Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger Godpleton

He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

COMMANDO FORCES

Damn! Just been informed that the school Christmas Fair is this Wednesday 18:00 - 20:00. How and I gonna get my arse on the chatroom when I have to leave for work at my new time of 21:00. Life is so cruel sometimes ::)

Dandontdare

Just take a laptop along and sit grumpilly by Santa's Grotto typing away!

COMMANDO FORCES

The wife's Take That Circus Live CD arrived today, for Christmas and I have to listen to it tonight at work to make sure it's okay. I just know I'll end up singing along with some songs :-[

House of Usher

Quote from: James S on 30 November, 2009, 04:44:32 PM
People who come to interviews, then decline your job offer as they are going back to university.

That's mental! Depends what the job is I suppose. Last time I went back to university it was because it paid better than the job I was doing at the time, if you can believe it. Ordinarily, wild horses wouldn't drag me there. Again. In the current economic climate it seems like quite a reckless thing to do to choose education over employment. Many of my current GCSE students are only there because they've recently been made redundant, and they're worried about the future.

When students of mine tell me they're getting qualifications because they want to go to university, I worry.
STRIKE !!!

Peter Wolf

Quote from: House of Usher on 01 December, 2009, 11:41:33 PM
Quote from: James S on 30 November, 2009, 04:44:32 PM
People who come to interviews, then decline your job offer as they are going back to university.

That's mental! Depends what the job is I suppose. Last time I went back to university it was because it paid better than the job I was doing at the time, if you can believe it. Ordinarily, wild horses wouldn't drag me there. Again. In the current economic climate it seems like quite a reckless thing to do to choose education over employment. Many of my current GCSE students are only there because they've recently been made redundant, and they're worried about the future.

When students of mine tell me they're getting qualifications because they want to go to university, I worry.

It doesnt seem that reckless to choose education over employment especially if there isnt any employment but  i guess it depends on what subject and course they are choosing to study and wether it was the right choice because if its not then two or three years down the line they will look for employment and find that their qualification or degree is useless so they wont be any better off and in actual fact they will be worse off because of student loans and all the rest.

Anyway i always thought that you had to get qualifications to go to University.

Also i see professional posts advertised that are in my sector of work that require a very high standard of education to degree level and beyond that i cant apply for because i dont have any qualifications or degrees or anything.

These posts pay roughly 25,000 - 30,000 PA which isnt a very good financial return for years and years of study and quite honestly i am glad i never bothered with further education.I dont regret it at all.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Banners

Don't! Put! Images! Into! Word! Before! You! Send! Them! To! Me! Argh!

M@

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Banners on 02 December, 2009, 04:15:30 PM
Don't! Put! Images! Into! Word! Before! You! Send! Them! To! Me! Argh!

What do you mean, there's a charge for the artwork? I already did it for you -- didn't see the file "brochure.xls" ...?

*shudder*

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Noisybast

My girlfriend bought me two tickets to see Monster Magnet. I texted my mate - who I'd already mentioned the gig to - to offer him the spare, and the replied that he'd just bought two tickets to see the New York Dolls on the same night, with the intention of giving me his spare! Gah!
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

House of Usher

Quote from: Peter Wolf on 02 December, 2009, 01:21:47 PM
It doesnt seem that reckless to choose education over employment especially if there isnt any employment

Whoah! Back up there, dude. I said choosing education over employment, not unemployment.

Quotebut  i guess it depends on what subject and course they are choosing to study and wether it was the right choice because if its not then two or three years down the line they will look for employment and find that their qualification or degree is useless so they wont be any better off and in actual fact they will be worse off because of student loans and all the rest.

Yep - that's why it's advisable to do a vocational course rather than an academic one. It rather defeats the point of what a university is and makes it a terrible waste that they changed all the polytechnics to universities in 1992, because every university's a polytechnic now.

QuoteAnyway i always thought that you had to get qualifications to go to University.

Yes, and...? Some of my students are taking GCSEs because they want to go to university. I worry for them because they have been sold a pup, and I worry about what's waiting for them at the end, and what it's going to cost them, not least in terms of what they might be giving up to get a degree just like every other school leaver's.

Quotequite honestly i am glad i never bothered with further education.I dont regret it at all.

Rather makes my argument for me, doesn't it? i.e. university's a reckless gamble if the payoff isn't great and doing a degree means forgoing employment.
STRIKE !!!

TordelBack

QuoteYep - that's why it's advisable to do a vocational course rather than an academic one. It rather defeats the point of what a university is and makes it a terrible waste that they changed all the polytechnics to universities in 1992, because every university's a polytechnic now.

Mmmm-hmmm.  It's this gap in expectations that's the source of much woe.  'University' has become an almost-expected continuation of your school years into your 20's, leaving this huge question mark over where exactly somebody goes if they (a). want to learn practical vocational skills; or (b). want to develop academic chops (of whatever stripe).  Even twenty years ago my crankiest most demanding lecturer used to refer to Freshers as 'Seventh Formers', and he wasn't wrong.  

Ob. minor impediment:  it's 4.50 am and  I can't finish editing this bloody report.  

SuperSurfer

Quote from: TordelBack on 03 December, 2009, 04:50:07 AM
Ob. minor impediment:  it's 4.50 am and  I can't finish editing this bloody report. 
Yup. Minor impediement here too. It's 5.15am and just finished work for the night. G'night.

Colin YNWA

Just failed my driving test. Not in a killed a person way or I'll never do this kinda way but in a ho hum maybe next time. So strangely feeling more confident about my driving.

James Stacey

They say all the best drivers fail at least one test.
Thats what they told me on my 3rd test anyway.

TordelBack

It's a pain, Colin, but If I'd passed my driving test the first time I would have been a very scary driver.  Despite having the mechanics and maneuvering down pat I had no real appreciation of road-sense or the value defensive driving.   In the few months in between first and second time I got a few lessons from a sane driving instructor (a big improvement over the first guy, who used to use me to pick up and deliver groceries to various family members) and actually worked at the important things - how not to kill anyone, mainly.  Best thing that ever happened to me, although I didn't think it at the time.