Main Menu

New Poll: Harry Kipling or Lobster Random - which one do you want to see more of?

Started by 2000AD Online, 20 August, 2007, 01:14:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2000AD Online

I, Cosh

When it comes to aquatic named characters, Kippers is the Codfather for me and I always have a whale of a time with it, while Lobster's a bit like being slapped in the face with a wet fish.
We never really die.

Satanist

TBH I dont really care for either but if push came to shove I'd go for Lobster. Just because of the art.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

nofuture

Love Lobster Random.  More robot-shagging soon please!http://www.rebeccacampbell.net/Images/Blog%20Pics/new%20cylon.jpg">

Tweak72

+++SARCASTIC MODE: ONLINE+++DO NOT LIKE THE VIDEO RECEPTER IMAGE OF YOURS MUCH+++SARCASTIC MODE: OFFLINE+++http://www.toyraygun.com/monrobot.jpg">
+++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING++++++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING+++

jabish

Lobster Random isn't too bad at all when it doesn't try too hard but I'm not a fan of Harry Kipling.

That said I'm a bit scared of being lumped with the obnoxious wankers that the writer so elegantly talks about in Thrill Power Overload.

Keef Monkey

I like them both me. Prefer Lobster though, but Boo Cook's art almost swings it....picked Lobster.

JOE SOAP

"That said I'm a bit scared of being lumped with the obnoxious wankers..."

I wank rather elegantly.

Floyd-the-k

Obnoxious wankers being anyone who talks about not liking Harry Kipling? Or just the board in general?

Dudley

Woof! Woof!http://www.primidi.com/images/bear_robot_carrying_soldier.jpg">

jabish

"Obnoxious wankers being anyone who talks about not liking Harry Kipling? Or just the board in general?"

No he talks about people who don't like his stuff no matter what and calls them Obnoxious Wankers.

Thrill power overload really is warts and all and shows how some people can be overly defensive. everyone's entitled to their opinion.

Funt Solo

::"people who don't like his stuff no matter what"

Well, there does seem to be a pattern, sometimes, of people disliking a particular writer, rather than their stories.  So, whenever said writer produces a new story, people may openly dislike it on the basis that it was written by that writer, without taking the time to just read the story and figure out what they think of that.

Further, in criticising the writer, rather than the story, they may come across as "obnoxious wankers" - a bit like the people that call Pat Mills a homophobe or a mysoginist, based on highly spurious arguments backed up by very selective evidence gathering techniques.

I liken it to the phenomenon of hating Tom Cruise (for either his bizarre religeous beliefs or some of the turkeys he's starred in), and therefore not being able to appreciate some of the amazing acting he's capable of.  (I'd personally cite examples such as Magnolia and Rain Man, just to get started.)

People (me included) can be really bloody rude about 2000AD creators' work, so I'm not sure why a defensive vibe springs up when a creator reacts to it in (relative) kind.  

It smacks of an obvious hypocrisy - especially in jabish's last statement, there - where he defends the right of everyone to have an opinion whilst at the same time criticising someone for expressing theirs.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

El Spurioso

"No he talks about people who don't like his stuff no matter what and calls them Obnoxious Wankers."

Let's remain in-context please, Jabish.

Rumour control.  Here are the facts.

"Yeah, itâ??s definitely a marmite strip.  I have all sorts of theories about why some people love it and some people hate it; mostly to do with exactly what people expect to get out of their prog: a religious experience, or a pulpy diversion.  Bec & Kawl is silly, light-entertainment nonsense for people who like silly, light-entertainment nonsense, and thatâ??s the start and end of it.  Ultimately it comes down completely to the personal tastes of each individual reader, and if you try to pigeonhole or second-guess them youâ??re only going to end up making an idiot of yourself.  For what itâ??s worth Iâ??ve noticed B&K seems to go down pretty well amongst the fairer sex and the younger readers, but it has its hardcore fans and its hardcore detractors amongst the noisiest parts of the fanbase too.  There was a time when I got quite depressed about it not being greeted with universal adoration, but thatâ??s the sort of thin-skinned idealism that quickly gets trampled as you grow older, as you continue to learn and develop, and above all as you start getting good at ignoring the obnoxious wankers whoâ??ll always hate your work no matter what."

Richmond Clements

Mmmmm...

Now I don't know who to believe..!

Dudley

So in Spurrier's opinion one is an obnoxious wanker if one hates his work regardless of its quality.

Difficult to disagree with that...