Main Menu

Last game played...

Started by Keef Monkey, 11 June, 2011, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keef Monkey

I tried Alien:Blackout (the mobile spin-off of Isolation) a while ago and bounced off it, finding it too fiddly, hard, random and frustrating. I stumbled on a gameplay video of it recently though and seeing someone else play it really helped me realize how it should be played, how cautious to be and how to distract the alien and that sort of thing.

So I dived back in and started chipping away at it on the train and while I still find it fiddly, hard, random and frustrating, it's also incredibly tense and very thrilling. Particularly towards the end of a level when you're very nearly at the end point but can't see the alien on the cameras and your motion tracking corridors aren't pinging and you know it could drop from a hatch or find your hiding place. There are still a load of deaths you'll never really be able to predict or avoid, but in a way that added to the tension of it all. Proper sweaty-palmed terror, and that it could do that to me on a well lit busy train on my morning commute is an impressive achievement. I got better as it went on at seeing the signs of where it might appear (I was near the end before I even twigged that the direction indicators around the survivors was to show you where they were hearing it in the vents, and that made it so much easier to track the xeno's movements) and had a really good scary time with it.

I gather it's a lot like Five Nights At Freddy's, which I've never played beyond a quick dabble, so maybe if someone was more well versed in those games they'd have less trouble cracking this one. Glad I persevered though. Also pretty short - I abandoned my first playthrough because I got to the final mission without enough survivors to really make it doable, but going through the whole thing again cautiously (and restarting missions if I lost someone) probably only took a couple of hours.

wedgeski

Oooh! Isolation is one of my all-time favourites and I hadn't heard of this.

NapalmKev

The Last Of Us - Remastered. A brilliant but very dark story wrapped in luscious graphics. It's tense and frustrating in equal measure and you will learn to fear the sound of [spoiler]The Clickers. Especially when you creep around a corner and come face to face with five of them.[/spoiler]

The actual mechanics of the game revolve mainly around stealth. Sneaking about isn't my favourite thing to do in games, but there's the odd occasion when things go mental and the game becomes a lot more fun, IMO.

Worth a buy but I got it for free from PS last month.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Keef Monkey

Quote from: wedgeski on 07 November, 2019, 09:53:58 AM
Oooh! Isolation is one of my all-time favourites and I hadn't heard of this.

Me too, definitely worth a try if you're an Isolation fan! There's barely any story but it is presented as a 'what Amanda Ripley did next' sort of deal.

I would recommend watching a walkthrough of a level to see if it's your cup of tea before buying maybe, and don't expect to pass levels on the first try. There are usually a few objectives needing done and once you know what objectives are coming up next you can start having survivors hidden in lockers at those locations ready to do them ASAP, or have them hanging around the end point if not needed. The time limit is tight enough that otherwise it's pretty impossible! Tense stuff.

Link Prime

I feel personally targeted.

GrudgeJohnDeed

Quote from: Link Prime on 15 November, 2019, 09:03:38 PM
I feel personally targeted.

I have also play Zelda !! Let's go to <redacted> and download and Together.

GordyM

I was enjoying Outer Worlds until itsuddenly stopped halfway through, ran the end credits and  hoped no one would notice.
Check out my new comic Supermom: Expecting Trouble and see how a pregnant superhero tries to deal with the fact that the baby's father is her archnemesis. Free preview pack including 12 pages of art: http://www.mediafire.com/file/57986rnlgk0itfz/Supermom_Preview_Pack.pdf/file

Keef Monkey

Quote from: GordyM on 17 November, 2019, 06:59:26 PM
I was enjoying Outer Worlds until itsuddenly stopped halfway through, ran the end credits and  hoped no one would notice.

I actually really liked the length of the game! Thought it was really refreshing to play a Fallout-style RPG that didn't overstay its welcome or go for the quantity over quality approach a lot of bit sprawling games these days feel they need to adhere to. Writing was consistently good, characters were great, loved it!

Also finished a Switch game called Pode that I've been playing on and off co-op with my other half, it's a really good charming puzzle game and I'd say only one or two puzzles annoyed us which is pretty good going. Did have endless problems with the joycons losing sync or the sync-process just not working properly. We were playing on the couch with it docked and the amount of times they lost sync/stopped responding/drifted like crazy was really pretty insane, to the point that I can't imagine it's normal because more people would be talking about it.

Never had a problem playing handheld or with the pro controller, but on this experience playing with the cons detached seems more hassle than it's really worth. Not sure if it's a console issue or if buying new joycons might help.

