Main Menu

Judge Dredd: Mega-City One - TV show announced!

Started by Jim_Campbell, 10 May, 2017, 05:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZenArcade

Wait up SIP,  if they were or are actively thinking of taking on Urban and Thirlby then extremely strong elements of the 12 movie would have to pull through with that.  Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

James Stacey

Basically they say if Urban and Thrilby want the jobs and are able to commit to the jobs the jobs are theirs. After that it just comes down to ascetics really.

The Legendary Shark

I think that's great news. No going "into mourning" for me, it's PaRtY TiMe!!!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

SIP

Quote from: ZenArcade on 17 May, 2017, 03:02:37 PM
Wait up SIP,  if they were or are actively thinking of taking on Urban and Thirlby then extremely strong elements of the 12 movie would have to pull through with that.  Z

I'll have to hope for the best, but using the best elements from 1995 Judge Dredd is not what I was hoping for, the Dredd 2012 tone and city were really exciting and had an amazing oppressive, city on the brink of chaos feel. The city in Judge Dredd 1995 plays more to the light hearted, comedic elements of Dredd which I have less interest in nowadays.

I'm sure it'll be great, but what I have always been excited for is the continuation of Dredd 2012, rather than a new continuity, lighter, Judge Dredd series.

So, not party time for me. But happy for those who wanted a different direction.

Richard

It doesn't sound like it's going to be lighter, they've said it will still be gritty. But one of the criticisms of the 2012 film was that it didn't look futuristic enough, and it sounds like they're going to address that. I'd be happy with a mix of the best elements of both films. Would be great if they kept Karl Urban.

Goaty

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: ZenArcade on 17 May, 2017, 03:02:37 PM

I don't think that follows at all.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

Again I'd reference Buffy TVS and Stargate: both series tweak their parent movies' setup to a greater or lesser degree to allow things to expand without really contradicting the foundations.  The last thing anyone going into writing a hopefully long-running TV series needs is to have their creative hands tied by adhering precisely to what appears in a 95 minute movie (or a 40 year comic strip, for that matter).  It needs to be its own TV format thing.

Also, it strikes me that in a city of 800 million people not every square inch is going to look like the streets (and even sector) around Peach Trees.  You can easily expand the SF crazy and dilute the transit vans without jettisoning the movie-style judge system and megablock grittiness.  Isn't that what we were hoping sequels would do anyway?

The Legendary Shark

Urban should guest occasionally as Fargo or play the original Rico for an episode or two. Best, I think, to move beyond him playing Dredd under the circumstances. He did a great job in the 2012 film but that's over with now so I think it's time to move on.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Spaceghost

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 17 May, 2017, 03:42:39 PM
Urban should guest occasionally as Fargo or play the original Rico for an episode or two. Best, I think, to move beyond him playing Dredd under the circumstances. He did a great job in the 2012 film but that's over with now so I think it's time to move on.

Urban was pretty much the one element of Dredd 2012 that everyone agreed was perfect. If they can get him to reprise the role, they will.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

von Boom

Any word on how many episodes to expect in a series/season?

IndigoPrime

Standard online tellyboxing these days is, what, 10 or 13, depending on the network? (Well, aside from some terrestrial British stuff, which goes for movie-like threes, or short-run sixes.)

Steve Green

I think they mention 13 hours a season in the podcast.

Of course that could change.

A.Cow

Quote from: dweezil2 on 17 May, 2017, 09:43:46 AM
Quote from: SIP on 17 May, 2017, 09:39:08 AM
Quote : ABCWARBOT:
"I still know a lot about Dredd and that the character is still pretty much the same as when he started"
Isn't this the person who's only read a few stories since the 70's?

That's inaccurate to the original poster and unfair: you don't need to have read many Batman or Spider-man comics in the last 30 years to have a good idea of what those characters are about.