Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling hundred and thirtieth episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 416-418 of 2000AD, covering May of 1985. This week it's the big spring relaunch, with a new story for Dredd, the return of Strontium Dog, and the debut of Judge Anderson's solo strip!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!

Quote from: FoxIsntARobot on 29 October, 2018, 06:27:57 PM
Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 28 October, 2018, 04:27:18 AM
SO MUCH CONRAD!

Enough is never enough. ;)

At first I thought it was gonna be a video of me and got worried!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

SpaceSpinner2000

In our action-packed third episode Jason and Conrad continue their journey through the pages of the infamous classic comic with issues 4-6 of Action! This episode Hellman heads to Africa, Blackjack fights The Bull, Hookjaw bites a plane, and Coffin Sub dives into the sunset!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher

Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

WhizzBang

That was one of the funniest things I have listened to in a long while, thanks for that.The shark facts and Hookjaw in general were the highlight for me. The description of what is going on in Hookjaw reminded me of a biography I read where the person was at school in the 1970s and was having a competition with a school mate to have the highest kill rate in their English homework assignments. The teacher gave them titles like 'A Night At The Theatre' and they would find ways to have hundreds die through gas leak explosions and such like. Pat Mills seems to be doing this kind of stuff in Hookjaw.

It sounds like Action is getting better as it goes along. It will be interesting to hear what you think of it by the time you reach the Kids Rule OK cover, which could well be the peak of the run.

Is this Jason"s first exposure to non-US comics? He seems to be having fun with it.

SpaceSpinner2000

All the shark stuff is so much fun. The plane especially seems like it was just pulled out of a hat and they decided to work with it. It's amazing on the page though, looking out the windows of a plane to see a dark sea full of hungry sharks!

I'm excited to see where we go with the more well known Action stories! We'll get Look out for Left next episode, and Death Game 1999 the episode after that. I'm especially interested for when Kids Rule Ok starts, in sort of the way that the second time you read an Agatha Christie novel you perk up when the killer first appears :D

I believe it's Jason's first time with British comics. He's not a huge comics guy generally, but he's really enjoying these crazy tales!

Colin YNWA

I'm concerned I'm now stalking Conrad. I decided that the Fantasticast sounded fun and indeed it is and hence I'm a little behind and will be listening ReAction later today with any luck... is listening to three podcasts by the same person in one week too much?

Does this mean we're going steady now?

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling hundred and thirty-first episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 419-422 of 2000AD, covering May and June of 1985. This week Sláine learns about balance, the Strontium Dogs get more bounties, Rogue Trooper meets some new enemies, Dark Judges attack Mega-City One, and Judge Dredd deals with the fallout. Also with episode we'll have covered 20% of 2000AD progs!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher

Steve Green

I think Frankie Wilson is probably Francis Wilson who was a breakfast TV weather presenter in the 80s.

Dandontdare

If you want to know what Middenface's song sounds like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0da8d8T8bvg. (a deoch-an-doris, apparently, means 'a drink at the door').

If you're getting a bit fed up of "comic book pagan nonsense" from Pat Mills, then buckle in guys, because Uncle Pat has read a LOT of books (and more recently websites) and he's going to explain all of them in detail for the next thirty years*. A recent book of Slaine was literally a single six-week punch up in which Slaine and his opponent made speeches and shouted slogans at each other like a couple of demented internet trolls. At times, you just have to let it wash over you and enjoy the pretty pictures.

*Just a Grant & Wagner have mined their Scottihness for comic effect over a similar period. Comedy Scotsmen, pagan nonsense and gruesome death. Reckon that's as good a description of 2000ad as any!

Also enjoying re:Action, making me want to get hold of that Hookjaw reprint. (Have you read the recent reboot drawn by Conor Boyle? It's excellent, with some clever nods back to Action)

Also curious - was Paul Hardcastle's n-n-n-n-nineteen a hit, or even released in the US?

Frank

Quote from: Dandontdare on 05 November, 2018, 10:19:48 PM
Also curious - was Paul Hardcastle's n-n-n-n-nineteen a hit, or even released in the US?

