Main Menu

Judge Dredd: Mega-City One - TV show announced!

Started by Jim_Campbell, 10 May, 2017, 05:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goaty

Here we go again, much same as two years before Dredd 2012 release, kept positive and be happy it got green-lit!

Steve Green

I am saying that there is some fan appeasement in there.

As in nods to fans which didn't really need to be in there.

Anyway, I've got better things to do than argue the toss over definitions.

PsychoGoatee

Quote from: Goaty on 12 May, 2017, 11:09:28 PM
Here we go again, much same as two years before Dredd 2012 release, kept positive and be happy it got green-lit!

I also have goat in my name, and I'm also positive about this!  :cool:

SIP

Quote from: Steve Green on 12 May, 2017, 11:09:45 PM
I am saying that there is some fan appeasement in there.

As in nods to fans which didn't really need to be in there.

Anyway, I've got better things to do than argue the toss over definitions.

Them we certainly have different definition.  Appeasing the fans would indicate changing the film to keep fans happy, not name checking them, which is more fan recognition.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: SIP on 12 May, 2017, 11:01:33 PMI get that Joe, but I don't think that it indicates that the script or the aesthetic of the movie was changed as a result of fan comment. Seriously, the lawmaster design, the modern vehicles etc were savaged on that thread, but  they still appeared in the film unchanged (thankfully).

"I read the 2000AD message boards through pre-production, shooting, and post-production...But I appreciated what I read here immensely, and paid close attention to your hopes and concerns, and found it extremely motivating."

I think that more or less states that there was an influence all through production. Albeit one we were unaware of. To what degree something someone mentioned led to a small adjustment here or there, who knows, but this place did have some effect. Not total appeasement – rightly so – but influence.

The physical bikes came late in production and couldn't be changed anyway because it was too late and they needed to shoot the scenes. Not that a production should, would or could change something they've all ready spent money on because of the opinions of a few fans but the bikes didn't come out as well as the producers hoped for, either.

SIP

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 12 May, 2017, 11:26:18 PM
Quote from: SIP on 12 May, 2017, 11:01:33 PMI get that Joe, but I don't think that it indicates that the script or the aesthetic of the movie was changed as a result of fan comment. Seriously, the lawmaster design, the modern vehicles etc were savaged on that thread, but  they still appeared in the film unchanged (thankfully).

"I read the 2000AD message boards through pre-production, shooting, and post-production...But I appreciated what I read here immensely, and paid close attention to your hopes and concerns, and found it extremely motivating."

I think that more or less states that there was an influence all through production. Albeit one we were unaware of. To what degree something someone mentioned led to a small adjustment here or there, who knows, but this place did have some influence.

The physical bikes came late in production and couldn't be changed anyway because it was too late and they needed to shoot the scenes. Not that a production should, would or could change something they've all ready spent money on because of the opinions of a few fans but the bikes didn't come out as well as the producers hoped for, either.

Fair enough, but reading the original script, looking at the film storyboards and the concept art indicates that if any "tweaks" actually took place, then, they must have been minor as that material faithfully portrays the film that we actually got.

SIP

And to be fair, though it's a nod to the fans, he does mention that it was "motivating" rather than informing any decisions or amendments on what he was making.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 12 May, 2017, 10:20:26 AM
Originally, the eagle was supposed to indicate senior rank and it was decided quite late in the day that only Dredd was going to have one, in order to make him look more individual (rather missing the point... again).

You can actually see that there other judges with eagles at the end of the movie:

Disappointing, Jim – you missed one.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: SIP on 12 May, 2017, 11:36:49 PM
And to be fair, though it's a nod to the fans, he does mention that it was "motivating" rather than informing any decisions or amendments on what he was making.

That depends on what he was 'motivated' to do as a result. ;)

SIP

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 13 May, 2017, 12:00:13 AM
Quote from: SIP on 12 May, 2017, 11:36:49 PM

That depends on what he was 'motivated' to do as a result. ;)

Indeed........will we ever know? 🤔

ABCwarBOT

Quote from: SIP on 12 May, 2017, 10:21:04 PM
I couldn't think of anything worse than comics or films produced to appease the vocal fans.

Tell that to the makers of that awful Thunderbirds film (who ignored the fans and made Spy Kids instead)

Tell that to George Lucas who followed his own nose and produced the medicocre prequels aimed at 5 year olds instead of making something more like Empire Strikes Back which is a fan favourite.   

And of course Dredd was such a success in the cinema's wasn't it. :(   Nobody's saying that everything the fans say has to be taken into consideration or done or is always right........but ignore the fans at your peril.    Sometimes fans do make some good points believe it or not and everyone in this thread is a fan.

ABCwarBOT

Quote from: Art on 12 May, 2017, 10:35:08 PM
If the makers of Dredd listened to fans they would have shut down production shortly after the first bike and uniform images were released.

I don't think anybody would say they'd like it to have been shut down but many people would say they wished they had listened about the bike and uniform.   The Mezco toys Lawmaster is much more along the lines of how it should have looked.   

JOE SOAP

Quote from: ABCwarBOT on 13 May, 2017, 02:13:02 AMI don't think anybody would say they'd like it to have been shut down but many people would say they wished they had listened about the bike and uniform. 

They couldn't change them even if they wanted to – the props were made. They weren't going to shut down production and re-design the things certain fans didn't like. Can't run an expensive production that way.

ABCwarBOT

Quote from: SIP on 12 May, 2017, 10:26:03 PM
The 2012 Dredd film is a film that is entirely faithful and respectful to its source material, it is not an exercise in fan appeasement.

That's debateable.  A lot of it is yes.   I think everyone was pleased it was gritty and not some watered down crap.   Where many people think it was a bit of a let down was said bike, uniform, lack of satire, not futuristic enough and the sparse Mega City.   

Again I like the film but I'd like the series to address all these issues. 

ABCwarBOT

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 13 May, 2017, 02:25:07 AM
Quote from: ABCwarBOT on 13 May, 2017, 02:13:02 AMI don't think anybody would say they'd like it to have been shut down but many people would say they wished they had listened about the bike and uniform. 

They couldn't change them even if they wanted to – the props were made. They weren't going to shut down production and re-design the things certain fans didn't like. Can't run an expensive production that way.

Ok but let's hope the makers of this series at least take the things some fans have been saying into consideration.  I think they've got the opportunity to please just about everyone with this.