Main Menu

Alan Moore's Shorts

Started by Tombo, 28 October, 2013, 10:48:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tombo

Now that I've implanted that particular mental image in your heads ( :P) I should point out I'm talking about the various short stories that he's wrote for 2000AD - Future Shocks, Time Twisters and the like.  Basically I was wondering what's everyone's favourite short story by the Bearded One (or rather their second favourite since Chrono Cops is going to be everyone's favourite).

For me it's "Ring Road" (Prog 320).  A truly creepy story about a girl who escapes from a detention centre, kills the first old biddie who stops for her and starts driving, and driving, and driving until eventually she sees a poor, hungry looking young girl hitchhiking outside of a detention centre.

Jo-L

I was thinking Chrono-Cops before I finished reading the rules for your game.  Ring-Road was also a memorable one.  there's a silly wordless one about a robot pigeon that I always thought was clever.  I think the first D.R. & Quinch was just a one-off Future Shock at first.  It's fairly self contained, and I always wondered if he actually intended to carry it on past that first episode.

pauljholden

Reread Ring Road the other day too. It was great. He's very good that Jesus Redondo...

One of the stories that most haunted me was the time machine, about a guy whose life is ruined because of his pursuit of building a time machine, and the final chilling ending.

(Though I also always had a soft spot for sideways scuttleton too...)

TordelBack

Top 3: The Time Machine, The Reversible Man, Ring Road, in that order.  All very sad, very haunting.

Mabs

Grud, Ring Road sounds bloody scary! that's it, Alan Moore's Futureshocks will be my next purchase!
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Skullmo

The disturbed digestions of doctor dibworthy - I love that story so much I wrote it out almost word for word in school when when had to do a story at age 10.

I got a C. Clearly the teacher wasn't an Alan Moore fan.
It's a joke. I was joking.

WhizzBang

I like the one about the supervillain university, and also the one that is a piss take of the Superman origin story.

13school

I couldn't actually say it's my favourite, but the one where they secretly load all the werewolves into a spaceship and sent them off into outer space always sticks in my head for some reason. As does the one about the alien idea that sticks in everyone's head.

Greg M.

'The English / Phlondrutian Phrasebook'. One of the many moments when Moore goes a bit Douglas Adams. Probably my favourite as much for the spectacularly characterful Brendan McCarthy art as anything - I love the perpetually unimpressed look on the faces of the Phlondrutians. And another vote for 'The Wages of Sin'.

Colin YNWA

I'm going to utterly embarrass myself here and I'm just trying to throw something different in the mix BUT with the help of Barney I'll go for The Hyper-Historic Headbang... I need to read it again but the moment I saw the thread images from that came straight into my head and so its the one that's lodged in there... it might be rubbish though ...

Lobo Baggins

The Time Machine, without question - I vividly recall reading it over and over again and being kept awake at night thinking about it.  It was a month after my ninth birthday, sitting on a bench in the school playground, Shiny Shiny by Haysi Fantayzee is reduced to a growling, distorted slur as someone nearby is trying to show off their new 'Walkman' device even though the batteries have almost run out, someone else is adamantly maintaining that it's really, really gay to like Haysi Fantayzee as they appear to have mistaken Kate Garner for Boy George and cannot be told otherwise, I'd left the Time Twister until last because... well, Cry of the Werewolf, part three, and you're not going to read a Time Twister before Cry of the Werewolf episode three and Cry of the Werewolf was officially The Best Thing Ever.

But this five page little fill-in strip was better.  Truly, it was a good time to be a Squaxx...

"...and he didn't realise how much he'd miss her until she wasn't there."

Also, the Reversible Man.

"I never saw her again."  Haunting.

Plus, I've noticed that Moore's 'Eureka!' Future Shock, the one with the alien that's just an idea, has become reality.  See, you followers of Breaking Bad, that's you, that is...  all this 'you've GOT to watch Breaking Bad! Breaking Bad is the best thing ever!' even though you refuse to tell anybody what it's about because of SPOILERS!, you're sounding exactly like those astronauts who've heard The Idea...

Alan Moore warned us!  He warned us!
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: TordelBack on 28 October, 2013, 11:06:55 PM
Top 3: The Time Machine, The Reversible Man, Ring Road, in that order.  All very sad, very haunting.

Snap.  The Time Machine was indeed a truly sad and unforgettable story, and there was a great message for the kids there too:  [spoiler]Suicide is brilliant.[/spoiler]
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Leigh S

Time Machine is exceptional, though when so many named it, Eureka came to mind, but thats gone as well! :)

The great thing about Eureka is that the secret is almost certainly Moores fourth dimensional solid theory (well not Moores, but the theory he believes in,which I have to say makes the most sense to me too), which makes a great idea genius... Once you believe in the fourth dimensional solid theory, it does make you look at the world a hell of a lot differently!

morpheas

Quote from: Leigh S on 29 October, 2013, 11:02:09 AM
...fourth dimensional solid theory...

Ehm... Could you provide more information on that please?

Jo-L

Quote from: zoecho on 29 October, 2013, 03:15:32 PM
Quote from: Leigh S on 29 October, 2013, 11:02:09 AM
...fourth dimensional solid theory...

Ehm... Could you provide more information on that please?

Yeah... sounds fascinating.   :o