Main Menu

The Black Dog Thread

Started by Grugz, 02 January, 2016, 09:54:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jade Falcon

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 24 March, 2024, 08:47:32 PMI was trying to imagine something a little more constructive than homicidal thoughts. Swapping obviously wouldn't be the ideal solution but it's a possibility that would at the very least alleviate your current situation. If you can't talk to the guy and come to some other understanding between you then you're going to have to think of something else. Maybe buy him a pair of big, fluffy slippers or a strip of thick carpet for him to pace on - try to get him to recognise your needs by recognising his.

Sorry to sound snippy earlier, I realise you're trying to help, but its hard to think rational in this situation.  I've had three complaints put in about him and he's still like this, so its making me think its not even accidental, its malicious and frankly I don't see why I should move or put myself out and the scumbags are the ones that get away.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

Hawkmumbler

Maybe not the optimal solution (and where not for your clear distress most would consider an extreme solution) but have you considered adding acoustic foam panels to your ceiling? The same kind used in studio recording, they're designed to keep external noise from intruding during recording so if you get the right sort they could do the trick at least for now?
You don't even have to go crazy and go corner to corner, there's specific models you can get that function as sound sinks.
Place a section in the most offending of areas and that could dampen most of the noise, maybe? Please note, I'm absolutely no expert in any of this, it just occurred to me that if these work well enough in an semi-industrial setting for dividing walls maybe they would work to dampen noise leaks from upstairs neighbours. Maybe this is all bollocks and I've wasted your time by having you read this, but any idea seems better than homicidal thoughts

M.I.K.

Quote from: Jade Falcon on 25 March, 2024, 03:05:17 PMI've had three complaints put in about him and he's still like this, so its making me think its not even accidental,

If it's genuinely stress that causing him to pace, it's likely not only that he can't help doing it, but that any confrontations or attempts to get him to stop could make him even more stressed, leading to him doing it all the more.

It's the same counterproductive principal as smacking a child to get them to stop crying. It just makes things worse.

But aye, I'd probably be looking into some kind of soundproofing, like Hawkmumbler suggests.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]