Main Menu

Off topic threads

Started by Wake, 10 February, 2005, 08:04:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wake

As an experiment, I'm edited the message index so that off topic threads appear in a separate section. What do people think?

Wake

Wils

Surely this will only work if thread starters actually mark them as off topic, though? Loads of them end up just get labelled 'General'.

opaque

Interesting.
Should mean you don't miss threads (either on or off topic) so easily as they won't be on a previous page from others nudging them down.

Wake

If an off-topic thread appears as 'general' then I could edit the database to relabel the thread.

WoD

interesting indeed...this will show (or should show) how the thread distibution is split....

Leigh S

Im not a great fan of offtopic, but maybe a link at the top to point you straight down, rather than scrolling?

Dunk!

Nah, unwarranted. If it aint broke.
"Trust we"

Dan Kelly

Hmm, not sure.

There some stuff down there that I'm interested in reading, but don't want to scroll down for...

I know this would be more work, but would it not be better to have each "Section" as a page to itself, with a "Master" page giving a list of latest posts?

Each registered user could then decide which sections to have on their Master page...

You could even exclude Offtopic from the default master to encourage non-registerd users...

Dan
(who likes offtopic conversations)

Banners

I don't like it - sorry.

I just flick to the board to give my mind a break from work or whilst waiting for the PC do to something. Just a quick glance tells me if there's anything new or not and then i can either look at that thread or go back to what I'm supposed to be doing.

With two sections one has to scroll, which isn't the end of the world, but is a bit of a pain.

M@

Oddboy

Should be good.

But what about threads that swing wildly on and off topic?

Suppose they should just stick where they start out, I guess.
Better set your phaser to stun.

Dan Kelly

Actually scrap most of that - just realised that most of what I say can be done from the drop down...

Show's how much I use it ;)

So really it's just the idea of how you navigate the sections, and whether you can edit your summary choices...

Dan

Smiley

Let's give it a week and see what happens.

Carlsborg Expert.

There are some amasing oof-topic threads tho.

Jareds ultimate link

Woolies art thread

Infact

The comics search.

E-bay originals.

T-shirts.

By the way I swing both ways, No Wils, Bears, I mean on and off topic.

Maybe it will sleuce my addiction to the site if it is around the houses tho.

IndigoPrime

Pretty poor usability here. Most people won't even known about the OT table. If you do want to split the list, you really need to have either much shorter tables, or two separate pages. If the primary page is to be the "main" message board, there needs to be a link to "off topic" at the top of the main page.

Personally, I was happy the way it was?splitting forums apart usually leads to fewer people using them, because it's more hassle to check >1 forum than it is to check just one.

Quirkafleeg