Main Menu

2000ad Origins & Questions ?

Started by sah3735418, 02 July, 2015, 09:53:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sah3735418

Origins and back issues. This thread is suggested to be used to ask the collective readership questions about 2000ad history that may (or may not) have puzzled you over the years. Someone out there always knows the answers in my experience....

To the get ball rolling, my niggling question is to find out where was the first time that Squaxx dek Thargo was used in 2000ad ? I am convinced that it was in response to a reader letter but having looked through a lot of old nerve centres I have been unable to find Thargs response. Anyone able to point me in the right direction with a prog number ?

Tiplodocus

Another Q
I recall a line of dialogue where Dredd refers to "dunks, taps and pongoes" working a slab.  I'm pretty sure dunks were just pickpockets and taps were muggers. But what is a pongo? Or did I imagine it?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 02 July, 2015, 12:31:15 PM
I recall a line of dialogue where Dredd refers to "dunks, taps and pongoes" working a slab.  I'm pretty sure dunks were just pickpockets and taps were muggers. But what is a pongo?

Confidence tricksters.
@jamesfeistdraws

Dandontdare

Quote from: sah3735418 on 02 July, 2015, 09:53:28 AMTo the get ball rolling, my niggling question is to find out where was the first time that Squaxx dek Thargo was used in 2000ad ? I am convinced that it was in response to a reader letter but having looked through a lot of old nerve centres I have been unable to find Thargs response. Anyone able to point me in the right direction with a prog number ?

If I recall right, "Boragg Thungg" and "Splundig Vur Thrigg" were in from prog 1, and the rest of the betelgeusian phrases were first seen in a "betelgeusian phrasebook" - which was obviously a bit light on content, so they invented several phrases which were never referred to again. Couldn't tell you which prog exactly, through my guess would be somewhere in the 70-100 period.

Dark Jimbo

This one?

A BETELGEUSIAN PHRASEBOOK
Borag Thungg - Galactic Greetings
Deca Thargo - Earthlet who has read 2000AD since prog 1
Florix Grabundae - Many Thanks
Ghafflebette - Out of this World
Grexnix - Idiot or un-zarjaz person!
Klfixam - Keeper of the Law
Krill Tro Thargo - Honoured by Tharg (special award to Earthlets who have helped advance the cause of Thrill-Power)
Nazotimer - A Giver of Knowledge (teacher)
Nonscrot - Person who does not read 2000AD or prefers other comics
Quaequam Blag! - Bloody Hell!
Scrotnig - Thrill-Powered
Seto Thargo - Earthlet with a complete collection of 2000AD progs
Splundig vur Thrigg - Farewell
Squaxx dek Thargo - Friend of Tharg (every regular reader of 2000AD)
Stanglic Crott - A creator of a species. (No direct equivalent on Earth, but Parent is nearest to the meaning)
Thrashoruns - Best Wishes
Throgloopnarg quae quam quallust stralk - My cripes, I'm annoyed (printable translation)
Vinglop Hudsock - Great Enjoyment
Zarjaz - Fantastic
@jamesfeistdraws

Dandontdare

That's the one, you're a true Nazotimer - I took great Vinglop Hudsock in it at the time, but, Throgloopnarg quae quam quallust stralk, I wish I could remember which prog it was in!

Thrashoruns
Dandontdare

sheridan

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 02 July, 2015, 03:59:17 PM
Deca Thargo - Earthlet who has read 2000AD since prog 1
It should be pointed out that Deca Thargo was a new one on the 10th anniversary, and so at the time would have also meant 'has read 2000AD for ten years'.  That's my preferred definition, anyway...

As for first use of other terms, something else I can look out for on my prog slog...

sah3735418

Does that make me a "Triacontakaioct Thargo" then having read 2000ad for 38 years (and maintained the complete collection)?  :D

ZenArcade

This is bringing me vInglop Hudsock . Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

judgerussell

I think I remember the list of sayings appearing in an annual, although I can't remember if it was the first appearance of the list.

Dark Jimbo

I cribbed it from Barney, so I don't actually know where it first appeared.
@jamesfeistdraws

Big_Dave

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 03 July, 2015, 05:59:43 PM

I remember the guide to Megaspeak from the bog paper days - can't remember which prog. This rubbish retcon is from the 1990 Judge Dredd Mega-special - but it confirms the original meaning:

sheridan

Quote from: Big_Dave on 03 July, 2015, 08:02:38 PM
Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 03 July, 2015, 05:59:43 PM

I remember the guide to Megaspeak from the bog paper days - can't remember which prog. This rubbish retcon is from the 1990 Judge Dredd Mega-special - but it confirms the original meaning:
That one passed me by at the time - but I do like the way it has reflected real speech, with meanings mutating over time...

sah3735418

The Squaxx question still perplexes, I guess the only way to find it is to go through all those old progs again till I spot it. I am sure it was in response to a reader letter, but my aging memory could be failing me now... If anyone spots it in the meantime, let us know. I will post if I figure out the puzzle myself.

Professor Bear

In our blessed and terrible age of continuity-wank, has it ever been addressed what happened to the crab baby at the end of Hell Trekkers?