Main Menu

Prog 2145 - Body Horror!

Started by Eamonn Clarke, 17 August, 2019, 02:52:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

73north

Got my Prog finally today  :D
my thoughts

( 1 ) Dredd - Control - a good story , and it was enjoyable - well worth reading 4/5
( 2 ) Indigo Prime - not too bad , this is a story that you have to really concentrate
and use the back progs to work out what's going on ...on occasion 3/5
( 3 ) Sinister Dexter - First rate - I think the reason this story does so well is that it
doesn't come out too often ( like Jaegir ) and its fresh and original ( art work is great ) 4/5
( 4 ) Future Shock - well written , nice art work and a good , original story 4/5
and
( 5 ) Jaegir - this second part of the story was very good - its building to a nice climax
with hints of the Parachute Raid on Los Baños in 1945 , about it ,
for me Gordon Rennie is on top form here .
As ever the artwork is just glorious from Mr Coleby - he delivers every time

I am glad I bought a ' Jaegir ' page from him back in Feb 2017 - best £ 60 ever spent
anyway for me ( I am a fan boy , I admit it ) 5/5
overall , a good , solid and enjoyable prog 4/5 in total

Proudhuff

Great cover, but the text could have been dropped a bit, why the jaunty angle?

Dredd: Nice use of Rad-rats and good to see old Stoney-Pus as dogged as ever, art great and happy to see those last two panels  :thumbsup:
IP: lots of nice refs in here, not too sure about the Fingerbobs...
Sin/Dex, more of the same as previous tales so far, liking the colour use, adds to the feel

Future shock: enjoyed that, I think the SPLUTTCH panel should have been flipped left to right to make it flow better.
Jaegir: Great to see some hardwear on Nu Earth, Colby does it so well. Didnt The Grennie droid use Kashan flying troops to attack a train on the Rogue Trooper xbox game, or am I miss remembering again matron? great tip of the helm to continuity if it is.

letters page Buttman and not a buddy in sight! :o
DDT did a job on me

metcalfecarr

Is it me, or are those skulls on the cover really reminiscient of Bret Ewins' skulls?  Is this some kind of tribute by Mr Weston?
Dave Metcalfe-Carr

Proudhuff

Quote from: metcalfecarr on 20 August, 2019, 11:55:15 AM
Is it me, or are those skulls on the cover really reminiscient of Bret Ewins' skulls?  Is this some kind of tribute by Mr Weston?

I just wonder how the lower mandible stays attached? Any archaeologists around here...
DDT did a job on me

Trout

oooooh, Chris Weston pretty much draws Dredd's face in this one. Add it to the pile of helmetless depictions!

Great stuff though.

Frank

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leila_Khaled

Arcana's Fingerbobs line was funny, as was the headflick. While the idea of Burroughs Staypufting it through Docklands is entertaining*, JG Ballard is probably a metafiction too far.

Unless the closing credits of Indigo Prime feature Allen Ginsberg showing up at Robert Anton Wilson's apartment and announcing that he's putting a team together.

* and the idea of head fiction as detritus blowing through from alternate realities

I, Cosh

I only know the name (and I assume I'm not the only one) because of the song Like Leila Khaled Said by The Teardrop Explodes. A band who famously took their name from Silver Surfer. My general feelings on current Indigo Prime mirror Tordelback's but, while I don't like it one bit, this is a level of cross-media, meta-fictional, reality-hopping I can admire.

I was never sure if the guest vocalist on this old Rob 'n' Raz classic was am agent of and extra-dimensional security firm or if only Billy Ray Martin had that distinction: Got to Get (ft. Leila K)...

Quote from: Frank on 21 August, 2019, 08:50:38 AM

We never really die.

broodblik

It was relative good prog not so fond of the Future Shock. Great stuff from both Dredd and Jaegir. 
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

TordelBack

So while I thought Jaegir was Top Thrill (Rennie is the solid bedrock of the comic these days, his strips are now consistently excellent week after week), I actually thought the Dredd wrapped really well.

