Main Menu

Lack of love for the bundled "floppies"?

Started by sheldipez, 18 December, 2012, 12:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZenArcade

You can never get enough of the Big A comin' back at ya. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

sheridan

Quote from: Skullmo on 31 January, 2015, 11:43:13 AM
Quote from: sheridan on 31 January, 2015, 11:40:50 AM
Quote from: TordelBack on 31 January, 2015, 08:03:10 AM
Is all of Ace Trucking not in the two case files? Admittedly it'd be nice to see the annual story in colour, but beyond that..?
Ace Trucking Co Volume One was (first) published seven years ago - I don't know how available that makes it presently?

Lets imagine you were a magician who could make things happen with a swish of your hand - would you prefer them to reprint it over multiple floppies? Or just reprint the Ace Trucking Volume 1?

Personally I don't have space for bound reprints unless there's compelling bonus material included (like the 30 Years of Laughter Slaine book that came out). I may venture to my local library at some point to see if they have a copy of Ace to read, but I don't have the shelf space to buy a permanent copy. I don't throw away floppies (or give them to doctor's waiting rooms) but they're easier to store than graphic novels.  So speaking very personally I'd prefer them in floppies.
My list of suggestions was more series I liked that I think should get a wider audience than those in my position where I've read them all before and have them (sort-of) to hand.

TordelBack

Quote from: sheridan on 31 January, 2015, 11:54:30 AM...but they're easier to store than graphic novels.

Personally I find storage is one of the big pluses of GN's over piles of slippery-covered magazines.  However, I am not ever going to be against seeing more Ace Trucking Co reprints, I think it's a brilliant series, made more so by the near-impossibility of ever getting a decent revival (not even Al Ewing and Boo Cook would manage it), and deserves a wider audience. 

Skullmo

I am against more Ace reprints. yes, it's a great series but if you want to read it you have many options to see it - best of 2000ad, case files.

I would like to see new stories in the floppies.
It's a joke. I was joking.

ZenArcade

Guy Adams is doing a super job on Ulysses Sweet; but who could ever replace the amazing and much missed Massimo? Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Magnetica

Zen - spot on.   As I recall there was (possibly) only one episode / story not drawn by Massimo (Ian Gibson did it I think) , so to me Massimo is so synonymous with Ace Trucking it would be strange to say the least to see someone else drawing it.

Now I have said I generally don't read floppies but I would read them if they had Sinister Dexter, Ace Trucking or Finn in them.

Although I don't read them, I do keep them, so storage wise I would prefer Ace Trucking in multiple floppies rather than a "case files" type release.

Basically given that the floppies are here to stay, lets have the good stuff I say.

(If we keep mentioning Finn do you think it will happen?) :lol:

IndigoPrime

I wouldn't want to see any more Ace Trucking without Massimo. Of other artists who've worked for 2000 AD, Boo Cook could probably pull the strip off, but it just wouldn't be the same.

On sheridan's list:

- a collection of Future Shocks — Nice idea. I'd happily devour collections of these.
- Stainless Steel Rat — Rights issues.
- some of the Tharg stories — Oh, man. I remember when I subbed to Best of 2000 AD and they did a Tharg issue. Calling it a nadir for that run is probably being very kind. Reading it was just painful—and that was when I was young too.
- Max Normal — Could be a nice themed thing, but I wonder if that'll be in the MC...
- Helltrekkers — That was reprinted in the Meg itself at some point, wasn't it?
- Diceman / Dice Man strips — That could be interesting, if they fit.
- Metalzoic — Owned by DC, not Rebellion.
- Luke Kirby — In rights hell, otherwise this would have happened LONG ago.
- Finn — I can't stand later Finn, but would agree this should be continued.
- Revere — I wouldn't complain about another outing for this, given that it's unlikely to ever get a trade.
- Calhab Justice — Again, not a fan, but wouldn't complain about more.
[/quote]

Personally, I'd like to see Armoured Gideon continued, too. That went a bit off the boil later on, but that first floppy was a lot of fun, and the series was certainly a lot better than the likes of Harlem bloody Heroes.

Skullmo

- a collection of Future Shocks — Nice idea. I'd happily devour collections of these.
Yeah - me too

- Stainless Steel Rat — Rights issues.
Didnt that all get reprinted in the SSR book?

- some of the Tharg stories — Oh, man. I remember when I subbed to Best of 2000 AD and they did a Tharg issue. Calling it a nadir for that run is probably being very kind. Reading it was just painful—and that was when I was young too.

Agreed

- Revere — I wouldn't complain about another outing for this, given that it's unlikely to ever get a trade.

But  . . .  you can just but an extreme edition with it in from the 2000ad shop!

Personally, I'd like to see Armoured Gideon continued, too. That went a bit off the boil later on, but that first floppy was a lot of fun, and the series was certainly a lot better than the likes of Harlem bloody Heroes.

I really liked the later Armoured Gideon and would love to see it

sheridan

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 31 January, 2015, 02:56:20 PM
Nice one - I didn't like Simon Jacobs art when it first appeared, but it developed really quickly into something I did like.

Jacqusie

Hows about the later Rogue Trooper - reissued in a chronological order so we might be able to understand what happened & it all meant?

*stop laughing at the back there...*

:lol:

Dodsy

I hope they hurry up and finish Lobster Random soon! I honestly can't remeber if that thrill got a proper ending or is it one of those 'left in limbo' strips?
Twitter - @dodsy84

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Dodsy on 03 February, 2015, 12:58:49 PM
I hope they hurry up and finish Lobster Random soon! I honestly can't remeber if that thrill got a proper ending or is it one of those 'left in limbo' strips?

It stopped just as all the pieces were in place for the big, final story it had clearly been preparing for since the beginning. [spoiler]The evil Lobster-God chap broke through into our dimension, heralding many apocalyptic shenanigans.[/spoiler]
@jamesfeistdraws

Skullmo

Goaty

The highlight of it was The Vort - one of best twists in 2000AD!

JayzusB.Christ

I can't agree with you there, I'm afraid, Goaty.  It had already been done twice and to far better effect with Dredd and Sinister Dexter (although the latter never really capitalised on it, in my book).
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"