Main Menu

2000AD Original Art Thread

Started by J3D1, 16 May, 2010, 08:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

annihilate

So this is an original page I bought from Barry Kitson at a comic convention in Seattle in 2009.

I brought an old Judge Anderson oversized graphic novel for him to sign, and we started talking about 2000 AD. He then showed me some original pages he had for sale (which I really hadn't anticipated) and they were of fantastic quality (and price) and I was more than thrilled to pick this page up. Thinking I was smart, I happily agreed to pay full price under the condition he did "a quick doodle" in my sketch book that I had been getting many comic artists to draw in. He being busy at the time, he asked if I could leave my sketch book with him overnight and pick it up the next day. What I hadn't realized at the time was that if you buy an original page from Barry, he gives you a free sketch anyway. So much for my bargaining skills. Anyway, the next day I picked up my book and was absolutely stunned at what he did.

Ladies and gentlemen, Mr. Barry Kitson:

For comparison, this "quick doodle" was done by Jimmy Palmiotti (who inked some of the DC Judge Dredd comics) and this is the norm of what you get from comic artists at conventions for free. Which are great, don't get me wrong, the point being Barry really went all out with his "quick doodle" for me.

The sketch Barry did for me really is probably my most prized piece of Judge Dredd memorabilia, followed closely by the original comic page drawn by him. If I start going to conventions again, I will absolutely try to commission an original piece from an artist (one hopefully from Barry) or try to buy more original pages. 

opaque

That is one hell of a sketch :)

Curare storyline for the actual artwork? I loved that one.

Skullmo

That sketch is amazing!!! I love the detail.

The Barry Kitson sketch is good too  :D
It's a joke. I was joking.

COMMANDO FORCES

Lovely stuff on this thread. Keep it coming guys & gals  :thumbsup:

nicklarr

I'm really impressed with all the stuff on this thread! Real classic stuff from all the masters to present day.

I can see why you get hooked on these, they're true works of art where you actually can see the depth, lines and details - pieces of eternal enjoyment!

I picked up this Ron Smith page way back for about £30, it's the only original art I own as I've realised it's a good way to spend money fast!  :lol:
(Wish I'd bought some more back then though)

Ron Smith is one of my fave-artists on Dredd, seeing the art up close makes you understand what a master he is. It's a fun page to watch too I think, a little short story on its own  :)

hippynumber1

I love that little frog fella!  :lol:

Skullmo

It's a joke. I was joking.

Cpt Rhodes

A Judge Child quest page, lovely. One of my favourite early Dredd epics.
I'd love to get a page from that story at some point.

Mikey

Lovely pages anihilate and nicklarr. I'd forgotten how bloody good Barry Kitson was.

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

hippynumber1

Another beautiful Simon Harrison page...

Cpt Rhodes

I have two cover art originals both by Carlos.
Strontium Dog.

And this one from the classic Apocalypse war.

hippynumber1

That Stront page is a beauty! Is it just me though or has Durham's head been redrawn/stuck on/edited?

nicklarr

Wow! That Apocalyspe War cover is great!
One of the rare moments we see the Cyclops laser in action! PZZOOO!   :lol:

Would love to have a page of the Apoc War story!

opaque

Carlos Apocalypse War is my No1 desire :p

annihilate

Hahahaha Ron Reagan! Haha yessssss!