Main Menu

Last game played...

Started by Keef Monkey, 11 June, 2011, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesC

Shadow of the Colussus sounds a bit like the latest Castlevania which I got really fed up with!

I'll check out Hotline Miami. I like to have a couple of arcadey titles that I can just stick on for 10 minutes while I'm waiting to go out. Pacman Chapionship Edition DX and Crazy Taxi filled that role on the Xbox.

I may rent out Journey - I think it's in the library. I'd like to give it a go but don't want to gamble twenty quid on it.

Goaty

I believe there is demo of Journey?

Bobblehead

Quote from: JamesC on 30 July, 2013, 01:28:59 PM
I may rent out Journey - I think it's in the library. I'd like to give it a go but don't want to gamble twenty quid on it.

I think theres a 3 pack for £15 (might be £20) that contains Journey,Flower and Flow,that you can get,i know my local Game has it anyway.

Not played any of them but ive heard that theyre alright.

Richmond Clements

Recently completed the new Tomb Raider. A bit too sweary and Lara is hilariously indestructible, but generally very good.

Now playing Lego Batman 2, which is astoundingly good. Have complete the main story and am only 21% complete.

On the phone, I downloaded Infinity Blade II a couple of weeks ago when it was free. Took a while to get into it, but it's very good.

shaolin_monkey

Shadow of the Colussus sounds a bit like the latest Castlevania which I got really fed up with!

It's about as far removed from Castlevania as you can get.  It's a beautiful game, but you need to be patient with it.  Check out the reviews on Metacritic.

Ghost MacRoth

Sniper Elite V2.  Loving the x-ray kill cam, so unnecessary but utterly hilarious!! :D
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

Professor Bear

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 30 July, 2013, 05:45:57 PM

It's about as far removed from Castlevania as you can get.  It's a beautiful game, but you need to be patient with it.  Check out the reviews on Metacritic.

Shadow of the Colossus shares nothing with Castlevania beyond that they are both third person fantasy games from Japan.
Just this last hour I have done for the final two colossi and beat the game and I am wondering why I left it so long to do so, it's a magnificent game with a laser-like focus upon its central premise of being a platformer where the platforms are alive, moving, and determined to ruin your day.  Stripped-down to the most basic of design and gameplay elements, it probably passes most people by what an intricate piece of work this game really is that it sustains its desolate atmosphere from beginning to end without ever drawing attention to the world its created that isn't western fantasy or lore, or Eastern fantasy or lore, it's its own Fiddler's Green, self-contained to the point this in itself is probably some part of the story - when there is mention of the open world play area being a "sealed land", I got to wonder if it was meant to be another plane of reality, or even limbo because of the lack of any NPCs other than Agro, the beautiful horsey fucker who comes into their own at several times in the game when he/she/it pitches in with your fights, the flying desert battle being the most memorable.
Just brilliant.  I have heard some complain about the controls, but those can be redefined if triangle being jump (instead of X) is confusing.  I started playing this to get it finished so I could wipe it off my HD and make room, but I'll probably keep it for a while yet to get some trophies and take Agro for the odd dander.

As for other PS3 exclusives, I wouldn't bother much with Resistance 1 and 2, but 3 is pretty great - you won't miss much in terms of story or setting by skipping the first two, it's just "post-alien America" shooting time.  Killzone 2 is okay if you like your FPS' challenging, but again, 3 is the place to start.  The Jak and Daxter trilogy is probably a budget release about now, so if you fancy some of the finest 6th-gen platforming available - and Jak 2 - then it's a no-brainer, as to a lesser extent is the Sly Cooper Trilogy, which is solid all-ages gaming and well worth a look.  The Uncharted series I have reviewed up the thread, but the short version is: brilliant games - cut scenes in 2-minute chunks so you couldn't possibly complain about story getting in the way, varied gaming sections and challenges, likable characters, and best of all a real gamut of difficulty settings ranging from one you can sleepwalk through to one that demands your attention even when walking your character around a corner, but all completely doable.  I would recommend playing through those before hitting The Last of Us, as they share a game engine, but Last of Us is more challenging to the point it's almost unfair on you (ie: killing enemies with guns won't get you ammo or guns from their corpses) and you'll wnat to be familiar with the play mechanics.  Last of Us is fantastic - a game that treats the player as their own beast rather than that nerd who just wants to hammer buttons or that guy who wants to sit through a 40 minute cutscene, this is where games start treating you like someone who knows that game and story can be the same thing, essentially being a very clever action game masquerading as survival horror, whose central premise - the one element around which all else revolves from gameplay to backstory to the marmite ending that spits on The Walking Dead's high school dramatics - is that your character(s) are "the one who lived" and all else flows from that, and when that journey plays itself out, the game is over regardless of what else may need to be said.  "Saving the world"?  That's a McGuffin for children!
I've never really got into Little Big Planet despite the massive online community built around making and playing your own levels and sharing them with others, but the kids love it, especially in 2 player (on or offline), but luckily you should get a free months' worth of Playstation +Plus membership with coupons given away with a great many games so you can download it for free once you're a signed-up member and check it out yourself.
Journey is good fun, but once you join up with the giant whale angels and fly through the giant vagina at the end (it looks like), I'm not sure if you'll play it again, and it's a pretty slight experience on the one play-through.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Shadow Of the Colossus is a gorgeous game.  I've only ever played it once, it was with a mate, and between us we finished the whole thing in one sitting, then went back and played the Colossi we'd each missed the first time, then went back again just to explore and generally dick about until we were both too drunk and tired to keep playing. It was 6am at that point. One of the best computer game experiences I've ever had.
You may quote me on that.