I answer only to free-up Mr Spinner to answer your Hookjaw query. 15 on the pop chart, number 1 on the club chart:

https://www.billboard.com/music/paul-hardcastle/chart-history/dance-club-play-songs

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: Frank on 05 November, 2018, 10:38:41 PM
Quote from: Dandontdare on 05 November, 2018, 10:19:48 PM

I answer only to free-up Mr Spinner to answer your Hookjaw query. 15 on the pop chart, number 1 on the club chart:

https://www.billboard.com/music/paul-hardcastle/chart-history/dance-club-play-songs

Thanks! That's one I didn't have info for.

We're about to enter a section where I think we're a little tough on Mills and the pagan stuff, and I'm not super happy with it. I (Conrad) have trouble with the whole balance between good and evil thing which rubs me the wrong way, and in the future I'm going to have a lot of disagreements on Mills's views on women as untouchable holy and incalculably treacherous. However, on the whole I really like this series, and I think it opens up into pretty good stuff by the end. I'm hoping too clear this up a bit when we get to the and of 1985 and have more of an open forum in the Spinnies. For now I'll say that it's just a big change for Slaine, from Conanesque fantasy wandering to mindbending scifi world building!

Colin YNWA

A little more back drop to ReAction 3 in which you mention the success of Neil Adams being one of the few in the sports star feature that actually got to a level of success in sport. Alas what you have no reason to know is that the real measure by any 70s or early eighties sports personality was their success in TV show 'Superstars' where sports folks from different arenas competed against each others in... well sports

You didn't really make it until you had competed and even better won Superstars (or fallen off a bike dramatically I guess). Alas Neil Adams was never a great champion of this competition. Unlike his mentor Brian Jacks who was surely the king of the show. I think Adams only got to one final of the series unlike Brian Jakes who gained great fame with his squat thrusts (or maybe it was his dips but squat thrusts is much more fun to type) and defeating all comers...

I mention this only as as soon as you mentioned his name my first thought was Neil Adams wasn't that good, I barely remember him in Superstars... well I did say it was a little back drop!

Fantastic show chaps.

Steve Green

I love Big Bust (and I cannot lie), seems like an ideal candidate for a film adaptation - the Killing's fine, but this covers similar ground but with a little bit more SD background.

Having a bunch of bemused alien crims singing that song, while cross-cutting to Alpha and Wulf in the bar would be amazing on film.

Colin YNWA

Well even though I'm only half way through I feel I have to comment on Episode 132.

First and foremost I'm of course deeply flattered that you dedicated the show to me my playing the song written in tribute to my forum name at the start (and I assume) and end of the show. Very touching.

Secondly Doug Church Block is actually named after one of the original art / design team on 2000ad. Pat Mills really rates him and his influence on the comic as he more than ably expresses in the linkie below.

https://www.millsverse.com/10-of-the-best-celebrating-some-of-2000ads-unsung-heroes/.

Oh and wonderful show - thank you for making me laugh like a goon on the way into work this morning with you description of Pluke - Gold!

The Monarch

holy crap i just realised whats coming up in strontium dog :o

on another note since i was subbed way longer to the fantasticast than to this podcast it was a genuine thrill to hear conrad on it

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 12 November, 2018, 07:49:18 AM
Well even though I'm only half way through I feel I have to comment on Episode 132.

First and foremost I'm of course deeply flattered that you dedicated the show to me my playing the song written in tribute to my forum name at the start (and I assume) and end of the show. Very touching.

Secondly Doug Church Block is actually named after one of the original art / design team on 2000ad. Pat Mills really rates him and his influence on the comic as he more than ably expresses in the linkie below.

https://www.millsverse.com/10-of-the-best-celebrating-some-of-2000ads-unsung-heroes/.

Oh and wonderful show - thank you for making me laugh like a goon on the way into work this morning with you description of Pluke - Gold!

Thanks! For the record YNWA was the number one for that month, for one reason or another, but who am I to go against someone's weird podcast obsession?

I've read that article before but forgot about Doug Church, I mostly remember it for Mills saying a lot of good stuff about Gerry Finley-Day. I liked that a lot because I feel like Thrillpower Overload is actually pretty mean to GFD, discussing mostly his spelling errors and how he didn't fit in with the cool kids.

Quote from: The Monarch on 12 November, 2018, 08:36:14 AM
holy crap i just realised whats coming up in strontium dog :o

on another note since i was subbed way longer to the fantasticast than to this podcast it was a genuine thrill to hear conrad on it

It's gonna get heavy! I was super excited to be on the Fantasticast, it's one of my main shows to listen to. I have to get something scheduled with Andy though, I've missed him twice!