Main Menu

Lack of love for the bundled "floppies"?

Started by sheldipez, 18 December, 2012, 12:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timothy

There is more Wagner's Walk to come in next month's floppy. Not a lot - as Outlier is in there too - but there is a bit more. Others may know better than I whether there is a conclusion.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Timothy on 03 January, 2018, 02:07:17 PM
There is more Wagner's Walk to come in next month's floppy. Not a lot - as Outlier is in there too - but there is a bit more. Others may know better than I whether there is a conclusion.

I missed that. I saw that there was more Wagner's Walk and did wonder how much could be left given that Tornado only lasted 22 issues - but combining it with Outlier... well that's a very curious mix to say the least!

Bolt-01

Wagners Walk isn't complete?

Okay, we've had that before in the floppy- most memorably with Lobster Random.

I never read Tornado- or Starlord- before the mergers with 2000 AD, but I can imagine that both these titles had shorts in the style of Future Shocks- so why not split the total of the Wagners walk in half then supplement the rest of the issue with shorts? Is that not preferable to having series stop and start in the same issue as another one?

Am I missing a simple reason for this or am I talking cobblers because I 'don't understand making real comics'?

IndigoPrime

Honestly, I'd prefer that approach to the floppies, too: have mains and back-ups, if stories don't entirely fill volumes. Having the last bit in another issue is a pain in the arse when it comes to finding stuff later to re-read.

sheridan

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 03 January, 2018, 04:51:06 PM
I never read Tornado- or Starlord- before the mergers with 2000 AD, but I can imagine that both these titles had shorts in the style of Future Shocks- so why not split the total of the Wagners walk in half then supplement the rest of the issue with shorts? Is that not preferable to having series stop and start in the same issue as another one?

I put together a spreadsheet of all the stories and features that appeared in Tornado about a year ago - it's not exactly user-friendly (as in it doesn't explain what any of the stories are, though it is partially colour-coded).

spreadsheet here.

sheridan

Quote from: sheridan on 03 January, 2018, 08:51:39 PM
Quote from: Bolt-01 on 03 January, 2018, 04:51:06 PM

I put together a spreadsheet of all the stories and features that appeared in Tornado about a year ago - it's not exactly user-friendly (as in it doesn't explain what any of the stories are, though it is partially colour-coded).

spreadsheet here.

p.s. there were a few Future Shock style stories in Starlord - I think one or two of them made it into an annual a few years later - the one about alien vampires by Ezquerra, and a Casanovas one about a man being paid to dream leading to hallucinating that people around him are insects?

SuperSurfer

Quote from: sheridan on 03 January, 2018, 08:53:43 PM
p.s. there were a few Future Shock style stories in Starlord - I think one or two of them made it into an annual a few years later - the one about alien vampires by Ezquerra, and a Casanovas one about a man being paid to dream leading to hallucinating that people around him are insects?

And of course there was 'GOOD MORNING, SHERIDAN SHELDON, I LOVE YOU!' by TB Grover, Casanovas and Nutall.

sheridan

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 03 January, 2018, 10:54:12 PM

And of course there was 'GOOD MORNING, SHERIDAN SHELDON, I LOVE YOU!' by TB Grover, Casanovas and Nutall.

*groan* - the amount of people who misremember my name as Sheldon...

SuperSurfer

Quote from: sheridan on 04 January, 2018, 01:12:41 AM

Apologies if that grated. I get the same. I've had some bizarre misrememberings of my full name. Often misremembered as a name that isn't more common than mine. I often give up and don't even correct people nowadays. 

BTW IIRC that short story I mentioned was a fill-in for Strontium Dog (he comments, putting this back on topic).

A.Cow

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 04 January, 2018, 01:40:17 AM
Apologies if that grated. I get the same. I've had some bizarre misrememberings of my full name. Often misremembered as a name that isn't more common than mine. I often give up and don't even correct people nowadays. 

I can understand why people get confused -- it does look like Silver Surfer at first glance.

Geoff

Quote from: Timothy on 03 January, 2018, 02:07:17 PM

If there isn't a conclusion then some of the current writers and artists in the prog should be asked to put together a limited run to finish it off... Wagner's Walk in full colour... in the prog!

Tjm86

It does finish.  There is actually only a couple of episodes left.

sheridan

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 04 January, 2018, 01:40:17 AM
Quote from: sheridan on 04 January, 2018, 01:12:41 AM

BTW IIRC that short story I mentioned was a fill-in for Strontium Dog (he comments, putting this back on topic).

No problem (just to derail the thread again) - should probably have put an emoticon on there.  It grates when one person I've known for many years gets my name wrong, but I can take a pun :-)

johnnystress

Did anyone notice that there is an episode missing in Wagner's Walk? We get the thrilling cliffhanger of Wagner's tank exploding and we wonder has he been killed, "tune in next week"..only to turn the page to discover  all three lads are at a train yard miles away and Mike White has taken over on art duties. Did I miss an explantion in the Meg? Was the art lost or something?

Anyway, I really enjoyed this story, much more than I expected.

I, Cosh

Quote from: johnnystress on 10 January, 2018, 10:42:22 AM
Did anyone notice that there is an episode missing in Wagner's Walk? We get the thrilling cliffhanger of Wagner's tank exploding and we wonder has he been killed, "tune in next week"..only to turn the page to discover  all three lads are at a train yard miles away and Mike White has taken over on art duties. Did I miss an explantion in the Meg? Was the art lost or something?

Anyway, I really enjoyed this story, much more than I expected.

I also found it very enjoyable. The same question has been asked a couple of times. There was no explanation in the Meg but someone offered this in the review thread:
Quote from: The Amstor Computer on 24 December, 2017, 01:23:29 AM
Wagner's Walk missed a fortnight in its original run in Tornado, so there's nothing missing from the floppy reprint.

Quite why that cliffhanger was never resolved and why it mssed a couple of weeks isn't clear, but Tornado was a bit of a troubled title from launch and the crediting of the strip to "R.E. Wright" (a pseudonym used when a strip had had significant editorial rejigging, IIRC) and shift from Lozano to Mike White on art duties (as well as the suggestion that the story had originally been a Hellman tale) makes me think there was a behind-the-scenes mess of some kind.

Perhaps art was late or lost and with the title already a bit shaky it was thought better to plough on with what Mike White had started on rather than waste even more time getting those episodes redrawn? Or perhaps the strip really was just a retitled/edited Hellman tale (the timing would be right, I think - Action had wrapped up not long before and I could see a commissioned, completed Hellman strip left sitting in a drawer and subsequently hacked about to run as "Wagner's Walk") and the cliffhanger and awkward continuation with a new artist perhaps a symptom of that?
We never really die.