Tiplodocus

* Bump *

Going so far
Tips
Trout
Proudhuff
Chicken
Neil Ford (where's your stupid name?)

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 26 October, 2011, 01:00:46 PM
* Bump *

Going so far
Tips
Trout
Proudhuff
Chicken
Neil Ford (where's your stupid name?)

Me and Bou.

Dode C

I, Cosh

I definitely wont be able to make it now, unfortunately. Have fun.
We never really die.

Tiplodocus

Oh and I'll be driving up so if anybody needs picking up from Kilmarnock/Glasgow way, let me know.

Proudhuff

A fine day with our friends in the North, out of sheer laziness I won't list all the wonderful hints, nods,  winks and photos that Mr Wagner and others shared with us, I'll leave that (hopefully) to the Journalists who were there.

Enough to say there is now a new place of pilgrimage for Squaxx dek Thargo and some good news (possibly) for us stalkers fans of Can Kennedy
DDT did a job on me

Trout

"Hello. I'm sorry to disturb you. My name is John Wagner and I would like to take a photograph of your shed."

Best. Moment. Ever.

I had a fantastic weekend, and here are some highlights:

Driving John to the house where Pat Mills used to live, so he could take a picture of the shed they started their writing careers in. A terribly nice lady answered the door, and was very understanding, if a bit puzzled. We also spent much of the rest of the afternoon visiting places where John used to live, or drink, or both. I was told stories that would make you laugh or shudder. Some of them I will take to my grave. A perfect afternoon.

Seeing so many friends from comics together in one place. It was one of the best comics events I've been to, in those terms, but the sad result is I didn't get to spend nearly enough time with everyone. Sorry to you all.

The presentation of lifetime awards to Ian Kennedy and Cam Kennedy, and watching the moment where "the Kennedy brothers" met for the first time. In future, the award will be be presented again. It has been called The Kennedy Award. Not a dry eye in the house.

Realising the signing was taking place without John Wagner, I volunteered to find him. It was not a difficult task. He and notorious co-conspirator John McShane were of course in the nearest licensed premises. With help from the very nice Frank Plowright, these terrible men immediately drew me into their web of alcoholic sloth. We did go back to the comics day. Eventually.

Hearing Rac's exciting, yet still secret, news. Bloody good for you, mate!

Tiplodocus' question to Frank Quitely: "Is Grant Morrison mad?" The answer was yes. :) It was a discussion peppered with great affection for Grant.

Realising that Isobel, wife of Cam Kennedy, was Izzy from Kenny Who? It took me more than 24 hours after being introduced to her, but the penny eventually dropped. I suddenly laughed out loud.

Telling poor Robbie Morrison that he was a pervert for writing about bearded ladies having sex. I was only kidding but there was a moment where he thought I was serious. He blamed Chris Weston. ;)

Finally, I'm pleased that I avoided spoilers all weekend, except for this: the fate of Judge Logan.

MWA HAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Trout

I remembered another: the genuine laughter and even some applause for Cam Kennedy when he said, with a smirk, "I cannae stand Star Wars". His attitude to "George" and the unhealthy focus on squeezing income from Star Wars was very refreshing.

- Trout

Tiplodocus

Well I right enjoyed that - as did Tiny Tips.

Apologies if I miss anyone out:

Paul Gravett and his 1001 Comics to read before you die (scarily, I need to do about thirty a year to have a chance of completing his list) was "Quick but Clear"; this was Tiny Tips view.  I bagged a copy, got it signed and  it's now in my Christmas stocking.  He tried to name 5 comics genius' but actually listed 25 as he couldn't make his mind up.

The Burke and Hare boys also told an interesting tale. Strange how facts get lost and myth becomes assumed truth. Tiny Tips showed enough interest in this for us to buy a copy as well.

Death Sentence (an STD that gives you six months to live but with enhanced capabilities) looked quite interesting as well.

John Wagner was great showing us "a new mecca" and giving some tips about "strong character vs. strong situation" and some tantalising hints at future.  His hint for breaking in  "make your submission standard out" - him and Pat did a story for each of every 22 strips in COR as part of their first submission. And sold 12! Rest is history.  Oh and he's seen a cut of that thing. And is waiting to see the second cut.

