Main Menu

2000AD Sci-Fi Swipe File

Started by ming, 30 October, 2013, 06:21:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: Dash Decent on 05 November, 2013, 10:37:47 AM
Speaking of homages, I'm sure we've had a few variations on the 'people in the late night diner with the curved front' painting show up in the prog and meg.

Aye, there's loads of art-homages.  From this week's re-reading, Millais' Ophelia stands in for the dead Demi in Eurocrash (can't find a scan of the latter(:

But I suspect all the artistic borrowings are conscious and explicit homages, intended to be recognised and appreciated as such.  I doubt the same can be said for the Hero of Northpool!

Skullmo

Yes - there is difference between an artistic homage (that you want readers to spot), a swipe (that you want them to miss), photo referencing (to make things a bit more realistic), and copy of designs (make the incidental details more convincing).
It's a joke. I was joking.

Steve Green

Funny though, I think the Gibbons version is a better design, and the bodywork feels more like a functional machine.

Was very surprised to see the Robusters extras, but again I think there were improvements like Gottleib's striped bollard legs.

Albion

Remember this from a while back?
Another one from Ro-Busters, Dr Feely-Good.

Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Dash Decent on 05 November, 2013, 10:37:47 AM
Quote from: SuperSurfer on 05 November, 2013, 12:19:31 AM
What's interesting about this one is how very flagrant a rip-off it is of Rudolph Zallinger's 1960 painting of Brontosaurus being attacked by Allosaurus

They say very flagrant a rip-off, Tharg says 'homage'.

Speaking of homages, I'm sure we've had a few variations on the 'people in the late night diner with the curved front' painting show up in the prog and meg.

As if by magic:

Skullmo

Outlaw was clearly based on 2pac - who also has outlaw tattooed on his arm.

It's a joke. I was joking.

Richmond Clements

Colin YNWA

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 05 November, 2013, 11:38:47 PM

As if by magic:

Nighthawks by Hopper has to be one of the most referenced and homaged pieces of art in the comics field. There's countless examples of it being used... no I don't have any to hand you'll just have to trust me...

Andy_Lee

Quote from: Albion on 05 November, 2013, 11:25:16 PM

Yes, thanks Albion. That's exactly the pic I was thinking of.

Dash Decent

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 06 November, 2013, 08:13:51 AM
Nighthawks by Hopper has to be one of the most referenced and homaged pieces of art in the comics field. There's countless examples of it being used... no I don't have any to hand you'll just have to trust me...

And not just in comics.  And the same could be said for American Gothic.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

ming

Quote from: Albion on 05 November, 2013, 11:25:16 PM

Fantastic.

Andy_Lee

Obligatory Land Raider / Matchbox K2001 Raider Command post.

I think this was some kind of tie-in promo because there was a comp to win one in prog 80.

ming

Quote from: AndyLee on 06 November, 2013, 12:20:15 PM
Obligatory Land Raider / Matchbox K2001 Raider Command post.
I think this was some kind of tie-in promo because there was a comp to win one in prog 80.

As a kid in the 70's, being able to play with a toy of something from the pages of 2000AD was such a joy...

Bolland quoted from an interview posted on David Bishop's blog:

"There was a toy tie-in – the Killdozer, it was a real story. They gave us this toy to draw it into the story. The script said I had to draw the Killdozer driving up the face of Mt Rushmore. There was no way this thing manage it, but I just drew what I was asked to do. It was going pretty much vertically. It didn't look very convincing to me, but there you go!"

http://viciousimagery.blogspot.no/2007/02/28-days-of-2000-ad-24-brian-bolland-pt.html

TordelBack

Quote from: ming on 06 November, 2013, 01:10:36 PMThe script said I had to draw the Killdozer driving up the face of Mt Rushmore.... It didn't look very convincing to me, but there you go!

That's the Mt. Rushmore moved from the south-west of South Dakota to somewhere in Appalachia, folks!

ming

Quote from: TordelBack on 06 November, 2013, 01:45:18 PMThat's the Mt. Rushmore moved from the south-west of South Dakota to somewhere in Appalachia, folks!

Well if they can move the White Cliffs of Dover to the Big Meg for a one-off*, I don't see why Mutie Rushmore should be a problem...  :lol:

* If they made an appearance outside UnAmerican Graffiti, my brain doesn't know about it.  Please advise.