Main Menu

Does my Art look big in this?

Started by staticgirl, 10 February, 2010, 02:33:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dancornwell

going to do something for that comp. Ummmmmmm. can't get the dark judges out of my head though.

Darren Stephens

Wow, ease up fellas! Couple of excellent bits of art and no mistake. Oh, and welcome!  :D
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Gavin_Leahy_Block

People really know how to introduce themselves these days, fantastic work, both of you.

nev

Dave and dan, exceptional work and thanks for the feedback. :)

davethomson

Thanks everyone, after seeing all the awesome art collected here I felt I should post my best piece. Now that I have it posted, it will all be downhill from here...

I'll be entering the art comp Jim, no need to worry.
Everything I know about life, I learnt from old school hip-hop. Don't sweat the technique!

Bolt-01

Bloody Hell Dave- Wish you'd shown me that at Bristol! Dogbreath would really have liked that.

Emperor

Quote from: davethomson on 07 April, 2010, 09:55:37 AM
Thanks everyone, after seeing all the awesome art collected here I felt I should post my best piece. Now that I have it posted, it will all be downhill from here...

Oh I'm sure there is more where that came from, the Farscape fan art shows it isn't a one-off ;)
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

davethomson

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 08 April, 2010, 11:38:01 AM
Bloody Hell Dave- Wish you'd shown me that at Bristol! Dogbreath would really have liked that.

I'm fairly sure you did see it at Bristol last year but it was at the end of my folio. By the time you got there you were already telling me how much you wanted the strip ahead of it. Dogbreath can still have it if they want it. I fell out of love with it after Simon Bisley called it shite, shortly before he signed my arm and called me a c**t.

Anyway, this is an art thread so here is some more art. The first page of that Dredd strip I was showing around Hi-Ex. It's not quite finished as I have just noticed the eagle pad in the last panel is missing a few lines (curses!).

I wish I could colour faster...
Everything I know about life, I learnt from old school hip-hop. Don't sweat the technique!

nev

Stunning page Dave. Keep the good work coming.

Emperor

Quote from: davethomson on 08 April, 2010, 08:15:11 PMI fell out of love with it after Simon Bisley called it shite, shortly before he signed my arm and called me a c**t.

I think there are a few people round here who'd be happy with Simon Bisley calling them a c**t - although he might want to do some work on giving up and coming creators feedback ;)

Quote from: davethomson on 08 April, 2010, 08:15:11 PMAnyway, this is an art thread so here is some more art. The first page of that Dredd strip I was showing around Hi-Ex. It's not quite finished as I have just noticed the eagle pad in the last panel is missing a few lines (curses!).

I wish I could colour faster...

Still it is lovely job you've done there. "Cycle of Violence" is the most popular sample script and while I suspect those tackling might not want to look at the thread until they are done ;) there is a thread on the sample strips here it you want to see other people take a run at it (plus f you want any detailed feedback you can ask there):

http://www.2000adonline.com/forum/index.php/topic,27411.0.html

One thing that jumps out - it is a flashback and most people go for the Mk 1 Lawgiver. Hope that has not sprinkled something that is nothing like vinegar on your chips.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Jared Katooie

That's really brilliant Dave. Top quality stuff!

SuperSurfer

That's damn good art there, Dave. First panel in particular. As I scrolled and it came into view I thought it was by Simon Fraser.

davethomson

Quote from: Emperor on 09 April, 2010, 01:10:01 AM
One thing that jumps out - it is a flashback and most people go for the Mk 1 Lawgiver. Hope that has not sprinkled something that is nothing like vinegar on your chips.

It was originally the movie Lawgiver on the first page, and it will be again on the later pages set in the future. I thought this one was an early Lawgiver, shows how much I know about Dredd. :-[

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 09 April, 2010, 02:11:07 PM
That's damn good art there, Dave. First panel in particular. As I scrolled and it came into view I thought it was by Simon Fraser.

Thanks Supersurfer! I hope Simon Fraser doesn't find out that someone compared his work to that of a filthy lowlander. He'll have my head off in no time! :lol:

Daveycandlish

Ladies! Gentlemen! Those of you who are yet to make up your minds!

I give you...  JIKAN - Second Sun.
Written by The Legendary Shark, with art by daveycandlish

http://www.myebook.com/index.php?option=ebook&id=32483

An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

nev

Fantastic work Davey and Shark, an enjoyable read.