Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.Smith

Quote from: Bat King on 29 January, 2015, 12:32:53 AM
Interest in this has been very high on my Blog, et cetera.

Yeah, I've been glad to see that on the few threads I visit regularly on Comic Book Resources's forums there's people asking after it. Fingers crossed that its success will continue past the first few cheap volumes and can launch internationally!

I bought a copy of the first one in Spire News, Chesterfield this week, and I'm impressed, a good solid hardback nice glossy pages.

I'll be buying Mechismo next week, but after that I'll be selective as I'm midway through the Complete Case files. I'll certainly be keeping my eye out for the spin-off Dreddworld stories like Lowlife.

Proudhuff

Quote from: Proudhuff on 28 January, 2015, 02:17:20 PM
Anyone spotted this in Edinbra yet?

if anyone's cares or is still looking: FP can't get their heads round supplying this, however the nice chap there suggested RS McColls in Nicholson sq and the nice camp chap in there delivered the goods with a cheery Enjoy! Carrying it around town was a bit like having one of those 'End is Nigh' boards: the odd smirk or a knowing nod from passersby while the rest looked slightly embarrassed on my behalf.

So for our Jock readers RS McColls can supply!
DDT did a job on me

Magnetica

Quote from: Skullmo on 28 January, 2015, 02:43:36 PM
Found it at the Smiths in Waterloo - they have loads of them.

Wow - I can't even find the Prog or Meg there. They also didn't seem to have the Summer or Winter Specials, so surprised at that - but that's great. I would buy it there if they stocked it (not that I am going buy it regularly).

Out of interest which Smith's was it? (There are at least two).

Whilst I am at it - you said you have confirmation that the centre spread in the Cursed Earth will be in black and white - that is disappointing as I would buy it if it was in colour. I ask because some one else posted photo of a questionnaire asking what stories they would buy and it said "Cursed Earth in B&W and colour.

TordelBack

Was interested to note that Easons in Blanchardstown had sold out of Part 1, something that few other partworks could claim, and unusually only had a single Prog left on the shelf on Thursday (reduced to none after my visit).  Interesting times!

James Stacey

I mailed Hachette to see if they had a list of upcomings ( the marvel one was sent out on request shortly after the start of the series ) but they say they have no list of what's upcoming. Might be tricky for them to print it if that's the case :)

robert_ellis

Please don't post the list - where's the fun in that? I want a surprise each fortnight. Can anyone who subscribed to the Marvel series explain when we'll receive the books? Is it the same time as the shops or later? And they arrive in pairs?

TordelBack

Quote from: James Stacey on 30 January, 2015, 10:47:17 PM
...but they say they have no list of what's upcoming.

And yet previews of Mechanismo show it labelled as Vol 24.

user2000

Quote from: robert_ellis on 30 January, 2015, 10:56:20 PM
Please don't post the list - where's the fun in that? I want a surprise each fortnight. Can anyone who subscribed to the Marvel series explain when we'll receive the books? Is it the same time as the shops or later? And they arrive in pairs?

When I was taking the Marvel collection (up to the original 60th volume only  ::) ) then you got two at a time, but you had to wait until the second volume had been released before you got them.

In other words you will sort of be a fortnight behind every month, if that makes sense.

robert_ellis

Echidna

Quote from: Magnetica on 30 January, 2015, 05:47:27 PM
Whilst I am at it - you said you have confirmation that the centre spread in the Cursed Earth will be in black and white - that is disappointing as I would buy it if it was in colour. I ask because some one else posted photo of a questionnaire asking what stories they would buy and it said "Cursed Earth in B&W and colour.

I think you mean this... I'd be disappointed too; without colour spreads The Cursed Earth and Apocalypse War wouldn't have much to recommend them over the Case Files editions. Then again, the spreads in the Case Files lose a lot of information in the gutter, so I'll be interested to see if the Mega Collection is better in that respect.

Spikes

Personally speaking, I wouldn't mind if they had a list, and could supply it. If only to confirm my suspicion that the ones im really looking forward to getting, will be out towards the end of the run...

I'm not that fussed about having the DPS's in colour, for - say, the Cursed Earth, or Apocalypse War. Sure, we've all bought and re-bought them a bunch of times, so it would be nice, but its not a deal breaker for me.
Hopefully, they'll have some decent 'extra's' included to make them different enough from previous editions.

And talking about extra's - I suspect the Day of Chaos issue (Which I hope is ALL in one volume, and features ONLY the MacNeil drawn direct prequel - alongside the main story, AND includes the DoC episode written by Michael Carroll...) may include pencil pages by Leigh Gallagher?

Leigh was good enough to send me scans of the pencils for some pages I bought from him, and something looking very similar to these appears to be on the website for the Dredd collection under the 'extra content' section.

Frank

Quote from: Spikes on 31 January, 2015, 02:28:13 PM
I suspect the Day of Chaos issue (Which I hope is ALL in one volume, and features ONLY the MacNeil drawn direct prequel - alongside the main story, AND includes the DoC episode written by Michael Carroll...) may include pencil pages by Leigh Gallagher?

Pye Parr told Michael Carroll that his Day Of Chaos aftermath story, Debris (art by PJ Holden) is in volume 6. Make of that what you will.

Magnetica

Thanks Echidna I did mean that.

For me the colour centre spreads for the Cursed Earth is a deal breaker - shock horror I don't have the Progs it was in, but I do have the Titan reprints from way back. They are great and from memory don't suffer from the same difficulty in reading the bits in the middle of the centre spread as case files do. But they are in black and white.

So if the Cursed Earth was done with colour centre spreads I would buy it just for that, just like I got the Mek Files Volume 1 just for the handful of colour spreads I missed in the Progs even though I have the b/w Titan voume already.

If it is black and white I will pass. Don't really understand what the difficulty in re-producing them is, 
but then again I am not in publishing.