radiator

I've been working my way through the back catalogue of (excellent) games podcast Cane & Rinse - the downside being that I've ended up impulse-ordering games they're discussing - that I'll inevitably struggle to find time to ever actually play...

The other day I got copies of Vanquish and Bayonetta off eBay for around a fiver each(!). They're both highly-praised games that have long been on my radar, but I never bought due to not being impressed with their respective demos.

So I'm just getting started on Bayonetta, and tbh my initial thought on it is "Edge gave this a 10/10?!?!".

It's just so.... esoteric. Aggravatingly so. Horribly designed interface, poor player communication, and with an aesthetic that is so aggresively, deliberately eccentric it's kind of annoying. Seriously, if you can sit through the utter gibberish that are the cutscenes for more than ten seconds, then you're a more patient person than me. The combat seems OK, but is so fast and chaotic that I find it genuinely hard to keep up with, and frequently lose track of my character. There are also some pretty dull quiet sections which I wasn't expecting in a primarily combat-focused game. I'm hoping that I'll warm to it, but so far I really don't see what all the fuss is about.

I also ordered a copy of Rhythm Heaven for the DS to play on my 3DS (which I got for something like £3!). Used to play it a lot on my old DS Lite, and it remains a complete joy. Such an amazing game.

JamesC

Just finished the first Uncharted. Really enjoyed it.
I thought the characters were good and it had a real sense of fun - it totally nailed the 'adventure movie' vibe it was going for. The twist at the end came as a surprise and genuinely effected the game-play, making it feel very frantic.
I thought the end boss battle was a bit lame and basically came down to learning a series of button presses but the little cut scene at the end made up for it.
It shows its age a bit compared to the latest Tomb Raider which is the most similar game I've played but overall I'm very impressed.

Radiator - Bayonetta is bonkers. I quite liked it myself but if you don't like it after about an hours play then you're probably not going to.

I strongly advise you to try Vanquish as soon as possible though. If you like action packed third person shooters it's as close to perfection as I've played in terms of mechanics. There is a story but it's a load of old bollocks and I think you can skip the cut-scenes.

radiator

The older I get, the less time I have for game narratives and cutscenes. I barely get any time to play games, so I'm sure as shit not going to sit round watching them.

I will persevere with Bayonetta, but even if I do get into it, there's no way on Earth it's a 10/10 - it's far too arcane and borderline impenetrable to be anyone's idea of perfect.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Just play vanquish. I loved it.
Lock up your spoons!

Recrewt

Quote from: Professor James T Bear on 30 July, 2013, 08:23:26 PM
As for other PS3 exclusives, I wouldn't bother much with Resistance 1 and 2, but 3 is pretty great - you won't miss much in terms of story or setting by skipping the first two, it's just "post-alien America" shooting time.

Totally agree.  The step up in quality from Resistance 1/2 and 3 is almost unbelievable.  Everything is better - story, graphics, gameplay.  I keep telling friends about it but they don't believe me - you can pick it up for virtually nothing second hand and it has to be one of the most enjoyable games I have played on the PS3.  I would definitely recommend this.

I, Cosh

Quote from: radiator on 07 August, 2013, 11:55:29 AM
So I'm just getting started on Bayonetta, and tbh my initial thought on it is "Edge gave this a 10/10?!?!"
Yeah, I got this cheap a while back and felt much the same. Don't really remember the cutscenes but after about four or five levels of indicriminate and inconclusive button mashing I gave up on it. It's no Viewtiful Joe, that's for sure.
We never really die.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: The Cosh on 07 August, 2013, 10:29:47 PM
Quote from: radiator on 07 August, 2013, 11:55:29 AM
So I'm just getting started on Bayonetta, and tbh my initial thought on it is "Edge gave this a 10/10?!?!"
Yeah, I got this cheap a while back and felt much the same. Don't really remember the cutscenes but after about four or five levels of indicriminate and inconclusive button mashing I gave up on it. It's no Viewtiful Joe, that's for sure.

Yep, same. I thought Bayonetta was the biggest pile of tosh ever, and a complete wate of money. Just my opinion though - we appear to be in the minority.

Ah, Viewtiful Joe! That takes me back to my GameCube days. Loved that little box! Still have it in fact. Rogue Squadron Ii was epic, purely cos it came with the first Rogue Squadron as a split screen co-op.  Many a happy battle over Endor my mates and I had!