Main Menu

Dumb IT question

Started by Dandontdare, 13 July, 2019, 09:39:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

It's about SD vs HD downloads of films and telly. If you're only ever going to be watching on sub-SD platforms (eg laptop) is is it still better to download the best quality available, or is it in any way better to download the SD version (beyond download times/file sizes). What I mean is, is it like trying to watch 3D tv on an old CRT telly?

Reason I ask is that I was poised to purchase a movie on Amazon that I missed at the cinema but doesn't quite warrant the shelf space for a DVD, and the price was identical for SD and HD - was about to click HD and wondered, is this going to look shit if I don't watch it on a HD device?

(And don't get me started on that f***g BBC iplayer app - sepadate windpws for every stage, downlaod speeds taht take longer than the actual shows, even in SD, and then the bastard refuses to play them - I've still not seen the last 2 episodes of Years and Years - they're there, they just won't bloody play! .... sorry, rant over)

Am I being thick or can you advise?

IndigoPrime

Most laptops will be way bigger than SD in terms of pixels. Also, you tend to watch at a smaller distance. So HD might be a better bet even if you'd tolerate SD on a TV. If there's no difference in price, go HD unless you lack the storage space for the download.