Main Menu

The Fleetway Files.

Started by maryanddavid, 15 May, 2018, 09:29:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maryanddavid

I hope this is allright to post here, I think there may be some interest.
Hibernia's new Comic Archive is now available in print on the Comicsy website here http://www.comicsy.co.uk/hibernia/
I also have digital copies prepared , drop me a PM if interested.
The Fleetway Files will be of interest to anyone who likes British comics and Rebellion Treasury line, Here is the blurb!

New from Hibernia 'The Fleetway Files' the forth in its 'Comic Archive' series, available now to buy here: http://www.comicsy.co.uk/hibernia/
Fleetway File's explores the publishing phenomenon that was IPC Magazine's comic division. Formed in 1969, the comic division brought together different comic publishing houses under one group and thereafter published an avalanche of titles and creativity for the best part of two decades.
Fleetway Files looks at all facets of this time, from Girls and Humour to Football and Adventure, with interviews and contributions from all the main movers e.g. David Hunt, Barrie Tomlinson, Bob Paynter and the late Gil Page.
Fleetway Files also contains interviews with Scott Goodall, James Nicholas (Tomlinson), Ian Vosper, and a small contribution from the late Jan Shepheard, and much more.
The launch of the new Eagle and the genesis of its incarnation of Dan Dare is examined with the help of Barrie Tomlinson and David Hunt . West County eighties cosplayer, coffins in Kings Reach Towers and Dan Dare movie treatments are all included!
Incredible rare and never seen before artwork by Ian Kennedy and Vanyo is seen in the 'Creating Comics' section, looking at the original pitch and characters sketches of Wildcat comic and Battle's 'Storm Force'
For more rare artwork via Brazil we have a Sticker album featured, and why should we be interested? It's fully painted by the incredible Ian Kennedy!
Massimo Belardinelli art collector Robbie Cox treats us to an amazing double page spread of previously unpublished Belardinelli artwork, intended for the short lived Tornado, curiously working from Brian Bolland designs!
If that's not enough, in association with Rebellion we proudly have the 'Treasury of British Comics Sampler' 16 page section or 'pullout' in grand Whizzer and Chips tradition! Rebellion's Ben Smith and Keith Richardson tell of Rebellions acquisition of the Fleetway archive and their plans for the future.
Also included courtesy of the Treasury line is the origin of 'Hot Shot Hamish', 'Sergeant Strong', Zenith's 'Amazing Three' and more with art from British legends like Ken Reid, John Burns and Denis McLaughlin.
Written and Edited by David McDonald (Scream Zine 'It's Ghastly', 'Beyond 2000AD' and 'One Eyed Jack and the Death of Valiant') with additions articles by Jenni Scott, (JintyBlog) and Matt Bowen (Buster Website)
Design and additional material by Richard Pearce and article editing by Mike Donachie, with a big thanks to Dez Skinn for some last minute proof reading, yes that Dez Skinn!
'The Fleetway Files' is Hibernia's most ambitious offering, 106 pages plus cover, perfect bound, lavishly illustrated with colour throughout. All of Hibernia's previous 'Comic Archive' sold out fast, so don't miss out.
ONLY available in print from the Comicsy website here http://www.comicsy.co.uk/hibernia/
Please share far and wide. All Hibernia titles are limited print runs, get it here for £10.49 before is sells out!
Please allow 10 working days for delivery, it usually is much quicker, but on rare occasions can take a while.

Colin YNWA

This sort of news just makes my day and of course ORDERED!

TordelBack

Thanks to a generous digital preview, I can testify to the vast scope and superb production values of this monster. If it wasn't from Hibernia I'd think I dreamt it.

Frank

Quote from: maryanddavid on 15 May, 2018, 09:29:14 AM
Hibernia's new Comic Archive is now available in print on the Comicsy website here http://www.comicsy.co.uk/hibernia/
I also have digital copies prepared , drop me a PM if interested.

Sold.

The Amstor Computer

Delighted to see this out there at last - it's been a huge labour of love for all involved, and I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone thinks of it. There are probably enough anecdotes from the making of it to fill another Comic Archive alone, but my favourite was the last-minute intervention of Dez Skinn with a brutal (but fair) proof-read that picked up on the finest of details. Hopefully we managed to squash every mis-used em and en dash he spotted - I'll be seeing the damn things in my sleep for at least another month!

Daveycandlish

An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Krakajac

Mary & David - a quick question in relation to this title.

I have the previous Comic Archive issue, 'Beyond 2000' (which is awesome, by the way).

Does 'The Fleetway Files' have additional info in relation to 2000AD itself - or is it more focused on other Fleetway titles? (I couldn't find a 2000AD logo on the cover, so I'm assuming tooth takes more of a back seat this time around?)

Saying that, even if the 2000AD content is minimal - I'll probably still purchase it to find out more about that era! :)

maryanddavid

Very little 2000 AD content, it focuses on 2000 ADs stablemates. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Dandontdare

ordered - I've bought a few HB titles and never been disappointed - great production values and an obvious deep love and knowledge of the materiel.

Prodigal2

I won't bore anyone with a detailed review-just buy it. Money so well spent.

Bad City Blue

Ordered it but rather pissed off at £4.99 for shipping.

how do you justify such a charge?
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

TordelBack

Jeez lad, have you ever shipped anything between RoI and (I presume) GB?  It's insanely expensive.

The Amstor Computer

I don't think I'm speaking out of turn here, but re: P&P:

It's expensive to ship from Ireland in general, and has only become more so over the last couple of years. A combination of rising postage costs from RoI and the weight of this particular release bumped the P&P up this time, but as far as I'm aware the P&P charged to buyers is actually *less* than what David is paying per issue shipped though, so there is an attempt to mitigate that for customers.   

Bad City Blue

Quote from: The Amstor Computer on 18 May, 2018, 10:44:19 AM
I don't think I'm speaking out of turn here, but re: P&P:

It's expensive to ship from Ireland in general, and has only become more so over the last couple of years. A combination of rising postage costs from RoI and the weight of this particular release bumped the P&P up this time, but as far as I'm aware the P&P charged to buyers is actually *less* than what David is paying per issue shipped though, so there is an attempt to mitigate that for customers.

Thanks - I didn't realise it was coming from ROI. If it's fair postage that's fine - I just get annoyed when it's used as a hidden charge
Writer of SENTINEL, the best little indie out there

The Amstor Computer

Quote from: Bad City Blue on 18 May, 2018, 10:58:00 AMThanks - I didn't realise it was coming from ROI. If it's fair postage that's fine - I just get annoyed when it's used as a hidden charge

No worries! I appreciate where you're coming from - I hate getting hammered for extra P&P on things like eBay where it's sometimes used to make up for a lower price etc. Hope you enjoy the book when it arrives!