Main Menu

Comics Stolen at Gunpoint

Started by Stu, 07 May, 2002, 07:17:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu

Slightly interesting story from the BBC website. Seems a load of rare Spider man comics were stolen in a hold up at a comics store in Manhattan.

Link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/entertainment/arts/newsid_1972000/1972130.stm" target="_blank">Comics Stolen at Gunpoint

Mudcrab

Rather convenient publicity I thought! But then, I may be too cynical.
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Stu

It is rather convenient, but I like to think the BBC can still be trusted a little. Could well be the publicity already surrounding the film that gave the perp the idea.

Who knows, with 2 more Dredd films planned perhaps the day will come when a Space Spinner gets stolen at gunpoint.

Mudcrab

That's very true, more likely that the theft was inspired.

Noticed it's broken the record for the first day set by Harry Snotter. Thank Grud for that!
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Stu

Is that the best ever then? I suppose Attack of the Clones will beat that. Another convenient news story I read, said that people skipping work to watch the first screenings of episode 2 was going to cost American businesses millions of dollars.

Mudcrab

Yeah, there seems to be about 3 million different records, for biggest grossing ever, in the 1st day, 1st week. This'll be the 1st day thing, although I'd read that it was shown in far less theaters than Harry Snotter was, so that can only mean it's done vastly better. Yep, Episode'll overtake it for sure.

They should take the same stance as here, where empoyers are being asked to be lenient on people taking time off to see the World Cup.
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

DavidXBrunt

I'm sorry but bollocks they should. Anyone who skips off to watch the World Cup or Star Wars should be punished as harshly as anyone else would be.

People shouldn't be allowed to get away with things just because they *really* want to see some people play a game. How childish can you get?

Mudcrab

Punished harshly? Where the fuck are you from, the army?

It's to do with people taking time off which they're entitled to, I'm not talking about taking days off sick.

Anyway, I'm glad I don't work for you!

How childish can you get? How childish is putting a fucking X into your name, Mr Burnt?
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Oddboy

True.
However - when the entire office requests holiday time off over the same two/three weeks how are the bosses supposed to choose who should & should't be allowed the time off?  Especially if the bosses themselves want to see the games.
Far better to just let people roll up a little late or knock off earlier occasionally then cause major staff de-moralization.  They could even make up the hours in overtime on other days...  And if you need to talk to clients/contacts as part of your job - they'll be watching the game too so they won't be there to take your calls anyway.

What I'm saying is GET PERMISSION FIRST.
And if you don't get it - torture your employer until you do.
Better set your phaser to stun.

Something Fishy

Hey don't get so wound up doug.

He may be called Xavier or something?

DavidXBrunt

I also post at the GALLIFREYONE Doctor Who boards. There's a well known Who writer with the same name. To avoid confusion I added the X because I didn't want to use a false name or make people think I was the other David Brunt.

And the reason I think people should be punished for not turning up without an excuse is really very simple. If they have booked the time or got cover fine, but if not it means other people have to do their work for them. I'm a support worker so it's not like I can leave when my shift is over, I have to wait for someone to turn up. Why should I have to work an extra three hours - unpaid - because some one wants to watch soccer? If people are mitching off then they should be punished. Simple as that.

plastikman

"I also post at the GALLIFREYONE Doctor Who boards. There's a well known Who writer with the same name. To avoid confusion I added the X because I didn't want to use a false name or make people think I was the other David Brunt. "

gulp - should I post under plastik-x-man - someone has already asked if I'm Richie Hawtin - aka plastikman :)

Mudcrab

Well in that case you'd be quite entitled to be pissed off about it. If it affects others then it's not on. Anyway, this is a silly er, discussion. I'm certainly not going to be taking time off to see Star Wars, and Scotland's not at the World Cup (*sob*) so...
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

DavidXBrunt

Cheers Doug. It really does get on my wazz when people do it. I know so little about soccer that I was surprised that Scotland aren't in it.

O Lucky Stevie!

>Yeah, there seems to be about 3 million different records, for biggest grossing ever, in the 1st day, 1st week.

none of which are indicative of the quality of the actual films in question.

i've wet my knickers!
steven l'enfant terrible
(who still hasn't seen the phantom menace or harry snotter, & has no plans to see either spiderman or attack of the clones. sat wide eyed through two consecutive sessions of amelie though)
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"