Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leigh S

looking forward to your take on 178 onwards - this is my era (well, started with 195 as a regular, but all the stories from then are about to start!). Redondo is a fantastic artist, and Meltdown Man is hokey but also genius! Even Mean Arena caught my interest (possibly those Dillon drawn episodes!)

Colin YNWA

Just listening to Episode 14 and Lucky and Jim (what like you expect me to remember Conrad's and Fox's names now) are about to talk about Visible Man... I've been so looking forward to this... happy days... well a good way to spend a Friday night for an old duffer who doesn't go down the pub any more.

Steve Green

I re-read Mean Arena recently, I thought there was going to be more Dillon episodes, but it's just the Jensen Clan bit really.

Starts off OK, but seems to throw too much in there, and drops characters like the reporter who you think is going to play a larger role.

Listening to the podcast, I'd really like a collection of all the Ro-Jaws Robo-tales and the Tharg Stories.

FoxIsntARobot

Quote from: Lobo Baggins on 28 July, 2017, 02:04:48 PM

'Ave yersel a care, Sheridan, Wurzles baint fer the eyes o' furriners! Thems ud gives thur wurzels ta thur snobgrobbers an' eats thur manglewurzles themselfs!  Oh ah, thus'd make oi laff!

Anyway, that's nothing like Madness. This is Madness

Ska!?!?! Well, that was a bit mad.

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 28 July, 2017, 08:52:42 PM
Just listening to Episode 14 and Lucky and Jim (what like you expect me to remember Conrad's and Fox's names now) are about to talk about Visible Man... I've been so looking forward to this... happy days... well a good way to spend a Friday night for an old duffer who doesn't go down the pub any more.

Visible man is factually gorgeous. Sometimes you just need to crash a wedding party and eat all the cake.

Quote from: Steve Green on 28 July, 2017, 09:11:25 PM
I re-read Mean Arena recently, I thought there was going to be more Dillon episodes, but it's just the Jensen Clan bit really.

Starts off OK, but seems to throw too much in there, and drops characters like the reporter who you think is going to play a larger role.

Listening to the podcast, I'd really like a collection of all the Ro-Jaws Robo-tales and the Tharg Stories.

Robo Tales collection, or Tharg Stories collection would be pretty mighty....

But it means hearing a lot of "BEEP BEEP BEEEEEP" -- which I'm all for hahaha

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling fifty-third episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest comic with the 1981 2000 AD Annual (Annuals are dated by the following year). We've been pretty tough on annuals over the years, and this one has some pretty rough sections, but also has some extremely neat comics, articles, and features. For the first time ever we have two non-comics as the top thrill!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

WhizzBang

Great stuff as usual. I had that annual 2 or 3 of years after it was released and remember it being okay but not as good as the subsequent years annuals.

I have no recollection at all of any of the re-print stuff discussed. From the sounds of it, you have to wonder if the editor even read the strips before picking them for inclusion. In 2000ad histories it is said that Sci Fi had a bad name in UK comics before 2000AD arrived (sports and war was where it was at) so perhaps it was stuff like this that earned that reputation.

The annuals should be good from now on though, and the first 2 Dredd annuals are a real treat. Do we get the 1981 Dredd annual SpaceSpinner 2000 next week? I can vividly remember much of it even after at least 30 years so I must have pored over it many times in my bored youth.

SpaceSpinner2000

The 1981 annual is both totally awesome and will. E covered on Thursday! We're saving the best for last!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

Fungus

Dredd Annual 1981 is vying with my first prog for pride of place if you order these things by sentimental value. Which you wouldn't do unless you were daft of course.

Been decades, but I think the pages are reasonably intact. Unlike my copy of 1982's. Wouldn't read that in a draughty room...

Lobo Baggins

Say, speaking of Labyrinth (as you were in... err... episode 49) with the idea that the Fireys strongly resemble the Aliens from Lesser Lingo, pretty much everything we see in Sarah's room turns up in some form or another in the Labyrinth, and she does have a copy of the Judge Dredd Boardgame sitting on a shelf, so maybe there was a copy of prog 164 lying around somewhere too.  And chronologically it's pretty close to the cover of prog 168 that can be spotted in The Princess Bride, too...

The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: Lobo Baggins on 01 August, 2017, 01:33:13 PM
Say, speaking of Labyrinth (as you were in... err... episode 49) with the idea that the Fireys strongly resemble the Aliens from Lesser Lingo, pretty much everything we see in Sarah's room turns up in some form or another in the Labyrinth, and she does have a copy of the Judge Dredd Boardgame sitting on a shelf, so maybe there was a copy of prog 164 lying around somewhere too.  And chronologically it's pretty close to the cover of prog 168 that can be spotted in The Princess Bride, too...

Whoa I never noticed either of those, but that's a good eye! Honestly I tend to think that most of these kinds of things are just happy coincidences instead of big movie guys stealing ideas from comics. Except for Jurassic Park, that's so clearly stolen from Judge Dredd it defies belief!

Steve Green

Pretty sure the dinosaur theme park thing had been done in a short story before either and had been mentioned as an inspiration for the one in Dredd.

Maybe this from 1969 - although it's giant robots than cloned animals?

http://prehistoricpulp.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/the-parasaurians-by-robert-wells-1969.html

Steve Green

Reading a bit more, they're touted as robots, but the twist is they're cloned animals.

So before both JP and Cursed Earth.

Colin YNWA

Before we get too carried away the whole Cursed Earth is 'inspired' by Damnation Alley. So what goes around comes around.

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling fifty-fourth episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest comic with the 1981 Judge Dredd Annual (Annuals are dated by the following year). It's the first Dredd Annual, after a few years of Dan Dare Themed ones. Join us for the first great 2000AD annual, featuring Dredd, the whole Dredd, and nothing but the Dredd!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!

Also a quick programming note, for the next few weeks we'll only be doing one new show a week (on Mondays). But tune in Thursday for our Collection episodes, it's all our coverage of a specific storyline or thill all in one place. Of course we're starting next week with the Cursed Earth, but we will have some more personal favorites after that! I hope you did it!

The Monarch