Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

von Boom

The Legendary Shark

You ain't got no father - you was assembled in the crater of Mount Vesuvius from da bodyparts of clipped wise guys.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

von Boom

Smith

von Boom

Love Sharpe! Top notch stuff.

The Legendary Shark

"You expect them to fight for a rag on a pole?"

"You do, Richard. You do."

Love Sharpe - going to have to watch it again myself, now.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

von Boom

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 10 June, 2018, 12:30:06 PM

Cox was wonderful as Major Hogan.

That's it. Time to start the series over again.

Mardroid

After watching the first series of Supergirl recently* and seeing [spoiler]a certain red suited bloke literally cross over[/spoiler] I decided to catch up on other series in the DC television multiverse. **

I have Amazon Prime on trial at the moment. I intended to start with The Flash, but it doesn't seem available there. (I did see a couple of the first episodes a while back, but wasn't all that taken by it,[spoiler] but the main character seemed likeable enough in his crossover episode on Supergirl, [/spoiler] so I figured I'd give it another chance. Well I will later, anyway.)

I decided to watch Arrow instead. Considering it's made by the same people, it's darker than Supergirl and less comedic, although both shows do drift into both territories on occasion. (And both have a cute blonde girl who generates much of the comedy, albeit in different ways.)  I think they wanted to create something gritty and realistic with Arrow, [spoiler] although they do move from that in series 2 by introducing a whole bunch of people with superstrength and the genesis of The Flash[/spoiler]. With Supergirl it seems they wanted to stay truer to the comics... with a bit of Ally McBeal thrown in. (I don't just mean the actress, but the whole tone of the show, although ironically it's actually less surreal than Ally sometimes was. Kryptonians, electric people and cybernetic suits don't equal a dancing cartoon baby in surreality).

Two series in, I've enjoyed Arrow a lot, although Oliver [spoiler]bedding every attractive woman he meets (bar the cute IT girl) is a tad ridiculous, including moving from sister to sister then possibly back again.[/spoiler] They seem to be plundering the Batman villains somewhat***, although to be fair, I don't know know how much crossover there is with the villains in the comics.

So far so good. And considering events in series 2, [spoiler]it worked out well seeing this before The Flash.[/spoiler] I look forward to series 3.

I then decided to dip back into the Marvel cinematic universe with the first two episodes of Cloak and Dagger.

Again, very different from the DC shows, and even the Marvel shows I've seen before. It's closest to the Netflix Marvel shows than anything, but only comparatively speaking. Tonally, it reminds me of certain independent movies, although it's difficult to explain why. It's early days yet, but I like it so far. The young leads are interesting, and the show seems to have something interesting to say about life. And Death. And light and dark, but I guess that's a given.

I can't say I recognised the city as New Orleans as it looks very different to the city in Preacher series 2, but no doubt there are districts.

* A really enjoyable amusing series. A bit corny in places but all the main characters are interesting and the lead is adorable.

** In DC's case 'TV multiverse' seems more accurate than 'DC cinematic universe' since the DC film-verse is separate from the telly-verses, and there seem to be at least 3 DC telly-verses so far, if we include Smallville. Apparently there is cross-over though.

*** Amusingly, considering a certain throwaway quip in Supergirl, Batman himself might actually exist in her universe rather than the Arrowverse, although he might exist in both.

Smith

Binged the whole first season of Cobra Kai in one day.Great stuff.

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: von Boom on 10 June, 2018, 04:26:29 PM
Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 10 June, 2018, 12:30:06 PM

Cox was wonderful as Major Hogan.

That's it. Time to start the series over again.

And then there's Pete Postlethwaite burstin' for his scratchin's - just in case further persuasion is required!

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Tjm86

Quote from: Mardroid on 10 June, 2018, 05:09:02 PM
After watching the first series of Supergirl recently

I then decided to dip back into the Marvel cinematic universe with the first two episodes of Cloak and Dagger.

Supergirl is definitely brain candy but enjoyable enough.  My wife and daughter are quite into it, I tend to dip.  Flash was enjoyable enough the first series but I think I might have binged a bit too much and haven't been able to get back to it.  Might have to give it another shot.

The start of Cloak and Dagger was certainly interesting.  The standard origin story but then again they've tweaked it from the comics nicely.  Arguably enough there to warrant a follow up when the next episode comes around.

I have to be honest, I gave up on Preacher a while back.  Really couldn't get on with it.  Perhaps it's because I enjoyed the original so much and it doesn't seem to have the same quality.  Don't really know ...  Again, perhaps I should give it once last stab, particularly now that a lot of the stuff that I have been watching has wrapped up for a while.

Theblazeuk

Flash is good, has loads of nods to DC easter eggs. You need a break though as every problem can be solved by RUN FASTER WALLY (and Wally is an idiot, likeable but an idiot. Stop messing with time Wally!)

Professor Bear

What gets me is that Wally actually needs a room full of super scientists to tell him to use his own Flash powers.  I sometimes wonder if there was maybe an early episode that I missed where he turns up to a fight with a gun or something and everyone is like "no Wally there's a better way to do this" so their shouting in his ear for the rest of the series makes sense.  As it is, he just looks like a moron.

Theblazeuk

Revealed that I grew up in the 90s. The Flash is obviously Barry Allen, not Wally West :P

Professor Bear

LOL shows how little I care about these characters that I didn't even notice.