Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trout

Tordel, I have similar problems, as the boy's arrival in about six weeks means we have officially run out of rooms.

I have various solutions in place, starting with clearing out much of the loft, so I can shift more stuff in there. It was all shit, anyway. My wife has agreed we can have some shelves in the living room, with graphic novels on. They'll be the nicer ones, with matching spines and all that. I'm quite looking forward to it.

Parents have no time for comics anyway.

- Trout

TordelBack

QuoteMy wife has agreed we can have some shelves in the living room, with graphic novels on. They'll be the nicer ones, with matching spines and all that.

Detente has been achieved on this subject in my own castle, and the assembly of allegedly-acceptable IKEA Billy bookcases is ongoing.

I've had to accept that my humongous SF/F novel collection is going to have to be decimated (they'll have to pry my LeGuins, Asimovs and McDevitts out of my cold dead hands, but maybe I can let my Hamiltons, Gibsons and Bears go), and have already moved most of my work-related books to my business premises, leaving only the prettier and more obscure.  My 2000ADs are non-negotiable, and most live in the attic anyway, but my '80s American comic mountain is coming out of the attic to make way for the rest, and will probably be heading to the charity shop.  Then begins the task of winnowing the Star Wars mountain, which I'm really not looking forward to.  

I will say that aside from the time involved (and the possibility of having  to lose some of  the Star Wars stuff), it's all well, well worth it - despite being up today since 1.45am with her squalling spider monkey alter ego, I can confirm that my daughter is worth a bonfire of geekphenalia such as the world has never seen, never mind dropping a box of X-Men and Tad Williams into Oxfam.

Don't believe me?  Click on!  http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=686369&l=e35dffeca3&id=1389214714

Trout

Quote from: TordelBack on 01 October, 2009, 01:47:46 PMmy daughter is worth a bonfire of geekphenalia such as the world has never seen

Well said that man. That's just how I feel!

Fantastic pic, by the way! PM me with your real name and I'll provide access to cute kid pics and much geekery on Facebook!

SuperSurfer

Quote from: TordelBack on 01 October, 2009, 01:47:46 PM
Detente has been achieved on this subject in my own castle, and the assembly of allegedly-acceptable IKEA Billy bookcases is ongoing.
I recently assembled Besta bookcases from IKEA. Pretty happy with them despite some assembly issues namely the back panel not fitting and me having to widen the groove for it to fit in.

I still have tons of comics elsewhere but I was recently reunited with these friends. While I can get away with it, they are proudly on display in my work room. Er, our second room.

Beautiful photo by the way, TordelBack.

Banners

Quote from: SuperSurferHope this helps to ease the pain, M@.

Heh, thanks for that. We're doing some free work at the moment, trying to get that "foot in the door" - much against my better judgment. Annoyingly, they're being more fussy than our biggest proper clients(!)

(Gonna have to start a Designer's Woes thread one of these days...)

M@

uncle fester

uncle fester

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 01 October, 2009, 01:48:30 PM
Quote from: Banners on 29 September, 2009, 11:56:12 AM
Thank you for feeling my pain. M@
Graphic Designer vs client
http://www.youtube.com/user/mentaldesigner#play/all/

Hope this helps to ease the pain, M@.

I've saved this and renamed it as "Real life". Officially my favourite video now.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 01 October, 2009, 02:16:40 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 01 October, 2009, 01:47:46 PM
I recently assembled Besta bookcases from IKEA. Pretty happy with them despite some assembly issues namely the back panel not fitting and me having to widen the groove for it to fit in.

I still have tons of comics elsewhere but I was recently reunited with these friends. While I can get away with it, they are proudly on display in my work room. Er, our second room.

Beautiful photo by the way, TordelBack.

Arh my attic eves are full of Ikea shelving (and the comics that so naturally go with them). How I remember the pain of putting together even these simple things!

House of Usher

The demands of my teaching job have made me very tired and have adversely impacted on my performance in two interviews for much better paid jobs this week. Preparing for two job interviews this week has made me even more tired and adversely impacted on my alertness and the preparation time available for my teaching job. So rather than do one or the other exceptionally well, I've ended up doing both badly.

::)
STRIKE !!!

Mike Gloady

Usher, you've encapsulated the demands of the academic perfectly.  Sorry they're weighing heavily on youl.  Hope you get a better job soon.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

TordelBack

I've been editing hard all day to meet a deadline for an important technical report, only to discover that the final section is almost entirely cut and pasted from two different uncredited internet sources, one of which was actually produced by the client to whom I'm supposed to be submitting this in 2 hours time.  Apparently the slight rewording that permitted this hybrid took my colleague (a former teacher) an entire week of work. 

The depressing bit is that the main reason I noticed this is that it was significantly better than anything else in the remainder of the report. 

Friday afternoon is no time for butt-kicking, but boy do I feel so inclined, as I sit down to rewrite 10 pages of plagarism. 

Why do people do it?

Trout

Kick his arse and call him a wanker. There's no excuse for that sort of theft, laziness and unprofessionalism.

- Trout

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: King Trout on 02 October, 2009, 02:36:57 PM
There's no excuse for that sort of theft, laziness and unprofessionalism.

A career in tabloid journalism beckons ...

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Peter Wolf

An entire week of work to cut and paste and plagarise ?

Unbelievable really.

Tell the lazy twat to get his act together fast.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death