Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oshii

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 13 January, 2019, 03:05:44 PM
Been awhile since I found a show so in my wheel house I ended up binging the whole series in one sitting. But thats exactly what happened with AMC The Terror

Where did you see it - is it only on BT?  I loved the book.

Tiplodocus

Another vote for DAREDEVIL Season 3. After S2, I'd sworn off Marvel telly for a while (too much, too samey) so missed Ironfist, Defenders, Punisher and possibly second seasons of Jessica Jones and Luke Cage (if those exist).

But this is good stuff. I think it's the supporting character stuff. Fisks motivations are less confused this time and that suits a relentlessly focussed performance from D'Onforio.

And with Bullseye, the conflicted Fed, a good turn from Karen, Joanne Whalley's Nun (there's a phrase I've dreamt about), it all adds up to lots of people in compelling tricky situations.

Foggy is (more accurately, the actor) still a waste of space though.

I don't know enough of the comics to be offended/upset/have nerd rage about Bullseye's origin or the Nun thing but both work within the context of the show I'm watching.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Theblazeuk

I watched all of Travellers in the last few weeks. I really enjoyed what seems to have been a fairly under-the-radar SF show. It's like Bodysnatchers from The Future, but they're good guys. Loved the timey-wimey things and the factional warfare as the timeines change, and quite enjoyed all the main cast as well. It never really reaches heights, but it never sinks low. Since the whole conceit is a literal Deus Ex Machina, I think it struggles with a main plotline - and certainly ends a bit abruptly on something of a loose thread. Still, worth a watch, and I wish they'd leaned more into the horrifically dark concepts they touch on in the first series.

radiator

Barry

It was... alright/watchable enough. Great performance by Bill Hader, but I don't really think it lives up to all the awards recognition it got, and the premise of the series (hitman moves to LA to become an actor) seems a little hack, and kinda like a throwback to the 'relatable hitmen/bumbling gangsters' subgenre of every single indie movie from the mid-late 90s.

Tiplodocus

Yay! THE GOOD PLACE is back.

"But you aren't allowed to pick anyone truly evil. So no serial killers, no dictators, nobody that managed a boy band..."
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Theblazeuk

I enjoy Rick and Morty, but the number of fans who don't understand that Rick is a horrible, horrible person whose genius is only matched by his capacity for self-destruction (and the damage he causes to anyone around him) is a little tragic. Lots of people think he's something to emulate, and ironically (because of course) such people often think they're the only ones who really get R&M. Basically a meme on Reddit to say you like R&M and you are an intellectual.

The Legendary Shark

I don't think any of the characters in R&M are particularly likeable or worthy of emulation, which is one of the reasons I enjoy it so much - that and the wonderfully imaginative essence of the thing.

In other news, I've never watched The Walking Dead but saw the Seasons 1 to 7 box set in a pawn shop for thirty quid and took a punt. I feel a zombiefest coming on... (Also found the complete It Ain't Half Hot, Mum for silly cheap so snaffled that, too. Woo-hoo!)

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Professor Bear

I'm glad I encountered Rick and Morty before I encountered Rick and Morty fandom, because if it was the other way around I don't think I'd have bothered with the show.

pauljholden

Recommend the PATRIOT. SUPERB writing. CIA spy attempts to deliver money to Iran to stop the development of nuclear weapons, but first he has to take on the identity of guy who needs a job at a manufacturer, and it all goes wrong from there.

I's like what-if Jason bourne/James Bond but every single action has consequences that actually play out. And if the CIA was almost utterly incompetent at the most basic things even if the agent is practically superhuman.

(the agent who likes to relieve the ongoing and relentless pressure of work by writing and performing folk songs that are both ignored by everyone around him but actually confess every single thing he does in work)

It's brilliant and on amazon prime.

Dandontdare

Not usually a fan of spy thrillers, but your description intrigues me! may add this to my (already too long) watchlist.

As for Rick'n'Morty it is beyond weird seeing both voices coming out of one man: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rngjaMKN-t4

Theblazeuk

Steven Universe

Yes it's for kids but so what? It's bloody lovely. Imaginative, funny and exploring the complex and often painful emotional range of life in the sweetest, least patronising and most constructive way you could possibly conceive of. And yes that involves giant spaceships shaped like fists, as well as toxic relationships and the damage of secrets and the need to communicate, all in the backdrop of a millenia-spanning war by a group of misfit rebels and their hybrid charge against a rigid alien society that seeks to exploit the Earth for its resources.

I didn't watch for a long time despite knowing it fell in the Adventure Time venn diagram, but boy. So lovely.

Hawkmumbler

Steven Universe is the positive and wholesome content children and adults need right now. I adore it.

Theblazeuk

I want to stress though, it's not just because it's positive and wholesome. It's positive and wholesome whilst still acknowledging and talking about the messy and deeply wounding parts of life. Hell, one long-running sub-plot is about PTSD and how sometimes you just can't help people right now, but if you don't give up then maybe one day you can reach them.

The Legendary Shark

The Punisher, Season Two - The Enpunchening. Nearly thirteen hours of dysfunctional psychopaths knocking lumps out of each other, shooty shootouts, the application of blunt and heavy implements to tender regions and more blood than exists in the whole of New York State.

I enjoyed the Hell out of it!

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]