Main Menu

2000ad on an IPhone

Started by Rio De Fideldo, 15 August, 2013, 10:30:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rio De Fideldo

Hiya team.

I have recently been enjoying the guided view function of Comixology to read the Batman adventures to my kids on my iphone. They also enjoy the Phoenix using Panel Nines similar technology. I have tried showing them 2000ad on my iphone but the whole page appears but due to the size of the phone screen it is tiny. I have tried zooming to make the panels readable but when reading I have a tendency to drift past the correct next panel. Also this method alters the pacing of the story and takes me out of the story. Is there something I'm missing? Is there a knack to this that I'm not getting? What is the best way to read 2000ad on an iPhone?

Recrewt

Not sure why, but I thought the guided view functionality was unique to Comixology.

You don't mention how you are trying to read 2000AD - presumably you are using the iphone/ipad app?  I have not used that very much but in my experience it did not offer many viewing options.  I have started buying CBRs from the 2000AD shop and then you can copy them into any comic book reader.  I'm currently using ComicBookLover and if I remember, I will have a look tonight to see if it has a guided view option.

DrJomster

On the 2000AD app, just double tap to zoom right in. You can then zoom in / out as you wish. It also tips to landscape mode if you turn your phone on its side for those wide angle shots.

Tbh I prefer it to the guided view of comixology as I prefer being able to control the size. For me, the result is a really good, immersive read. I've got a digital sub for the prog and the meg and am one happy customer.

Hope that's helpful.
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Bah, you can pry the tactile paper prog from my cold dead hand clammy tear stained luddite fingers.
Lock up your spoons!

Muon

Sorry for jumping in, but I live abroad and I'm considering renewing my subscription as a digital subscription. I have two questions: firstly, I do not have an iPad and I don't enjoy reading stuff on my computer at home, so It's likely I'll be reading on my iPhone. I've never read a comic on such a small screen before - can anyone who does this recommend it, or would I be better off trying something else? Secondly, I'm not sure how the 2000AD app and the talk of other comic reader apps relates to a digital subscription. Am I correct in assuming that the subscription gets me the data and then I can choose on my end which app or software I want to view it with?

Thanks!!

Simon Beigh

Firstly, I view my iPhone as an emergency Prog reading device only. And, frankly, I've never been in a emergency when I have used it. For me, it's just too small. I read on my iPad.

Secondly, you can get your Thrill Power digitally by either buying it direct from the 2000 AD store or through the Apple App. You can only read the comics you buy through the Apple app on an Apple device. The downloads from the store come in the universal PDF standard and a comic reader standard CBR. You can't subscribe to the downloads from the 2000 AD store, you have to buy single issues. However, you can view these comics on any device, which is pretty handy.

I think you might be able to purchase via something like Comicology, but others will be able to confirm that.

IndigoPrime

Personally, I don't rate the user experience on a screen as small as a smartphone's for reading comics. Before jumping on, Richey, I'd strongly recommend downloading the 2000 AD app, downloading the free content, and making a measured decision based on that. Personally, I think the smallest screen I'd want to read 2000 AD on would be a standard iPad or similar. (US comics are OK on a 7-inch screen but, in my opinion, better on a 10-inch one.)

Muon

Thanks for the replies. It looks like it's a choice between downloading individual PDFs from the store or trying my luck with the iPhone. I downloaded the free content and read a few stories on my iPhone, and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would, though my eyes hurt a bit afterwards. I could understand everything that was going on, though, and I actually enjoyed zooming in and looking at details in the artwork. I'm tempted to get a month-long subscription (or an individual prog if that's possible) to see what it's like for normal progs when I REALLY want to know what's going on in the story.

Muon

OK, I had a look and it seems I can get individual progs through the app. I'll get one and see what happens. If it ends up blinding me I'll have to go through the store and read them on my home computer. Thanks a lot for the info!

I wonder what the original poster did in the end, too.

IndigoPrime

Also, be mindful iPad refreshes are imminent. If you do subscribe through Newsstand, that specific subscription will work across iOS devices. Alternatively, PDFs will of course also work across all devices with no restrictions.

Muon

From what you're saying, the balance is pretty much in favour of having the freedom to use PDFs on all devices. I might forget about the app subscription for now and just go for the PDFs until I get an iPad or something in future. Thanks.

DrJomster

The app does let you read the material on multiple ios devices logged into the same account. I read mostly on the as it happens. Not sure if you can extract PDFs from the app and read them, say, on a tablet which doesn't have the app installed. Would be interested to find out though.
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

the shutdown man

So if I get a subscription on the Apple app, and I download the CBRs/PDFs weekly, can I then delete them from my iPad and download them again later, like with music or films on iTunes? Or would I just need to store them somewhere else?
You're at the precipice Tony, of an enormous crossroads.

Simon Beigh

So there's kind-of two questions here I think - firstly the Apple app. Yes, if you remove them from the device they live in Apple's cloud and you can download them again any time you like.

The CBRs/PDFs from the 2000AD store can also be re-downloaded from your store Account page if you delete them from your computer or other digital device.

IndigoPrime

Probably worth noting that those are not the same thing. If you subscribe in Apple's Newsstand, you don't get to download the PDFs from the website—and vice-versa.