Main Menu

Judge Dredd: Mega-City One - TV show announced!

Started by Jim_Campbell, 10 May, 2017, 05:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: Richard on 24 June, 2017, 07:16:16 PM
Karl's performance was flawless!

Even though it took me a couple of viewings to truly warm to DREDD, Karl's performance was the one thing I absolutely did love when I first saw it. Any issues I had with his portrayal were in the writing (I seem to recall there being two scenes I grumbled at but can only remember the headbutt being particularly contentious).
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Eric Plumrose on 24 June, 2017, 08:09:36 PM

Even though it took me a couple of viewings to truly warm to DREDD, Karl's performance was the one thing I absolutely did love when I first saw it. Any issues I had with his portrayal were in the writing (I seem to recall there being two scenes I grumbled at but can only remember the headbutt being particularly contentious).

I dislike the final forced Slo-Mo dose. It seems unnecessarily sadistic. It strikes me that it would have worked better if Ma-Ma had defiantly dosed herself -- confronted with her imminent death, she chose to extend her final moments as a means postponing death, if only for a few perceptually-stretched seconds. The same cinematic effect could have been achieved in a way that made sense for her character and didn't introduce a forced character-beat to Dredd.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

The Legendary Shark

I'm minded to agree with Jim on Dredd's force-feeding of slo-mo to Ma Ma. He'd just execute her, no frills or faffing about.

The other Dredd point I didn't like was stunning the juve - he'd have shot the kid's hand off. Again, no frills or faffing about.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Colin YNWA

Wasn't there a view that it was done to slow her heart beat o the pulse thingies kept going and she didn't blow everything up? Having watched it again the other day there's little to support that reading but I've heard it said (typed) here. Not sure what was included in the script...

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 25 June, 2017, 08:49:45 AM
Wasn't there a view that it was done to slow her heart beat o the pulse thingies kept going and she didn't blow everything up? Having watched it again the other day there's little to support that reading but I've heard it said (typed) here. Not sure what was included in the script...

That's my understanding; to keep her alive until she hits the bottom.
Lock up your spoons!

The Legendary Shark

Hmm, interesting point but would it really make a difference? The fall wouldn't last very long in real time, whether she was slo-moed or not, so even if she had a fear-induced heart attack half way down (surely more likely on slo-mo anyway with the effect of the drug on the body coupled with more time (subjectively) to fall into a heart-stopping terror) her transmitter wouldn't send its signal until she was very close to the splatterpoint anyway...
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

NapalmKev

I thought it was mentioned in the film that the signal wouldn't pass all the way to the top* because of the amount of floors blocking the signal.

Cheers

*even though there is a massive gap leading all the way to the top of the tower. I may be misremembering.
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

sheridan

Quote from: NapalmKev on 25 June, 2017, 12:38:55 PM
I thought it was mentioned in the film that the signal wouldn't pass all the way to the top* because of the amount of floors blocking the signal.

Cheers

*even though there is a massive gap leading all the way to the top of the tower. I may be misremembering.

I thought it was simply the distance between the bottom of the central shaft and the top, not anything blocking the signal.

JOE SOAP

"think that signal can get through 200 floors of concrete? let's find out".

Rusty

Also consider that Dredd didn't really force MaMa to inhale the drug. He asks her "How do you plead?" and then she inhales it purposefully knowing that Dredd was about to execute her regardless. "Defense noted." Inhaling the Slo-mo would also prevent MaMa from removing the bracelet from her arm on the way down to trigger the bombs. By the time she thought of that, she'd have splatted already.

The Legendary Shark

Wouldn't the slo-mo give her more subjective time to think of pulling the transmitter off?
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Steven Denton

I've never understood how throwing Mama out the window helps. if her pulse stops (either via death or dead signal) surely the bomb goes off? if not Dredd could just walk her out the door.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Steven Denton on 28 June, 2017, 11:00:45 AM
I've never understood how throwing Mama out the window helps. if her pulse stops (either via death or dead signal) surely the bomb goes off? if not Dredd could just walk her out the door.

It's an active trigger, i.e.: the bomb goes off when it gets a definite signal that she's dead, not a passive one that goes off when it stops getting a continuous signal that she's alive.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.