Main Menu

Science is Drokking Fantastic Because...

Started by The Legendary Shark, 21 July, 2011, 11:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

Indeed. So many wonders in one tiny patch of sky. I find it marvelous that when Einstein started his work the scientific consensus was that the Milky Way was the only galaxy in the universe - and now, look at that, galaxies everywhere scattered about with such casual majesty. Awesome in the truest sense of the word.

Impatient for more!

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

paddykafka

An interesting article here, by David Moore of Astronomy Ireland about the James Webb Space Telescope.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/commentanalysis/arid-40918946.html

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: Mister Pops on 06 July, 2022, 11:05:25 PMThis is more pure maths than science, but in honour of the current Prime Minister of England, I thought I'd share 3Blue1Brown's latest video on How to Lie Using Visual Examples
Just got around to watching this. I didn't understand a word of it (being a mathematical dunce) but I did enjoy it - though I enjoyed this one better. My solution worked but was completely wrong, and the real solution is a proper d'oh inducing headslapper.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Funt Solo

Covid origin studies say evidence points to Wuhan market

It's an interesting article, with the key point at the end:

QuoteThe major risk of being distracted by looking for someone in a laboratory to blame for all this ... "is that we run the risk of letting this happen again because we've focused on the wrong problem."
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Legendary Shark

The James Webb Space Telescope has a gander at Jupiter.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Dandontdare

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I'm guessing it has something to do with JWST being calibrated to infrared. It compensates for the doppler red shift at a intergalactic scales, but it might make reds look white at interplanetary scales. That's my guess, but it could just be an instagram filter.
You may quote me on that.

The Legendary Shark

This is a composite image from Webb's NIRCam instrument (two filters) and was acquired on 27 July 2022, it says here. Probably some kind of false colour image to enhance the details, I'd guess, but I can't be arsed looking it up.

Still. Nice pic, innit?

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

Don't they artificially colour most of the space pictures?  I could be wrong, and probably am.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JayzusB.Christ

I've pretty much left Facebook, and only use Instagram to advertise my murals.  I have no intention of leaving Whatsapp though, I like it - I live alone and do a lot of things alone, but don't want to be alone ALL the time.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

You're never alone with a dog. I'd be lost without my little Jack Russel/Patterdale cross (Patterjack?). He doesn't listen to me, fetch my slippers or allow me into my own bed but he's good company and cheap to run.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 02 September, 2022, 11:20:34 AM
I've pretty much left Facebook, and only use Instagram to advertise my murals.  I have no intention of leaving Whatsapp though, I like it - I live alone and do a lot of things alone, but don't want to be alone ALL the time.

Oops! Was wondering what had happened that post - it was meant for the Black Dog thread, iirc.  Apologies al - a right weirdo I must have looked posting that kind of thing on the science thread.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

@markmccaughrean just tweeted this image: "Hello darkness, my old friend" – A tiny snippet from our new #JWST data, showing a planetary system in the making, floating in space & silhouetted against the bright background light of the Orion Nebula."
(spaceref.com)
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

Mary Kay Awards Education Grant to Young Woman Aspiring to Become First Latin American Woman Astronaut to Visit Mars.

(More to the point hereabouts, this pic inspires me to consider writing "Danielle Dare - Astronaut of the Future...")
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]