Main Menu

Round 1: 1 - Michael Carroll or Pat Mills - Ultimate Not Wagner Tourney

Started by Colin YNWA, 29 May, 2020, 06:43:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

So here we are the draw is made and man do I know which ties will be getting televised - there's some doozies. Including this first one. First out the hat was a relative new comer, promoted to the top flight in the last few(ish) years but shaking up the big hitters already. BUT THEN second 2 came out next argubly the Liverpool FC of this tourney the most successful club in the competitions history but one who since the 90s hasn't had the consistent success he's got used to? Has he had the same return to form? Lets find out as you vote for you favourite writer for Tharg

Michael Carroll http://www.2000ad.org/?zone=droid&page=profiles&choice=MICHAELC

or

Pat Mills - http://www.2000ad.org/?zone=droid&page=profiles&choice=PATM (as if you need it!)

What is all this nonsense you ask well we're finding out whose 2000ad (Meg and associated items) writing do you prefer? Voting - just add a comment here with whose work you prefer (and anything else you might wish to say to discuss their work). This vote closes some time early Monday 1st June?

Want to know more https://forums.2000ad.com/index.php?topic=46461.0

Two more Round 1 votes off start tomorrow.

broodblik

Pat Mills, because of his legacy and the originality of lot of his initial works. What do count against him is that it almost feels like his newest stuff is rehashes of what he did previously.

I do like Michael Carroll's work but he only gave us one original work (Proteus Vex). 

This might be an unfair fight since it is the creator versus a writer.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

TordelBack

abelardsnazz

Pat Mills. I'm not a fan of all his stuff, but for the sheer body of work including many classics from the early days he gets my vote. An honorary mention for Michael though, as I'm a big fan of his Dredd stories.

Ghost MacRoth

Wanted to vote for Carroll, as Mills' recent preachy nonsense really grates on the cortex, but for all the past greats, it has to be Mills.
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Richard

Oh dear, this draw was hard luck for Michael Carroll! Against some of the others he would have got through to the next round, but not many people could give Pat Mills a run for his money. Sorry MC but I have to vote for Pat.

IndigoPrime

Oh, good grief. I have a lot of time for Carroll. His comics blog is excellent, his enthusiasm on the podcast is infectious, and his work for the Prog is frequently great. Proteus Vex has the potential to be a brilliantly bonkers outer space yarn that could rival Shakara and Nemesis. But... Pat Mills created and wrote Nemesis. And Sláine. And ABC Warriors. And a whole bunch of other stuff.

I'm not keen on some aspects of Mills's current writing. Too much preaching. ABC Warriors seems to be all about getting the gang back together multiple times, or mining earlier stories. Sláine after Horned God has been very inconsistent. (Book of Invasions was a return to form, but after a superb book one, Brutania Chronicles descended into shouty nonsense.) And I've no idea what modern-day Flesh is trying to do.

But, sorry, Michael, it's got to be Pat Mills for this round.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Richard on 29 May, 2020, 09:47:45 AM
Oh dear, this draw was hard luck for Michael Carroll!

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 29 May, 2020, 09:51:41 AM
Oh, good grief. I have a lot of time for Carroll...

But, sorry, Michael, it's got to be Pat Mills for this round.

Wait until tomorrow... just wait... there a few draws like this scattered through out - then one at the end that is a whooper! This is all subjective and I know I'm being a tease, but hopefully you'll forgive me for trying to drum up excitment...

Mike Carroll

Here's one vote for Michael Carroll.

You know, I really wasn't looking forward to this -- I didn't want to be pitted against creators I consider to be my friends -- but this pairing is probably a good thing because there's no way a "relative newcomer" (hah!) would be expected to beat Mr Mills, so now I have an excuse for not winning the whole thing.

While you're busy not voting for me, folks, don't forget to check out my awesome comics blog Rusty Staples!

-- Mike IS A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

P.S.: I have moderator rights on this website. That gives me the power to edit other people's posts. Just sayin'.

^ you're not the only one ;) —IP

AlexF

Michael you are an excellent sport!

My vote (as befits my forum avatar...) goes to Pat Mills.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Mike Carroll on 29 May, 2020, 11:55:28 AM
You know, I really wasn't looking forward to this -- I didn't want to be pitted against creators I consider to be my friends -- but this pairing is probably a good thing because there's no way a "relative newcomer" (hah!) would be expected to beat Mr Mills, so now I have an excuse for not winning the whole thing.

Thanks Michael - I have been a little worried that the creators who pass this way might be a little irked by being pitted against each other in some fan nonsense thing. But so far folks seem to have taken it in good spirits and you've not blocked me yet so hopefully no one minds this?

Yeah the relative was very deliberate as I still think of you as one of Dredd's new writers and didn't have the courage to look back to when you actually started for fear of feeling so very, very old!

Bolt-01

Pat Mills.

Sorry Mike - you know I love you but the ABC warriors were my gateway to thrill-power.

CalHab

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Mike Carroll on 29 May, 2020, 11:55:28 AMWhile you're busy not voting for me, folks, don't forget to check out my awesome comics blog Rusty Staples!
^ This, by the way. I would assume/hope everyone here is already reading Rusty Staples. But if you're not, you really should be. It is a superb comics blog, with tons of facts and good humour. It also works very nicely with RSS readers, because Mr C is not a sociopath who forces you to click through from a synopsis of every article.

broodblik

Mike go ahead and edit the other guys post, I do not mind  :D
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.