Robbie Morrison was also entertaining and gave us some good hints for Dante.  And described Shakara as "Bananaman" at one point.  I asked about the differences between what Burns and Fraser brought to the art table and he confirmed that he loved both styles but played to each of their strengths when scripting.  And his hint for breaking in "Do the exact opposite of what the comic is full of!"

COMMANDO Exhibition talk - only caught half of this (as was lunching) but they talked through some of their standout artists and cover artists.  Ian Kennedy obviously got a lot of mention.  Oh and George Low (the old editor) favourite plane was the Swordfish but the new editor's favourite is the Mosquito.  I'll be rewriting that submission of mine to feature De Havillands' wooden wonder.

Tiger Games showed off a smart looking Superman game for i-things.

Colin MacNeil started shyly and nervously but came alive when he was talking about things that were passionate to him. What comics taught him about his father's generation and their role in the war and the very interesting sounding World War I stuff he is working on.

Cam Kennedy was another shy wallflower (no, not really) and told us a bit about his painting in France, a fabulous encounter with a Rembrandt - aged 9 - and, after protesting that he felt he'd trotted this out far too many times, the story behind Kenny Who. But I think we got some extra detail from him this time.  Some gorgeous unpublished sketches showing behind him.

After a cheeky question from me, Frank Quietely confirmed that Grant Morrison has a "public persona" that he wears and that he was a bit suprised when Dc editors first started giving him storytelling tips - nobody had done that before (presumably in awe of his fine lines). Wasn't that Wonder Woman picture just fabulous?

There was a general consensus that we are still waiting for the Digital Comic that does it all properly.  We aren't talking web comics or motion comics but something that's delivered in a digital style that revolutionises not only the way we view the medium but also makes us review the model by which it is delivered.  (my thinking was that this wouldn't be a COMIC then but something else entirely).

But what did comics teach me?
I  think the most common theme was do it because you love comics/writing or drawing.  But not because you want to make money out of it.

And Cam Kennedy and Ian Kennedy received well deserved lifetime achievement awards.

Oh and I now have a Superman by Frank Quitely on my Nintendo 3DS matching my Batman on my DS Lite meaning I now have the world's finest handheld consoles.

Only regret is that the lecture style nature of the event and only a couple of breaks meant that, with driving up and back in one day, I didn't get time to catch up with many boarders.

And thanks to Proudhuff for feeding Tiny Tips a caramel square - you are a gent.

Trout

Burke and Hare did look good. Let me know what you think about it, Tips. I plan to get it, sooner or later.

Also, Death Sentence was an interesting idea. I was sitting near Jimmy at the dinner last night and he's going to get in touch, so I'll probably promote it on here for him.

I was sorry I missed the Commando talk, but I think at that point I was checking into the hotel or being led astray in the pub. It was nice to meet George Low, finally, after talking to him on the phone a few times as part of a job I used to have. He's a great character.

What did comics teach me?

Try not to drink too much on a Sunday night.

Richmond Clements

Quotea fabulous encounter with a Rembrandt - aged 9

That was Colin, not Cam!
We're just home a few minutes ago and I'm too frazzled to write too much, but that was a bloody great event!

And oh, Robbie Morrison! Don't sit with him when you're drunk if you want to avoid spoilers of forthcoming strips! "I'm not going to tell you anything but..."

We got a copy of Paul Gravett's book, too, and it is a lovely thing.

And as always, it was wonderful to meet a load of boarders again - some for the first time.
Now, I'm going to eat and sleep.

Tiplodocus

QuoteThat was Colin, not Cam!
Doh - sorry.

Proudhuff

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 31 October, 2011, 10:40:35 PM
QuoteThat was Colin, not Cam!
Doh - sorry.

That's what I thought! Thought I'd mis-remembered.

Forgot about John's JD Movie comments too.

As mentioned above only drawback for those of us not staying-over: very little time to natter and concume beer! Also being the day before payday meant no purchases of some nice hardbacks that were for sale.

Good to hear the Burke and Hare GN is to get a second print too

DDT did a job on me

Cpt Rhodes

This was my first time at the Dundee comics day event and it was very cool, intimate occasion. Almost like a private con for the select few who ventured north (or south) to be there. Good to see many people I'd known from the comics and games industries all under one roof.