Main Menu

2000AD stories - Big Plot Holes

Started by Goaty, 11 January, 2013, 07:44:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mididoctors

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 18 January, 2013, 09:35:53 AM
Quote from: mididoctors on 18 January, 2013, 09:27:59 AM
I had to make an effort to suspend my disbelief about why they couldn't just fly the vaccine to mega city 2 instead of rolling across the curst[you heard] earth in a killdozer odyssey...still made a great yarn.

The Death Belt, apparently... Although why they could not fly over or around it is not explained...

yeah the death belt... that old plot coupon  :D

radiator

QuoteThe Death Belt, apparently... Although why they could not fly over or around it is not explained...

Or, you know, just fly the other way around the planet?

JayzusB.Christ

Vast tracts of post Horned God Sláine.  The fact that his past was changed, to the point of forgetting who Ukko was, then it suddenly back to normal again, for example.

And that the ABC Warriors suddenly went back to 22nd (?) century Mars from Nemesis' far future, seemingly without the use of time travel.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Colin Zeal

Maybe not a plothole, but I could never understand why Dredd was able to be flown to Hondo during Judgement Day when nothing could fly. There was some comment about keeping Justice 1 (I think they used) in line with the city but it didn't make sense to me.

Hawkmumbler

The police that got gunned down by CMK. Or has this been addressed a thousand time's by now?

Dan Kelly

Remember that the basis for the Undercity can be found in Edinburgh where they did just concrete over teh existing streets and build ontop.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_King's_Close

opaque

There's lots of places even now that have tunnels and passageways as well as the bridges, cellars and closes Dan Kelly mentions.
In the same way I've never thought the undercity was the whole of MC1. It's just in some areas.
I think at the time I first read about it I thought the reason it was covered not just demolished was speed and technological advances making it possible.

Trout

Quote from: Dan Kelly on 18 January, 2013, 01:08:05 PM
Remember that the basis for the Undercity can be found in Edinburgh where they did just concrete over teh existing streets and build ontop.

I've been down there. It's creepy as hell.

And yes, it is just whole streets covered over and forgotten for years.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Supermarine Troutfire on 18 January, 2013, 01:47:31 PM
Quote from: Dan Kelly on 18 January, 2013, 01:08:05 PM

I've been down there. It's creepy as hell.

And yes, it is just whole streets covered over and forgotten for years.
Sound like fun!

Trout

It's great. I confess it's gone a little bit touristy but it's still worth the effort. I've never much liked Edinburgh (it's very hilly and I get lost a lot in its windy streets) but I'd recommend it for a short break. Lots of nice pubs and plenty to do.

Plus a miniature Undercity.  ;)

Proudhuff

Quote from: Supermarine Troutfire on 18 January, 2013, 02:26:17 PM
It's great. I confess it's gone a little bit touristy but it's still worth the effort. I've never much liked Edinburgh (it's very hilly and I get lost a lot in its windy streets) but I'd recommend it for a short break. Lots of nice pubs and plenty to do.

As I never stop telling tourists, you can't get lost in Edinburgh simply look upwards: Arthur's Seat and/or the castle are always there, simply triangulate where you are from there. Always works when I wake up somewhere strange.  :D

oh and there will be lots of this undercity in up and coming The Major stories
DDT did a job on me

I, Cosh

Quote from: Proudhuff on 18 January, 2013, 02:57:34 PM
Quote from: Supermarine Troutfire on 18 January, 2013, 02:26:17 PM

As I never stop telling tourists, you can't get lost in Edinburgh simply look upwards: Arthur's Seat and/or the castle are always there, simply triangulate where you are from there. Always works when I wake up somewhere strange.  :D
Fine for direction but, like MC-1, not elevation. The problem is often that it's still on different levels: Sneaky Pete's and Bar Kohl probably have exactly the same GPS co-ordinates, for example.
We never really die.

Dr Feeley Good

Quote from: radiator on 18 January, 2013, 10:40:58 AM
QuoteThe Death Belt, apparently... Although why they could not fly over or around it is not explained...

Or, you know, just fly the other way around the planet?
...Never thought of that !!

WhizzBang

I read all the Nemesis books recently and there is a major plot hole in it (unless someone can enlighten me),

Torquemada dies forever mid way through (end of book 4, I think) and then an earlier version of him is plucked from a previous time for the remaining stories. This Torquemada is eventually killed too so he is never returned to his timeline to do the stuff he did in the first 4 books.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: WhizzBang on 18 January, 2013, 11:12:51 PM
I read all the Nemesis books recently and there is a major plot hole in it (unless someone can enlighten me),

Torquemada dies forever mid way through (end of book 4, I think) and then an earlier version of him is plucked from a previous time for the remaining stories. This Torquemada is eventually killed too so he is never returned to his timeline to do the stuff he did in the first 4 books.

Because...a warlock did it. The way I see it, all the problems in the 2000AD multiverse can be explained by either Thoth fucking up the timelines or Indigo Prime being shit at there job.