Main Menu

Strip Magazine # 1

Started by Spaceghost, 01 November, 2011, 02:07:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flip-r mk2

Don't know when I'd get to a comic shop, so I've ordered a copy online.

filip
It's all right, that's in every contract.
That's what they call a sanity clause.
You can't fool me, there ain't no sanity clause.

http://flip-r.deviantart.com/

http://forflipssake.blogspot.com

http://weeklythemedartblog.blogspot.com/

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana

Zarjazzer

My local comic shop claimed they had it on order but no sign so I got system to use his magic powers and go online.

Many thanks to all those that have bought a copy so far. I hope you liked it and if you didn't like our bit then    there's still plenty else in Strip to hold your interest.

Now if you could get 20,000 of your friends to buy one as well... ;)
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

I, Cosh

Bought one tonight. Thought it was pretty good. Certainly a better and more inspiring package than Clint. Might give it a to a small boy tomorrow.

As to individual strips, Warpaint is definitely the standout. It's the one that hits exactly the right balance of action and intrigue with really nice chunky art from John McCrea. Sadly lacking the loony colours his last 2000AD jobs had though.

Slightly confused over some of the content though. The stories read as though they're written for a younger audience but I can't see the articles being of any interest to them. Long article about publishers, MPs and assorted boring old men to accompany Hookjaw? Surely a few pages about how awesome sharks are, accompanied with gruesome pictures of people who've been bitten, would be far more entertaining.

Reservations. It's the eternal Meg debate all over again, but is six pages of story once a month enough to hold the attention? They really need to do something about proofreading.

Hope it manages to find an audience. I will probably buy the next just for Warpaint.
We never really die.

SmallBlueThing

Having now read it, i'll definitely be back for Age of Heroes, Hookjaw and Warpaint, with everything else showing promise. Black Ops reminds me of that videogame strip from the prog a decade or so ago, drawn by mick austin, in that it reads like an 'adult' strip that's been 'adapted' for a younger audience. In the prog thing (the name of which escapes me at present) this was a comedic selling point (at least for me, i liked it) but here it seems to be stopping it reach its potential. That said, it's the first part, and it engaged me enough to come on the internets and babble about it, so...

The text features were interesting to me, as a 41 year old comic-reader, but im not the intended audience. But lets be honest here, being sold in comic shops only, Strip is going to be bought predominantly by the likes of us here, and i very much doubt kids unrelated to dads who buy comics are ever going to see a copy.

It didnt read at all like a comic for kids. From the editorial onwards it's a middleaged nostalgic longing for comics past, using the cover terminology of the ipc juvenile group to sell contemporary strips to aged readers. That's not meant to be a damning criticism by the way, merely a mild one. Im pleased i have another comic to enjoy, but am mildly upset it's not the comic i wanted to blow my children's minds.

SBT

Edit: oh, and mine fell apart. The staples dont hold a thick sixty eight page comic printed on heavy, shiny paper together. But how do they manage that volume for £2.99? It's great value.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I picked this up on a whim, wasn't planning to but there ye go.
I have to say I was mightily impressed. Not every story was my cup of tea, but I think the key word is exuberance. There's fun on every page. I enjoyed Hookjaw most of all.

The long and the short of it is, I'll be picking up issue 2. Which is more than could be said for Clint.
You may quote me on that.

Proudhuff

Quote from: The Cosh on 03 November, 2011, 09:54:55 PM
Might give it a to a small boy tomorrow.

The Met has been informed hand yourself into the nearest police station.
DDT did a job on me

bluemeanie

Heading into Cardiff today so hoping to pick up a copy.
Was gonna get it digital but its the same as print so cant bring myself to do it unless its a last resort

Fingers crossed I'll track down a copy

Colin YNWA

Well convenient circumstance meant we drove past my LCS this morning so my wife kindly dropped me off and I popped in so I could pick up 'Strip'. First thing that struck me it looked like a fine product for the price, nice weight in ya mitts and a lot of content. Okay so its a bit floppy but looks great.

Of more import the content is really encouraging. For me the standouts were Recovery Incorporated, Warpaint and can't tell you how great Hookjaw looked and how much fun it was. Also have to say I really enjoyed the one page strips too. Black Ops and Ex-Agent are a bit muh at the moment not really offering anything too interesting yet. Age of Heroes on the other hand feels a bit of a tease and while whats there is nicely done it doesn't really get going. One to watch. Overall though the Strip content was pretty damned good and certainly met my expectations.

The articles are a bit weird. As SBT said not sure how interesting they'd be for younger readers (could of course be completely off the mark there) but a bit light for me as an older comic reader. not bad just not sure who their aimed at?

Overall street ahead of to other new(ish) British release Clint and very close to the product I hope it would be. Defo in for the next few. If I had more confidence in its longevity I'd be getting a sub for this one.

Eric Plumrose

Quote from:  STRIP MagazineForbidden Planet stocks a good range of British comics - which one sells the most?

Quote from: Jon HarrisonThe Mighty Tharg remains mighty but is currently running neck and neck with CLiNT.

Quaequam Blag!
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

Dandontdare

Bah! Travelling Man sold out and I missed the last copy in Forbidden Planet by minutes apparently.

Batman's Superior Cousin

More importantly, will the second issue be available in WH Smith's?
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Dandontdare on 05 November, 2011, 08:04:32 PM
Bah! Travelling Man sold out and I missed the last copy in Forbidden Planet by minutes apparently.

Well at least that means is shifting whatever's out there.

bluemeanie

Had zero luck trawling Cardiff comic shops today   :(

COMMANDO FORCES

You lot need to move closer to civilization  :lol:

CrazyFoxMachine

Picked it up today in Bristol Forbidden Planet - here it is on the shelves!

Great issue, lots of action - a few too many adverts for other Print Media products maybe - but it was awesome to see Hook Jaw, Holden, Iron Moon RIDGWAY an lovely colourings of Caldwell and Elder. Fantastic to see so much Campbell quality lettering throughout as well - although in this regard Ex-Agent was a massive letdown. All-in-all a very solid start and well-worth the wait - I'll be seeking out Issue 2. NO QUESTIONS ASKED.