Main Menu

Favourite CLASSIC art droid Round 2 - Brett Ewins or David Gibbons

Started by Colin YNWA, 18 January, 2021, 06:43:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Think I know whose pulling most votes here, but its close so please if you haven't yet pop your vote in and I'll count up and annouce the winner in the morning.

Colin YNWA

VOTING CLOSED

Well wow that was close. These two are massive and much loved, between them they are responsible for some of the most iconic images the Prog has ever known. I've counted and recounted to be as sure as possible. At one point I thought this was going to be the first vote where I had to have the casting vote BUT in the end I make it

Brett Ewins

JUST into the quarter finals.

sixmo

While we are on the topic, any consensus on how 'Ewins' is pronounced?

I always assumed YOU-ins, but could it be EEE-wins?

In a fit of whimsy, I am now also prepared to consider an eastern european style V for W sound substitution and go with EV-ins!

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I believe it's pronounced Ewins, not Ewins.

I prefer Gibbons out of these two. I believe it's pronounced Gibbons.
You may quote me on that.

Dandontdare

Impossible choice - these two are so linked in my mind and you couldn't squeeze a Rizla between -em - but if forced to choose ... ummm ... Ewins

EDIT - bugger, too late, but my choice won!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: sixmo on 21 January, 2021, 12:02:46 PM

In a fit of whimsy, I am now also prepared to consider an eastern european style V for W sound substitution and go with EV-ins!

I always said You-ins but have no idea if that's right?

ming

Quote from: Mister Pops on 21 January, 2021, 12:46:42 PM

I pronounced it Boll-and when I met him briefly at UKCAC '88, as in "are you Brian Bolland?".  The look on his face spoke volumes and I think he still remembers this one.  Ah, the folly of youth!  :)

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 21 January, 2021, 03:20:06 PM

I said you - wins, and my brother said ee-wins.  Lucky Ewan MacGregor never met the Ewoks in Star Wars.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

I, Cosh

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 21 January, 2021, 03:51:50 PM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 21 January, 2021, 03:20:06 PM

I said you - wins, and my brother said ee-wins.  Lucky Ewan MacGregor never met the Ewoks in Star Wars.
Ha!

No idea how to pronounce it but it's an anagram of is wines is new, swine.

Gibbons is another artist whose 2000AD work was before my time and while I like it, it's Cam Kennedy that I associate with Rogue Trooper.

For Gargarax and Bad Company and Anderson's arse and what happened to the Blish kid, it's got to be Brett Ewins.
We never really die.

sixmo

Quote from: ming on 21 January, 2021, 03:26:51 PM
Quote from: Mister Pops on 21 January, 2021, 12:46:42 PM

I pronounced it Boll-and when I met him briefly at UKCAC '88, as in "are you Brian Bolland?".  The look on his face spoke volumes and I think he still remembers this one.  Ah, the folly of youth!  :)

Uh, oh! Crisis of reality moment! So it's not Boll-and? Is it Bowl-and?

I mean in Ireland, Boland (with one L) is not completely uncommon, and it is pronounced Bowl-and. I just kind of assumed that the extra L was doing something in there. Not as much as some extra Ls in a Zenith beastie, but it must be doing something.

Dr Feeley Good