Main Menu

Anti-Gay Writer To Pen Superman

Started by Little_Tengu, 14 February, 2013, 08:03:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

For me, the issue here is less about Card and more about DC.

Card's opinions are vile, bigoted and fringe-extremist. He says, for example, that 'many' gay people are made gay as the result of rape, molestation or 'disturbing seduction' and spend the rest of their lives wishing to be made un-gay (in the same article, he suggests that if gay people want the legal rights afforded by marriage then they should just marry a person of the opposite sex and pretend to be straight).

Card has translated his status as an author into creating an audience for his political views; these are not privately held views, he has created the link between his beliefs and his work and it is entirely fair to judge one in terms of the other.

My issue with him landing the Superman gig is this: if Card held and publicly voiced* similarly intolerant opinions about black or Jewish people, he simply would not have got the job. No question. DC's decision sends a message that intolerance of gay people is somehow less bad than racism or antisemitism.

It's not, and that's what DC needs to recognise.

Jim

*At the end of the day, many people are bigots in their own heads. If we're honest, we all are to some degree. It's natural to fear the different -- it's what we choose to do with those fears that matters.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

radiator

Professor Bear

I was thinking about how best to make my feelings known on this matter, but they're all pretty ineffectual, really.  Best I could come up with was to try to convince people to buy a rival comic book on the day of release of the Superman issues* - some low-tier Marvel or Image book with a gay main character, preferably - or to try and make drawings of Superman kissing dudes** trend on Twitter.  We can do something positive with this or wallow in the ill feeling this jerk and/or his followers has produced and will likely use as a rallying point for his extreme views by playing Card as a martyr rather than a bully.

* A game to play when these issues hit is if Superman punches a woman, you take a drink.  If Superman seems uncomfortable around a coloured person, you take a drink.  If Superman marries Supergirl, you take a drink.  If Superman marries Supergirl, then Lois, then Wonder Woman, you take a drink.
** Not in a sexual way, just kissing dudes because he's Superman.

TordelBack

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 15 February, 2013, 08:32:18 AM*At the end of the day, many people are bigots in their own heads. If we're honest, we all are to some degree.

Typical bloody letterer, those guys give me the creeps.  If the good Lord had wanted people to fiddle with each others' kerning, he'd have given us all Macs.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: TordelBack on 15 February, 2013, 10:40:00 AM
Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 15 February, 2013, 08:32:18 AM*At the end of the day, many people are bigots in their own heads. If we're honest, we all are to some degree.

Typical bloody letterer, those guys give me the creeps.  If the good Lord had wanted people to fiddle with each others' kerning, he'd have given us all Macs.

True.  God made Adam and Eve, not Arial and Steve.  Potter.
Or something.  I'll level with you, I haven't thought this one through.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 15 February, 2013, 08:32:18 AMif Card held and publicly voiced* similarly intolerant opinions about black or Jewish people, he simply would not have got the job. No question. DC's decision sends a message that intolerance of gay people is somehow less bad than racism or antisemitism.
*applause*

This is exactly right, and it shows how far we as a society have to go regarding equality.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 15 February, 2013, 11:37:21 AM
Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 15 February, 2013, 08:32:18 AMif Card held and publicly voiced* similarly intolerant opinions about black or Jewish people, he simply would not have got the job. No question. DC's decision sends a message that intolerance of gay people is somehow less bad than racism or antisemitism.
*applause*

This is exactly right, and it shows how far we as a society have to go regarding equality.

Yep.  Still have a bit to go though; in that anti-gay sentiments aren't considered as bigoted as racists.   And having lived briefly in China and known gay people there, it seems that the most populous country in the world has a verrry long way to go.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Prodigal

I'm involved work-wise in anti-prejudice work and while the greater part of my time has been involved in Norn Iron's sectarian divide I have also been involved in anti-homophobic work. I agree there is still a lot of work to be done but as an old fart i am also encouraged by what i often observe as a youth worker where young people are concerned. A person's sexuality is often regarded as a non issue among young 'uns, a situation that I contrast with my own teenage memories of anyone even suspected of being gay when the roof of the world threatened to cave in.

