Main Menu

Underworld

Started by Last of the V8's, 20 September, 2003, 11:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Last of the V8's

Saw Underworld today and very good too for a horror action movie.
Rather like Blade mixed with The Crow meets the Matrix meets Manga.
Apart from finding it hard to follow in places, mainly because it is so dark and everyone wears black leather,and a few suspect actors it was a vey entertaining movie.
Nice ending too but saw it coming miles away.
I guess this also has a stomping 5.1 soundtrack but as my Cineworld only seem to have digital in a few screens I wouldn't know.
A film made for DVD.

Quirkafleeg

Saw it today on da big screen... sodding deafening

You can tell the director is from the MTV/Ad school and loves art direction (according crap SFX interview) but he can't direct actors

The plot is daft and predicatable and has some rather large holes in it and has the crap script writers stand-by, the voice over, but there were some interesting twists.

Our Kate's good in it and has a loverly rubber suit and kinky boots on... Bill Nighty (sp?) is great... eat that scenery!

Art

...Blade... ...The Crow... ...Matrix...

Is there a single original element to this movie?

Quirkafleeg

The Amstor Computer

"Is there a single original element to this movie?"

Of course - I mean, they've got vampires and werewolves fighting a centuries-long war & a couple who reach across the gulf between their "clans" and fall in love, and...

Oh.

Shit.

Art

Yeah, i know what your getting at, and theres not that much original in that either... but at least its done it a nicely and in such a way that the interaction of the stock elemenst brings some originality.  

The Amstor Computer

"Yeah, i know what your getting at, and theres not that much original in that either... but at least its done it a nicely and in such a way that the interaction of the stock elemenst brings some originality."

We might be talking at cross-purposes here. I was taking the piss out of Underworld re: the controversy with White Wolf & the use of the hoary old Romeo & Juliet storyline. I guess you're referring to A Love Like Blood?

Devons Daddy

shakespeare has stated there are only 8 stories( i think thats the number) and the bible contains them all.love,jealously,war and so on.

be fair. its got vampires,were wolves,big guns . pretty ladies,topless scenes? i like to think so. a thumping sound track and great effects. 2 hours of time spent in the cinema whilst we wait for the realease of D V D.
sounds like a fari way to spend a wet evening in the autumn to me.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Art

Slippery PD

See? Stock elements.

Hollywood stock elements?

Explosions, ridiculuos plot, more explosions, big guns, ladies in imppossibly tight outfits, muscle bound hero, pitiful humour, highly paid "stars"

Does that cover it?

Yer Slips

Quirkafleeg

Since reading the Boorman thing on Hollywood in the Guardian a couple of weels back I have now totally lowered my expectations on any film that's even slightly blockbustery... it's all gonna be same again same again until the budgetary escalation causes the business to implode

Art

I still however maintain that Charlies Angels II is a work of utter genius...

Eric Plumrose

A chum of mine forwarded this to me:

"In other news, I watched Underworld on it's opening night. I think it's a great movie and recommend it to anybody who likes the vampire genre. More specifically I want to discuss White Wolf's law suit against Sony over the movie. White Wolf is the maker of a series of Vampire work which directly relates to the Camarilla LARP which I have personally played and enjoyed. While I held off my judgment until I saw the movie I agree with the maker's of Penny Arcade who wrote this of it. If you read through the complaint it states that both works are very similar and both include a Romeo & Juliet story between a vampire and a werewolf. The book made through White Wolf was copy written in 2003. The screenplay of Underworld was copy written in 2001! Clearly if anybody has the right to sue it is Sony not White Wolf! I think however their key concern is that both are making a game about vampires and werewolves using a Half-Life engine by Valve. I don't see how that is an issue as it's an obvious choice for the quick production of that style game. In the end this law suit seems frivolous considering how many differences there are between the two works. Certainly both works are about as far from each other as they are from works like Blade and The Vampire Chronicles."
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.