Main Menu

The Expanse

Started by CrazyFoxMachine, 19 December, 2015, 09:27:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Quote from: TordelBack on 14 January, 2021, 12:21:57 PM
Finding the middle of Season 2 a bit of a chore. From the inner solar system feeling like a vast and challenging place, everything now seems to be zipping from Earth to the Belt and back in the same time it takes Miller to drag a nuke into a bar.

Keep with it. I had misgivings about the first two seasons. Its was often challenge of the week in season one and other times I felt characters moved to suit plot - though the worst of those gets nicely - very nicely - addressed. There was always enough very good moments though to keep me with it. And then Season 3 - after the introduction of a character that really didn't sit well with me it basically ramps up in to frankly superb tv.

I will now go back to trying to ignore this thread until I'm caught up!

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 13 January, 2021, 07:50:16 PMModern Star Trek is mostly coasting on my good will to the franchise.
We gave up with Picard. It suffered terribly with us watching other shows at the same time, which packed more plot into a single episode than Picard managed in the four or five we struggled through. I'm not much of a Star Trek fan anyway. I watched a fair bit of TNG, but always felt the universe stilted, very American, sexist and overly 'clean' (I like my SF grubby). But Mrs IP likes it a lot and has watched entire series when I've been doing other things. Picard was a step too far. We both happily mainline The Expanse though.

Tjm86

... it takes Miller to drag a nuke into a bar.

That sounds like the start of a rather interesting joke.  What's the punchline?

broodblik

Quote from: Tjm86 on 14 January, 2021, 01:26:01 PM
... it takes Miller to drag a nuke into a bar.

That sounds like the start of a rather interesting joke.  What's the punchline?

KABOOOOM !!!!!!!
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Rara Avis

Just watched the latest episode .. it's incredible ..

Jim_Campbell

I hadn't realised that the next season will be the last. On the one hand, that makes me sad. On the other, I'm happy that the series will come to a planned ending, rather than just getting unceremoniously cancelled, probably on a cliff-hanger. (Yes, I'm looking particularly at you, Dark Matter.)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Rara Avis

Oh that's surprising, I thought there would be 9 seasons.

This week's episode was a bit of a non episode - not much happening.

Funt Solo

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 16 January, 2021, 10:14:50 AM
I hadn't realised that the next season will be the last. On the one hand, that makes me sad. On the other, I'm happy that the series will come to a planned ending, rather than just getting unceremoniously cancelled, probably on a cliff-hanger. (Yes, I'm looking particularly at you, Dark Matter.)

That makes sense as there's a [spoiler]generational shift[/spoiler] from one book to the next. I started with the books and am awaiting season book #9, which is touted as being the finale.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Mardroid

I just found out yesterday that the Star Trek animated series Below Decks is available now in the UK. It on Amazon Prime.

The tone is rather different from the various series (which can be different from each other) in that this is a comedy series. It's not just played mostly straight with the main characters providing the comedy, either. You get the impression that the whole crew are a bit silly. It's basically like Futurama in a Star Trek setting, but not QUITE as crazy as that... well, so far. It makes me wonder how canon to consider this, for that reason, but it's probably not worth worrying about that. It's quite a fun ride.

I haven't watched it all yet, but so far I've enjoyed it. There's quite a bit of homage and parody of the other series and it might go a bit overboard with the references but I haven't found that irritating yet. I did get a bit irritated by the repetitive '[spoiler]boy who is a stickler for procedure is rubbish while the cooky rebel girl turns out to be really accomplished and bails him out' stuff, but the guy does get his moment later.[/spoiler]

BPP

Quote from: Rara Avis on 22 January, 2021, 06:02:24 PM
Oh that's surprising, I thought there would be 9 seasons.

This week's episode was a bit of a non episode - not much happening.

At least it had some Punching Amos and was 100x better than the previous week Glottlestop Family Therapy Session.

TBH the whole season hasn't had much happen to the main characters aside from the insufferable weeping gal. And yet it's still infinitely better than the planet mud season.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

Mardroid

Quote from: Mardroid on 23 January, 2021, 02:12:26 PM
I just found out yesterday that the Star Trek animated series Below Decks is available now in the UK. It on Amazon Prime.

The tone is rather different from the various series (which can be different from each other) in that this is a comedy series. It's not just played mostly straight with the main characters providing the comedy, either. You get the impression that the whole crew are a bit silly. It's basically like Futurama in a Star Trek setting, but not QUITE as crazy as that... well, so far. It makes me wonder how canon to consider this, for that reason, but it's probably not worth worrying about that. It's quite a fun ride.

I haven't watched it all yet, but so far I've enjoyed it. There's quite a bit of homage and parody of the other series and it might go a bit overboard with the references but I haven't found that irritating yet. I did get a bit irritated by the repetitive '[spoiler]boy who is a stickler for procedure is rubbish while the cooky rebel girl turns out to be really accomplished and bails him out' stuff, but the guy does get his moment later.[/spoiler]

Sorry everyone! I got this thread mixed up with the general TV series thread, hence my post above waffling on about the new Star Trek cartoon. I think it was the Star Trek comparisons in previous episodes that did it. How embarrassing. I can't delete it unfortunately, but admin, feel free,if you like.

Anyway, enjoying the Expanse as well, but I seem to prefer it bit by bit. I.e. I enjoy each episode but don't feel the urge to watch the next quickly, like I do most shows.

This isn't a bad thing however. I get through shows way too quickly

Rara Avis

Quote from: BPP on 23 January, 2021, 02:28:36 PM

At least it had some Punching Amos and was 100x better than the previous week Glottlestop Family Therapy Session.

TBH the whole season hasn't had much happen to the main characters aside from the insufferable weeping gal. And yet it's still infinitely better than the planet mud season.

Who did Amos punch? How did I miss that?

I thought the same about the previous week until [spoiler]Naomi threw herself out of the airlock. Wow![/spoiler]

Rara Avis

Absolute cracker this week !

wedgeski

I can't say enough good things about The Expanse. I haven't been this invested in a show since B5's original run.

shaolin_monkey

Brilliant episode last night!! I'm on the edge of my seat re every scenario being played out. Magnificent space opera television!! For me it's kicking all other sci-fi shows into touch, except maybe The Mandalorian.