Trout

I understand what people might say about separating a person and their work, but when it's a writer you can never tell if he's going to sneak in some crazy, offensive opinion.

I'm very disappointed that DC have hired him and I won't be buying this title.

- Trout

Professor Bear

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 15 February, 2013, 11:10:26 AMTrue.  God made Adam and Eve, not Arial and Steve.

I have always wondered why someone doesn't just print a Bible with the name "Eve" replaced with the word "Steve" and then when someone says "in the Bible it says Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve" you can just say "well, actually..."
This is not just me being flippant, either, because the more I think of it, the more I think this is an actual, legitimate argument, as intolerant Christians are working from their own version of the Bible anyway - no reason people who don't have a problem with gayness can't have one of their own, too.

JamesC

Maybe they'd be better off just growing the fuck up and realising that 'Adam and Eve' didn't exist.

DC have really blundered with this one. The fact that he's writing Superman just makes it even more pronounced - I mean if there's one character that's supposed to symbolise what's great and good it's Superman.

Proudhuff

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 15 February, 2013, 08:32:18 AM

Card's opinions are vile, bigoted and fringe-extremist. He says, for example, that 'many' gay people are made gay as the result of rape, molestation or 'disturbing seduction' and spend the rest of their lives wishing to be made un-gay (in the same article, he suggests that if gay people want the legal rights afforded by marriage then they should just marry a person of the opposite sex and pretend to be straight).

Card has translated his status as an author into creating an audience for his political views; these are not privately held views, he has created the link between his beliefs and his work and it is entirely fair to judge one in terms of the other.

My issue with him landing the Superman gig is this: if Card held and publicly voiced* similarly intolerant opinions about black or Jewish people, he simply would not have got the job. No question. DC's decision sends a message that intolerance of gay people is somehow less bad than racism or antisemitism.

Jim

*At the end of the day, many people are bigots in their own heads. If we're honest, we all are to some degree. It's natural to fear the different -- it's what we choose to do with those fears that matters.

Everything Jim said and as for the bible:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWuXpfXSl5Y
DDT did a job on me

TordelBack

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 15 February, 2013, 11:46:45 AM...anti-gay sentiments aren't considered as bigoted as racists. 

Interesting what you observe about China, Jayzus.  I was about to suggest that the reason for the above is because God seems to have given homophobia his personal seal of approval through the wingnut interpreters of many of His diverse and antagonistic screeds - but obviously the Abramic crowd barely have a foothold there.  Cad é an scéal with Shenism and all that?

JayzusB.Christ

QuoteCad é an scéal with Shenism and all that?

Not really sure, to be honest.  I lived there for less than three months but was friends with a Swedish guy who had a Chinese boyfriend.  Apparently this was a very closely guarded secret - every time my mate visited it was under the guise of the 'best friend'.  According to him, homosexuality is considered non-existent over there. 

Modern dictatorships don't have a good history of tolerance and acceptance, I suppose, and there's also the issue of bloodline - It seems to be very, very important to the normal Chinese family that the (father's) bloodline and name are passed on, and gay chaps don't really stand a good chance of doing that.  In any case, I had just finished a long tour of Thailand, where things are very, very different, as you've probably seen or heard.

EDIT:  By the way I've heard quite a few less-than-pleasant comments about black people from Chinese people too. 

QuoteI'm involved work-wise in anti-prejudice work and while the greater part of my time has been involved in Norn Iron's sectarian divide I have also been involved in anti-homophobic work

Nice one. Have you met my old friend Beaky Smoochies?  Oh, wait, you have, haven't you?

The Prodigal

Quote from: Proudhuff on 15 February, 2013, 02:00:34 PM
Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 15 February, 2013, 08:32:18 AM

Jim

Everything Jim said and as for the bible:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWuXpfXSl5Y

I am not saying for a second that this negates centuries of church sponsored homophobia but here's a bit of a bomb dropped recently by a leading English evangelical.

http://www.redletterchristians.org/steve-chalke-drops-the-bomb-in-support-of-committed-faithful-same-sex-relationships-2/

I don't want this debate to turn all theological but just to highlight that there are divirgent opinions on this out there. I personally don't want to stone anyone though I did try to hit next doors dog with an onion once.