Colin YNWA

Kids loved Pode... though of course there is NO WAY they'd have done it in Co-OP mode. Will find time to have a go myself at some point as it looks stunning.

shaolin_monkey

That new Star Wars game is pretty good.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 18 November, 2019, 02:03:11 PM
Kids loved Pode... though of course there is NO WAY they'd have done it in Co-OP mode. Will find time to have a go myself at some point as it looks stunning.

Yeah we definitely got a little irritable with each other during some puzzles, although that was probably more down to the slightly fiddly platforming and controller problems we were having than anything else!

Played through a game in a oner last night called What Remains of Edith Finch? which has been sitting on my shame pile for a while. Really only booted it up before bed to check it was installed properly and 2hrs-ish later it was done and I'd loved every minute of it. A very narrative-focused game where you're exploring your childhood home and discovering the family history through diary entries that you play through (Gone Home is probably the closest comparison I can think of), and I found it very absorbing and emotionally engaging, to the point I didn't really want to stop until it was done.

It's a couple of years old so this is probably old news to most, but it's brilliant.

GordyM

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 18 November, 2019, 09:02:57 AM
Quote from: GordyM on 17 November, 2019, 06:59:26 PM

I actually really liked the length of the game! Thought it was really refreshing to play a Fallout-style RPG that didn't overstay its welcome or go for the quantity over quality approach a lot of bit sprawling games these days feel they need to adhere to. Writing was consistently good, characters were great, loved it!

I did really enjoy the game (and it nicely filled the OG Fallout void made by that franchise going online) but personally it just felt like a sudden ending in what I thought was going to be the turning point in the storyline that would lead to the game's third act. Still, if they bring out a sequel I will pick it up.
Check out my new comic Supermom: Expecting Trouble and see how a pregnant superhero tries to deal with the fact that the baby's father is her archnemesis. Free preview pack including 12 pages of art: http://www.mediafire.com/file/57986rnlgk0itfz/Supermom_Preview_Pack.pdf/file

Apestrife

Finished Death stranding the other night. Took 41h. Amazingly weird as well as amazingly engaging game about delivering stuff across between bunker citys in a post apocalyptic america filled with wondrous philip k dick-esque inventions. Rain which speeds up time of things it hits, the main character carrying a baby in a bottle which can detect ghosts, ghosts which tries to drown the player in black tar, and so on.

The true beauty of the game comes from the indirect coop which is taking place. If I place a ladder, a bridge, leave a motorcycle and so on in my game, it can show up in someone else's game, as well as can their stuff show up in my game. And alot of times it can be a real life saver finding a vehicle when some heavy rain is coming in, potentially ruining my cargo. And to acknowledge things people find people give each other likes. Makes for a really wonderful time playing. Especially since carrying cargo has a real sense of weight to it.

Only thing I wish was a bit better would be the vehicle physics as well as the menus. The menus especially. Tiny text and often unclear button prompts, wether I'm to hold down a button or just press once (finding out I needed to hold down a button to reach a menu was especially tricky...)

Here's a trailer if anyone's interested.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gu8X7vM3Avw

NapalmKev

Quote from: Apestrife on 21 November, 2019, 06:13:57 PM
Finished Death stranding the other night. Took 41h.

Stunning game! I'm only on Episode 5 as I've been hammering away at the side missions.

Quote from: Apestrife on 21 November, 2019, 06:13:57 PM

The true beauty of the game comes from the indirect coop which is taking place. If I place a ladder, a bridge, leave a motorcycle and so on in my game, it can show up in someone else's game, as well as can their stuff show up in my game.

It's always a joy to find something left behind by another player and I like to leave equipment for others wherever possible. [spoiler]I came across a massive cliff face which took 3 climbing ropes to descend, this earned me plenty of 'likes' and they're still being used as the rain hasn't destroyed them yet.[/spoiler]

If you're fan of a deep, compelling story and traversing an apocalyptic wasteland (of sorts) this really is the game for you!

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Link Prime

Gamestop have a pretty good sale on right now - I picked up physical / new PS4 copies of Yooka Laylee, Agony and Rime for €20 the other day.

Rime has been on my watch-list for ages (really wanted to get it on the Switch, but the price never seemed to drop).
It's a relaxing and gorgeous looking game in the same vein as Breath of the Wild, but pretty much without any combat.
Seems to be a bit short unfortunately - I dug deep into it last night, and not sure if I've much longer to go.
But damn, great game.