Even though it was Maitland's bullet that knackered the Mechanismo, leading to Dredd's escape, it was the grit of the man himself that got him out of there. I also liked that Pin didn't stick around (although we didn't see her die...). Unless she had/was developing some sort of Dark Judges connection, I think her story was done.

And dear sweet Grud the art! I can't believe no-one has done the noose badge-chain thing with Death before, it's inspired. That corpse-pit will take sons beating too. Weston is a treasure.

Very good news that Thistlebone is coming back. It worked great as a one-off, but I'd love to see more.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: TordelBack on 21 August, 2019, 10:28:59 PM
Very good news that Thistlebone is coming back. It worked great as a one-off, but I'd love to see more.

Oh yeah good call. Mind I read on Faciebook - from Simon Davis himself - that he's not doing any comic work for a while, maybe it was a year.So unless there is a change in artist we may need to be patient.

broodblik

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 21 August, 2019, 10:52:21 PM

Oh yeah good call. Mind I read on Faciebook - from Simon Davis himself - that he's not doing any comic work for a while, maybe it was a year.So unless there is a change in artist we may need to be patient.

Quote from the Input Page: "meanwhile, the Eglington and Davis droids will be heading back into those eerie ol' woods sometime next year for the ghafflebette series follow-up."

Yes so hopefully he will be back on art duties.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: broodblik on 22 August, 2019, 03:27:45 AM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 21 August, 2019, 10:52:21 PM

Quote from the Input Page: "meanwhile, the Eglington and Davis droids will be heading back into those eerie ol' woods sometime next year for the ghafflebette series follow-up."

Yes so hopefully he will be back on art duties.

Oh yeah forgot about the fact its actually confirmed he's coming! Good news, mind in that case  we'll need to be patient. As long as it doesn't go all Helium on us!

norton canes

A satisfyingly squalid denouement to 'Control', I thought - kudos to all involved. Admittedly I wasn't quite sure what was happening when the charnel pit opened up - was it an empty subterranean space, the roof of which the sinking Mechanismo droid caused to collapse? If it was just a filled pit, where did all the mud go? Also, I got the impression from earlier installments (and previous chapters of the arc) that Pin's lair was underground, but here it was raining, or was that water running in from a ceiling? Anyway, the 'dark side' of Smiley's ghost was a nice touch - it took a moment before I realised why it was there!

IP seems to be pulling out a lot of tricks, but to me it just seems like it's trying too hard, and Kek-W should concentrate on refining his characters and storytelling rather than on each page simply unveiling yet another contrived new idea. Contrast that with the simple yet elegant style of Dan Abnett in this week's Sin/Dex, where his narrative flow is like a sweeping river winding smoothly across a lush plain. John Charles' colours are, I agree, absolutely glorious and the perfect complement to Steve Yeowell's art.

I quite liked the Future Shock, nothing revelatory but a nice twist (shame about that cheesy last line though) and Liana Kangas' vibrant art was a treat.

Jaegir was as magnificent as ever. I can cope with short 6-week bursts as long as they keep coming this frequently.

So Thistlebone is on its way back, then. That at least explains why the end of what turned out to be the first chapter wasn't especially rewarding.

M.I.K.

Quote from: I, Cosh on 21 August, 2019, 11:58:36 AM
I only know the name (and I assume I'm not the only one) because of the song Like Leila Khaled Said by The Teardrop Explodes. A band who famously took their name from Silver Surfer. My general feelings on current Indigo Prime mirror Tordelback's but, while I don't like it one bit, this is a level of cross-media, meta-fictional, reality-hopping I can admire.

I mainly know the name because of Leela from Doctor Who being named after her.

Frank

Ed Doyle, from the 1977 group, highlights the seasonal appropriateness of this year's Summer mini-epic:.