that you can argue back to prog 727 as the start of Wagnerlessness (April 91) and we need to get to texas city sting in vol 2 to kickstart it again (may 92), thats a long time.  Even longer when I can see Millars robohunter starting there, and factor in i was unemployed for almost exactly that period July to the May), its amazing i kept reading!

Though Als Baby covers some of that, and hands ovre to the (admittedly less than stellar) brit cit babes, so theres never a point in that period where a wagner script wasnt somewhere.

God, when you look at it - Wagnerless and with this being the period of Mark Millar's ubiquity (work he is now happy to describe as "shite"):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Millar#UK_publishers

It is like some strange perfect storm blowing up your nightie. I am quite surprised how I managed to hang on in there for so long, that is the power of an ongoing series that has bought itself a lot of brownie points with over a decade of quality stories, you cling on during the bad times hoping it'll get better and it bloody well did!! I suspect I'd have returned to the fold at some point in the last few years but I don't think I'd have had a proper appreciation for quite how low it went and how a handful of droids managed to turn everything around.

You can't help turning an eye to look at who Tharg's representatives on Earth were through this period:

2000AD:
Steve MacManus 1978–1987
Richard Burton 1987–1993
Alan McKenzie 1993–1994
John Tomlinson 1994–1996
David Bishop 1996–2000

Meg:
Steve MacManus 1990–1991
David Bishop 1991-2002 (off and on)
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Emperor on 14 February, 2010, 03:39:06 PM
You can't help turning an eye to look at who Tharg's representatives on Earth were through this period:

Indeed. Particularly note that JW doesn't reappear in the Prog itself until 1994. ISTR reading on the newsgroup that it took a major effort on the part of Steve MacManus to persuade John to come back to 2000AD at all (I'll try and Google up a cite for that, unless it's in TPO).

I'm astonished to realize how long ago that period actually was ... I'm now trying to work out when -- for me -- I first thought "Yeah, now we're back in business" after that.

Cheers

Jim