Main Menu

Podcast : Glenn Fabry & John McCrea

Started by Marbles, 13 August, 2007, 07:15:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marbles

"Alex Fitch interviews artists Glenn Fabry and John McCrea, two very different artists who have worked on comics in Britain and America and have both illustrated strips by writer Garth Ennis. The majority of today's show is concerned with Glenn's work from his seminal run on Sláine in 2000AD to his epic run of painted covers for DC comics' Preacher which are available in a coffee table book.

Towards the end of the show Alex talks to John McCrea about the 60 issues he drew of Ennis' superhero satire Hitman (and their interview continues next week)."

Link: http://readyformycloseup.blogspot.com/2007/08/podcast-art-of-glenn-fabry.html" target="_blank">I'm ready for my podcast - Glenn Fabry & John McCr

Remember - dry hair is for squids

ThryllSeekyr

I hear both Alex Fitch and Glenn Fabry  disaggree about the correct pronouciation of Slaine.

As I sill haven't quite worked it out myself.

johnnystress

There are a zillion threads about the pronunciation of Sláine

Here is my conclusion and I'm sticking to it

In Irish it is pronounced Slawnya (sort of , it depends what part of Ireland you're from)

But if you're speaking in English it's Slane ( as in the place I watched the Rolling Stones play last week)

So...Tin-Tin; is it pronounced Tan tan?

Funt Solo

Dredd, Sam Slade, Slaine - it's pretty fucking obvious how it's supposed to be pronounced.

Oh, and it's Ton-ton.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

johnnystress

phew* glad that's sorted

*sounds like few

ThryllSeekyr

Well, of course I use the English version.

Eldritch

"In Irish it is pronounced Slawnya"

No debate surely? Mills has said it's meant to be pronounced Slawnyeh, which IS the Irish pronunciation. It's his character & he's using Gaelic, and as someone who can speak Irish I concur.

Besides, pronouncing it Slain is daft. Might as well have a fearsome warrior called Killed, or Dead.
"Where's Killed?"
"Yonder, chatting with Murdered."

Not so ferocious, eh?

Funt Solo

::"Mills has said it's meant to be pronounced Slawnyeh"

Has he?  In a recent pod-cast, he pronounced it Slaine, as in slain.  

As for the daftness of pronouncing it that way, you're talking about a character in a comic that contains Dredd and Slade (who even says "that's s-l-a-y-e-d to you").  If that's not enough to convince you that the creators of 2000AD love to pun - how about the first name of the Rogue Trooper being Rogue?  (And let's not forget Helm, Gunnar, Bagman and Buttplug!)

How about the slightly less straightforward innocent hero: Halo (not pronounced Hullo).

Canon Fodder? A.H.A.B?  (See, they're still doing it now.)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

johnnystress

You mean Slade doesn't rhyme with..???

http://www.pure80spop.co.uk/Images/poppics/sade.jpg">

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Eldritch

"Has he?" Yep; don't know the prog but it was a 2-page spread back in the early-ish days, going on about the use of Irish mythology (either that or in a letters page - it was more than 20 years ago anyway).

Dredd inspires feelings of Dread; that works. As you say "that's s-l-a-y-e-d to you" for Sam & it's a crappy joke in a funny story. Both above characters created of course by Wagner, not Mills.

I don't speak of Millar or his ... produce.

Never read A.H.A.B. so can't comment and Halo? Sounds like a nice name for a girl a doting parent would bestow, like Aisling (Irish for Dream), or April or etc. Serendipitous - yes, apt or significant - of course.

Daft? No - unlike calling a tough guy Passed Away.

And again: that's how it is pronounced in Irish/gaelic, complete with the use of the fada over the A.

PS Rogue? Pah, as someone once joked it's as well they didn't have biochips in footwear, jocks or knives, cos GFD wouldn't have hesitated to call 'em Stabman, Booter & Pants.

Dudley

No, but Slaine rhymes with http://www.musiceffect.com/divas/shania_twain/1.jpg">

ThryllSeekyr

Not that I want to argue with the creator. I have spent most of the last twenty years of which I have known of this character pronoucing it as it appears to my english speaking perspective.

For it's phonetic quality and I have always associated the word as it sounds with death and killing.

Though I understand it's meaning is Gaelic for 'Health' these days. Which is quite the opposite.

I guess I would more be comfortable with it's corrcct Gaelic sound if I took that as second language.

Though, I'm not much good with foreign languages at the moment.

So, if nobody minds, I keep pronoucing it 'Slayy-NNe'

Slainte ( Is that how you say bye bye in Gaelic.)

Richmond Clements

Dredd inspires feelings of Dread; that works. As you say "that's s-l-a-y-e-d to you" for Sam & it's a crappy joke in a funny story. Both above characters created of course by Wagner, not Mills.

Judge Dredd9Dread) was a Mills name though.

And speaking as an Irish person myself, I don't give a good fuck about how Slaine is pronounced.