Main Menu

America vs Judge Child - Dredd Epics Ranked - Better! Quarter Final 1

Started by Colin YNWA, 05 April, 2021, 06:50:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Okay so instead of my normal blather I'll intro this one with some logistics. Quarter finals. I've matched pairings by taking the highest Seed and putting it against the lowest Seed. One a day (with play-offs running alongside) 3 days for these ones. Winners in the semis, losers into a play-off for positions 12-5... your confused - look I'm running this thing and I'm hanging on by my fingernails too!

Seed 1 America Megs (Vol. 1) 1-7

Vs

Seed 11 Judge Child - Progs 156 - 181

Still with the simple purity of popping the name of the Epic you prefer in a reply to this thread (remember to mark it clearly so I can spot it - bold tags are good) and then say whatever the heck you like to about these two great stories.

We're 3 day votes for these ones so this one will close first thing in the morning Thursday 8th April - winner advance to the semis - loser goes into the 12th - 5th place playoff vote.

All links go through to AlexF's simply brilliant Dredd Epics Ranked blog. You may need to scroll to find his write up of a particular story - but I'd suggest just reading the whole thing anyway - it's fantastic stuff.

Baffled by what's going on here - well we have a a thread for that - though that might leave you more confused than anything.

Rules for what they are worth.

Not sure about anything just ask and I'll blag it.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Magnetica

Some might consider America to be the greatest story to ever appear in 2000AD or the Megazine. That's not a bad shout; but it's not an epic.

The Judge Child very much is an epic and a classic one at that. My favourite indeed and so it gets my vote, all day long.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

The Judge Child, for being the strip that was running when I made my first "proper return" to 2000AD- the one that cemented the comic as a weekly buy "no matter what" for at least four years.

SBT

GoGilesGo

Judge Child every day of the week.

I even think the romance between Buggo and Uglika was more convincing than between Ami and Bennett.

Huey2

abelardsnazz

America is significant and memorable, but it's not an epic nor arguably even a Dredd story. As the other option is definitely both of those, my vote is for The Judge Child.

Dr Feeley Good

Dark Jimbo

So much 'America's not an epic' talk. It's not the longest story, no, but even beyond its two direct sequels it introduced Total War, a thorn in the Judge's side for decades to come; it gave us the Terror/Total War cycle, and the six months(!) of aftermath stories that followed in its wake. It gave us maybe Dredd's single most important supporting character and led, in part, to Day of Chaos. That's one hell of a legacy for a 'not epic' story.

Judge Child is a fun picaresque romp about a bald mutant boy, a family of hillbillies and some goofy space shenanigans. Don't get me wrong, I love the Judge Child, but it doesn't have anything like the weight or legacy of America.
@jamesfeistdraws

JayzusB.Christ

America. Mega City 1 Dredd beats Space Dredd by a mile for me.  Also, it's America.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

milstar

Defo Judge Child. But don't think I am America hater. I just don't find it being an epic, nor Judge Dredd story. It's rather a philosophical tale.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.