Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Headroom

Does anyone know if the two volumes of 'Bad Company' in this collection will include every story so far published?
Thank you.

Jade Falcon

This isn't maybe the best place to ask, but I read that Disaster 1990 was a freebie in a Dredd Megazine.  Is anyone here willing to sell it, if they have it.  I realise it's probably nostalgia.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

sintec

Quote from: Max Headroom on 02 November, 2018, 03:27:57 PM
Does anyone know if the two volumes of 'Bad Company' in this collection will include every story so far published?
Thank you.

I don't think it's been confirmed either way. Adding up page counts from Barney it looks like it'd be a tight squeeze to get all of it in 2 vols but not impossible.

Vol 1 (strip count 241):
Bad Company
The Bewilderness
The Krool Heart

Vol 2 (strip count 193):
Simply
Ararat
Kano
Bad Company 2002
B.A.D. Company
First Casualties
Young Men Marching
Down Among the Dead Men

If they're going to cut anything I'd guess it'll be the short episodes from the Specials and the Megazine.  If they do that then I guess we might see The Krool Heart pushed into vol 2 giving us ~180 pages in Vol 1 and ~220 in Vol 2 and a not quite complete run.  I've not read the strip before so I've no idea how important those shorts are to continuity.

The Monarch

i am more willing to bet the new stuff will be the ones cut and the krool heart will be in vol 2

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: sintec on 03 November, 2018, 08:46:42 AM
Quote from: Max Headroom on 02 November, 2018, 03:27:57 PM
Thank you.

Vol 1 (strip count 241):
Bad Company
The Bewilderness
The Krool Heart

Vol 2 (strip count 193):
Simply
Ararat
Kano
Bad Company 2002
B.A.D. Company
First Casualties
Young Men Marching
Down Among the Dead Men

If they're going to cut anything I'd guess it'll be the short episodes from the Specials and the Megazine.  If they do that then I guess we might see The Krool Heart pushed into vol 2 giving us ~180 pages in Vol 1 and ~220 in Vol 2 and a not quite complete run.  I've not read the strip before so I've no idea how important those shorts are to continuity.

Your order's a bit all over the place, there - 'Simply' is set during the original run, and 'Young Men Marching' is a prequel to it. Both short but excellent stories. 'B.A.D. Company' is the original Dreddworld-set pilot; I'd be very surprised if that's included at all. The rest of your volume 2 contents are of... well, questionable quality. Personally I'd be perfectly happy for volume 1 to end with 'The Krool Heart' so that I can call the story done and not have to bother with volume 2!
@jamesfeistdraws

karlos

Hi all

After being away from the scene for a year due to illness, I was just wondering:

Are the issues showing per the Hatchette website as "out of stock" ever going to come back into print?

And, is it possible to subscribe per the website for more than one copy of each issue going forward (one copy for a friend?)

Any help much appreciated, chaps!

sintec

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 03 November, 2018, 09:29:16 PM
Your order's a bit all over the place, there

So it is - and looking at my spreadsheet I've clearly got a bug in the script that built the list which has lead to the weird ordering.  Will have to investigate that when I've got a bit of spare time.

IndigoPrime

Karlos: hard to know about restocks, but I suspect it's unlikely for older stuff. Stock levels for more recent issues aren't always accurate. Send them a Facebook message to see what the current status is. For older issues, you should check out Facebook Marketplace as well as eBay. Some people are starting to offload collections. (No idea about multiple subs, but I can't imagine why they wouldn't.)

karlos

Will do, IndigoPrime - thanks a million!

BPP

I think some of the out of stock is due to subscriptions being on different schedules. I'm a month behind everyone (most) here and am sure others are behind me. Marking those as out of stock till the last subscriber has got theirs makes some degree of sense.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

abelardsnazz

The Hachette site is showing the cover of Bad Company volume 1, it's the Brendan McCarthy pin-up of Kano which I think first appeared during the Bewilderness run.

Tomwe

Quote from: abelardsnazz on 07 November, 2018, 07:37:10 AM
The Hachette site is showing the cover of Bad Company volume 1, it's the Brendan McCarthy pin-up of Kano which I think first appeared during the Bewilderness run.
It's a great image!

Dark Jimbo

Well, Slaine 3 is a great volume. Only a few negatives compared to the very similar Rebellion edition, and neither as bad as that annoyingly ballsed-up endpaper - the last page of The Killing Field is not in colour, and the Tomb of Terror RPG bits aren't included. I think that's a crying shame - when I read ToT for the first time I played the relevant RPG page after each episode, and it was HUGE fun, really adding extra dimensions to the story. It doesn't bode well for the inclusion of either of the Nemesis Diceman episodes.

It's great material though - Slaine the King is probably my favourite run of the character, even edging out Sky Chariots. Fabry is just on fire, there's a great supporting cast for Slaine and Ukko to bounce off, there's snappy and genuinely funny dialogue throughout*, Nest is cute and spunky, Niamh makes a massive impression in a relatively small pagecount with her no-nonsense attitude, and the Land of the Young has never felt so fully realised. It's a shame Murdach and Slaine don't get much time to interact in ToT; their banter during Time Killer was great, and it's a surprise that we never see him again. Niamh's introduction more than makes up for that, though, and the narrative feels really energised going forward from the Time Killer stuff.

*Favourite bit - Slaine and co find a keg of beer on their slog through the Tomb, and immediately sack off the quest to have a booze. Myrddin splutters 'May I remind you that we are engaged on a mission of vital importance to save all life on Earth?' 'You may,' says Slaine, lifting his tankard. 'Cheers.'
@jamesfeistdraws

karlos

100% in agreement, DarkJimbo - my all-time fave period of Slaine, hands down.

Shame about the RPG pages - not surprised, but still, that was huge fun back in the day and was looking forward to having another go!

Maybe I need to track down the Best of 2000ad monthlies!!

rogue69

there's a copy of the Slaine Gaming book on eBay at the moment, bids starting at just £2.82 or another one at £10