Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Jimbo

How good is Massimo's Battle of Clontarf?! Had never read this outing before, or indeed seen much colour Belardinelli - what a treat for the eyeballs!
@jamesfeistdraws

TordelBack

It's extraordinary, isn't it? Massimo was just incredible - as I've noted ad nauseum it was his wraparound cover for Prog 309 that hooked me into buying the comic in the first place.

Link Prime

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 23 August, 2018, 11:40:50 AM
How good is Massimo's Battle of Clontarf?! Had never read this outing before, or indeed seen much colour Belardinelli - what a treat for the eyeballs!

I never get tired of re-reading the 1985 annual, and truly love that Slaine story.

I distinctly recall that Dunnes Stores Kilnamanagh were selling off this annual for peanuts in the January sale in 1986- almost every kid I knew had a copy.

Mardroid

I finally picked up Slaine volume 2 and The art of Kenny Who? at Forbidden Planet today in London. Not really related to this thread, but I also got the first volume of Charley's War. There were two versions: thin but smashing looking hardbacks and these large paperbacks. I got the paperback as I believe it covers more. (It's described as 'definitive'.)

They gave me a freebie GN for spending over a certain amount. (I think they said £18. I assume it's a limited time promotional thing, or maybe they can't get rid of these books. The freebie turned out to be Realm of the Damned. I didn't realise until I had a look later, it's that futuristic Van Helsing vampire thing they ran in the Megazine, a couple of years back. Coincidentally it's a strip, I used to skip. I rarely do that, Even if I don't like a strip I will read it to get my money worth and at the off chance it improves for me. But that one I found particularly offensive. Super talented artist, though.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: TordelBack on 23 August, 2018, 11:46:18 AM
It's extraordinary, isn't it? Massimo was just incredible - as I've noted ad nauseum it was his wraparound cover for Prog 309 that hooked me into buying the comic in the first place.

It also means that Massimo was the first artist to draw and design Elfric - not to mention Slough Feg, Quagslime, Balor, the Knucker, Nest and Medb (even if those designs were often ignored by later artists)! Not bad for an artist who often feels like a bit of a second-stringer in Slaine's story.
@jamesfeistdraws

Magnetica

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 27 August, 2018, 03:54:26 PM
It also means that Massimo was the first artist to draw and design Elfric

I must have missed that. I don't have the Ultimate Collection book- where does Massimo's Elfric appear?

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Magnetica on 27 August, 2018, 11:46:08 PM
Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 27 August, 2018, 03:54:26 PM
It also means that Massimo was the first artist to draw and design Elfric

I must have missed that. I don't have the Ultimate Collection book- where does Massimo's Elfric appear?

The 1985 2000ad Annual in a Slaine strip called 'Battle of Clontarf; (spelling from below!)

sintec

Was just catching up on this thread in anticipation of the arrival of more thrills when the doorbell goes and finally issues 25 and 26 arrive.  From a quick flick through these both look gorgeous; that painted Belardinelli really is something else, I hope the story can do it justice.  Now do I finish my current Dredd (last bit of The Pit) or crack straight into Meltdown Man or Slaine and come back to the Dredd later...

Tomwe

Yeah. my books are here too. The Sin/Dex book's contents was one we queried early on due to the sheer number of appearances in the prog and Smith talks about this in the intro. The progs covered are:
984, 988-989, 992-993, 1024-1031, 1051-1061, 1079-1082, 1084-1086 & 1090-1091.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Tomwe on 28 August, 2018, 11:30:53 AM
Yeah. my books are here too. The Sin/Dex book's contents was one we queried early on due to the sheer number of appearances in the prog and Smith talks about this in the intro. The progs covered are:
984, 988-989, 992-993, 1024-1031, 1051-1061, 1079-1082, 1084-1086 & 1090-1091.

Hmm - by no means a complete collection, then. That's a shame - three books could surely have given us everything up to Eurocrash (the natural stopping point)?
@jamesfeistdraws

Tomwe

I was just about to recycle my cardboard container when I realised I had two bits of paper inside. Yes folks, it's the second covers special, apparently being sent out automatically next month. Since I opted out the first time I really assumed I wouldn't get offered another one but that's just too easy isn't it. An email has been duly sent. Fingers crossed we don't have another skipped delivery like we did in March.

IndigoPrime

Give it a year and subscribers will be four months behind.

moldovangerbil

They'll clearly use this as an opportunity to make everything right and bring subscribers back up to date. *Ahem*.

Tomwe

Quote from: moldovangerbil on 28 August, 2018, 03:02:58 PM
They'll clearly use this as an opportunity to make everything right and bring subscribers back up to date. *Ahem*.

moldovangerbil

Just got my delivery.  I didn't opt out of the covers gallery so naturally I only received it after chasing them on facebook several times and unsurprisingly I haven't received the letter about volume 2.....