Main Menu

LoEG: Century 2009

Started by SmallBlueThing, 19 June, 2012, 09:56:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmallBlueThing

Didn't think this was supposed to be out yet, but there's loads in my Waterstones. Nice, vibrant artwork by Mr O'Neill, whose recent work on this series I've not been enjoying as much as I used to, I'm sorry to say. However, a flick through in the shop gave me the impression this one is a bit extra-special.

I didn't pick it up, as I felt burned by the last few, so I'll eventually grab it from Ebay or Amazon for less than the £7.99 cover price. But, you know, it's out there waiting to be read.

SBT

exilewood

This is good news indeed. You felt "burned" by the recent volumes? Not as good as The Walking Dead, huh?

SmallBlueThing

Quote from: exilewood on 19 June, 2012, 10:03:05 PM
This is good news indeed. You felt "burned" by the recent volumes? Not as good as The Walking Dead, huh?

Frankly, no.

SBT

TordelBack

This is great news - I can't wait to read these all together!  There aren't many comics that could have made Brecht & Weil a permanent feature on my MP3 player.

JOE SOAP

Antidote to the anti-climax, anti-story BEFORE -they were good- WATCHMEN ordered off ebay.

Frank

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 19 June, 2012, 11:22:59 PM
Antidote to the anti-climax, anti-story BEFORE -they were good- WATCHMEN ordered off ebay.

I was going to wait until all these were collected in one volume, but fuck it- I'll have to read all your posts about this anyway, might as well read it myself.

The Adventurer

You got copies in the UK already? Nice. I was hearing that UK might get them before the US. Hopefully we'll see it in early July. I'm really looking forward too it.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Daveycandlish

I've fallen out of love with Alan Moore's recent work. I really enjoyed the first two books of LOEG but found The Black Dossier hard going. I bought the first two parts of Century in the hope things would improve; they didn't. This final part is an improvement on those but won't mean a damned thing to you if you haven't read them - too many ongoing threads. I find Moore's obsession with all things sexual frustrating  - surely a man of his years shouldn't have the mindset of  a randy teenager? But when the Anti-Christ  gets his cock out to kill a character I just thought "for God's sake man. Here we go again". O'Neill's  art suited the Victorian books but I'm not so keen on his style for these books. Overall, a frustrating read. Perhaps it will work better as a collection, but I won't be buying it.
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

JamesC

I've got a copy pre-ordered at Amazon but it hasn't been sent out yet. Hope I get it before the weekend!

radiator

QuoteI've fallen out of love with Alan Moore's recent work. I really enjoyed the first two books of LOEG but found The Black Dossier hard going. I bought the first two parts of Century in the hope things would improve; they didn't. This final part is an improvement on those but won't mean a damned thing to you if you haven't read them - too many ongoing threads. I find Moore's obsession with all things sexual frustrating  - surely a man of his years shouldn't have the mindset of  a randy teenager? But when the Anti-Christ  gets his cock out to kill a character I just thought "for God's sake man. Here we go again". O'Neill's  art suited the Victorian books but I'm not so keen on his style for these books. Overall, a frustrating read. Perhaps it will work better as a collection, but I won't be buying it.

Yep - I have to agree.

I've bought all the League books so far, but won't be buying this one. I really struggled to finish 1969.

bluemeanie

Well I would get it but...

If people do want to go out and buy these Watchmen prequels, they would be doing me an enormous favor if they would just stop buying my other books

Ok Al, whatever you say mate.
Actually, only kidding. I wouldn't buy this anyway based on the fact the last two were just bad. And as others have said, his dirty old man routine is getting more than a little creepy.

That said, as I did love the first two volumes, if everyone says this new one is a return to form then I'll probably cave. Will be surprised if thats the case though. More likely if its set in 2009 then it'll just be about a thinly disguised version of the girl from Twighlight getting groped

Link Prime

Quote from: bluemeanie on 20 June, 2012, 02:41:21 PM
More likely if its set in 2009 then it'll just be about a thinly disguised version of the girl from Twighlight getting groped

And why wouldnt you wanna pick that up???

I thought the last two Century books werent the best either, but will get this as the completion fanatic that I am.
Love O'Neill's stuff regardless.

The Adventurer

All this 'Allan Moore's dirty old man routine' is just ridiculous to me. Or did everyone forget Pollyanna getting raped in the first series, or Griffen getting sodomized by Hyde in the second? Sexual assault has been a regular recurring theme in LOEG since the beginning. Nothing has changed.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

radiator

LOEG - even the first two series - is a relatively recent Moore work.

Frank

Quote from: Link Prime on 20 June, 2012, 03:41:58 PM
I thought the last two Century books werent the best either, but will get this as the completion fanatic that I am. Love O'Neill's stuff regardless.

O'Neils art has seen me through a few disappointing narratives. Regarding Moore's sexual awakening, the Rosetta Stone that helps you decipher that Sphinx-like riddle would be his remark that "there was me, there was my wife and there was our girlfriend and we were all kind of living together quite openly as a different sort of relationship".

Once you've pulled off something as unlikely as that, I can see why it's difficult not to give complete license to the production of the most outlandish fantasies of which your rampant libido is capable- in the expectation that they too may one day be made real. I'm not sure how much of that I want to read, though; I consider myself a fan of Moore's work, and I still haven't picked up Lost Girls.