Main Menu

Consider Phlebas tv show on the way

Started by Ancient Otter, 22 February, 2018, 11:11:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ancient Otter

TordelBack

Good luck to them when they get to Surface Detail!

Lots of good stories and setups to draw on,  but I wonder how the vanishingly low number of recurring characters would handled. Incidentally I think Consider Phlebas is a good starting point for a TV show - even if it's far from the best if the books, it creates the opportunity to introduce the Culture from the PoV of an engaging outsider and opponent,  while still retaining all its mystery. Also, galactic-scale space war, and one of only two major 'historical events' in the series, acting as a bit of an chronological anchor in an (apparently)  unchanging world.

Namewise they should just call the series Special Circumstances.

sheridan

Quote from: TordelBack on 22 February, 2018, 11:31:56 PM
Not read that one yet - is there are non-spoilerific reason for that?

QuoteNamewise they should just call the series Special Circumstances.

My vote is for Outside Context Problem (surely an episode title, if nothing else?)

Aaron A Aardvark

They'd better not drokk this up. So much potential.

CalHab

I wonder what the Idirans will look like. I always struggled to picture them from Banks' description.

TordelBack

Quote from: sheridan on 23 February, 2018, 12:26:50 AM

Much of it is set in a literal Hell, complete with main characters getting repeatedly raped to death by giant demons. Despite that, it manages to be great, but it's hard reading in places, and I can't imagine seeing it visualised...

von Boom

Quote from: TordelBack on 23 February, 2018, 10:28:34 AM
Quote from: sheridan on 23 February, 2018, 12:26:50 AM

Much of it is set in a literal Hell, complete with main characters getting repeatedly raped to death by giant demons. Despite that, it manages to be great, but it's hard reading in places, and I can't imagine seeing it visualised...

We don't have to wait nearly that long. How would they show the faeces eating cannibal cult on the Vavatch orbital?

ABCwarBOT